Need some help with secondary essay ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedaymore1128

Reaction score
I am struggling with the secondary essays (the diversity and the challenge ones) for so long and finally have come up with some ideas...hoping someone could take a look at it and give me some feedbacks!

For the diversity one, I was thinking of talking about a traditional Chinese musical instrument that I have played for 12 years. I joined a musical band/ensemble which includes solely traditional musical instrument throughout high school and recently in college as well (the band just started). I was not involved in creating the band in college though. And in college, we tried to mix Chinese music with western music and also inviting people who play western instruments to join, not only for fun but also hoping that more people who were unfamiliar with traditional Chinese music may start appreciating this. So this experience not only trains my team working and interpersonal and artistic skills, but it shows my effort and passion in bringing essences from different practices together and trying to find a new fusion that works for more people (like Asian fusion or CAM in healthcare...) hope this analogy and the whole rationale makes sense...

For the challenge one, I was just thinking about coming to the US alone for college and had to adapt to everything here...some language barrier, huge cultural shock, but nothing else. Not sure if this would work...

I do have some other thoughts about the challenge one, like I was obsessed with body image greatly for a period time and had very mild eating disorders but I was cautioned not to write about this.

Another thought about the challenge one is that for a long time I was “advised” and discouraged to come to US and especially pursue a medical profession from my family members because I am a girl-although they have supported me financially. This is a cultural thing, as in my home culture there has always been a saying that girls had better marry a good man instead of pursuing a good career lmao. But I felt like this topic might be too broad and was not necessarily a challenge, as in the end I was financially supported. I just had to ignore those voices lol. (Also women in stem is also underrepresented in US as well so it’s kind of a global issue, but worse at my home)

Any feedback is welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the diversity one, I was thinking of talking about a traditional Chinese musical instrument that I have played for 12 years. I joined a musical band/ensemble which includes solely traditional musical instrument throughout high school and recently in college as well (the band just started). I was not involved in creating the band in college though. And in college, we tried to mix Chinese music with western music and also inviting people who play western instruments to join, not only for fun but also hoping that more people who were unfamiliar with traditional Chinese music may start appreciating this. So this experience not only trains my team working and interpersonal and artistic skills, but it shows my effort and passion in bringing essences from different practices together and trying to find a new fusion that works for more people (like Asian fusion or CAM in healthcare...) hope this analogy and the whole rationale makes sense...

For the challenge one, I was just thinking about coming to the US alone for college and had to adapt to everything here...some language barrier, huge cultural shock, but nothing else. Not sure if this would work...

These sound fine.

think your diversity essay idea sounds really good & would go with the coming to the US alone for college story for the challenge essay. Good luck!

Diversity: please explain to me how the experience of being an immigrant, teen,alone, being in a different culture, was not being engulfed in diversity each and every day across culture, social life of teens, educational difference is not the obvious choice for diversity? This is how you have experienced diversity, how you lived it every day, how everyday you learned and listened

Challenge: please explain to me why this is to directly linked to the above almost two sides of same issue: this is how you managed the challenge of diversity; of being the outsider
Thanks for the reply! These are definitely diversity. I will likely tie the moving to the US part into the first one if the school only has the diversity essay. For the schools that have both diversity and challenge, I was just thinking that it would be better to talk about different things, or at least different perspectives of the same thing.

Also, while these are obvious choice for diversity and challenge, I feel like a lot of people have experienced similar things since America is a country of immigrants. And the challenges I meet daily are actually a lot of tiny things. But tiny things seem to be hard to describe, or make them sound like these are great challenges...

My PS also mentioned a lot about culture stuff in medicine so I don't really want to write everything on the topic of culture, although this is definitely a significant part of me...and it's hard for me to think of other things that are not standard premed stuff but adds diversity/is challenge