Need Some Honest Advice! Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IKA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate with a BS and BA (double major) from a California school in June. I have a 3.45 cumulative and a 3.2 science GPA. My numbers are quite low, I know. To top it off I took the MCAT after my second year and got a 29: 11PS 8V 10Bio. I took it again the year after that and thanks to excessive stress and hyperventilating, I only got one point higher (30): 10PS 10 V 10Bio.

I have quite a few extracurriculars and I studied abroad so I think I'm okay on that front. Also, I am willing to take the MCAT a third time if necessary. If I do, I could get a 33 and hope for a 35.

What are my chances of getting into any medical school? I really want to apply and I think I'll apply regardless since I want it so much. Still, I have to be realistic and spend more time on back up options if I basically have no chance. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! Your advice will be super helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools, just fine, but that sGPA will hurt you the most. Going from 29 -> 30 isn't that impressive either. Try only the lowest of the low-tier MD schools like Rosy Franklin or NYMC.

I'm going to graduate with a BS and BA (double major) from a California school in June. I have a 3.45 cumulative and a 3.2 science GPA. My numbers are quite low, I know. To top it off I took the MCAT after my second year and got a 29: 11PS 8V 10Bio. I took it again the year after that and thanks to excessive stress and hyperventilating, I only got one point higher (30): 10PS 10 V 10Bio.

I have quite a few extracurriculars and I studied abroad so I think I'm okay on that front. Also, I am willing to take the MCAT a third time if necessary. If I do, I could get a 33 and hope for a 35.

What are my chances of getting into any medical school? I really want to apply and I think I'll apply regardless since I want it so much. Still, I have to be realistic and spend more time on back up options if I basically have no chance. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! Your advice will be super helpful :)

30 is not bad as MCAT scores go. You don't get any extra credit for the double major that apparently harmed your gpa. It's just not in line with the other applicants from CA.

Retaking the MCAT has already weakened your application (a little). I don't recommend another retake, it might turn out even worse.

You are only competitive (on stats) for Loma Linda, Drew and maybe UCR (have to wait for their first class's stats) as long as you are personally congruent with their mission. I will agree with Goro on your suitability for DO programs.

There are at least a dozen OOS programs where you have a decent shot at an interview if
you get the MSAR and apply strategically.