Need Some HONEST Advice/Sugg. PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proverbs31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some honest advice-constructive please.
Today took my first NBME #1 online : 350 = Not passing USMLE.

I just finished an intense 1 week Board prep course. Mostly hitting main points/RR path info at my school. We skimmed thru RR Path book.

I am scheduled to take the USMLE in 3 weeks-June 9th.
Honestly: Ive done maybe on/off studying-a little here and there for about 2wks. Have NOT finished FA once yet or any book for that matter but RR Biochem.

I am aiming for a 240 on the USMLE. But honestly I would be happy at 220 or better. (Im alright with average).

Is this a reasonable goal? Or would you suggest to push the Test back? I start rotations June 9th-therefore if its pushed back-I have only nights and weekends (if I get weekends) to study. Thus this weighs on the benefit /risk of pushing it back. But I have solid 24/7 days till June 9th to study. I have Kaplan and USMLE WORLD Qbanks I bought and have only done about 100 Qs.
Am I too late on time or is this score/time left to prepare adequate to score 240?

I appreciate your honest constructive criticism in advance.
Thanks

Books I plan to use: RR Path, BRS Physio, MMMRS, FA ,HY neuro/Beh Science And I have Golijan audio lect.

Members don't see this ad.

hello.....i thot i'd start by saying that i thyink your name and the quiote u have at d end should be something u shd neva loose sight of.......TRUST IN GOD.......thats not something u are goin to hear a lot about here but i tot i shd start by reminding you of that......there is nothing God cant do......i know i will probably get ridiculed on this forum for taking this position.....but who cares.....secondly.......i nthnk you might seriously want to consider pushing it back maybe a week or two and see where that leaves u.....but go thru the forum and read other peoples posts there are some amazing advice.....but wteva u decide.......KEEP YOUR HEAD UP.

Your performance really isn't something one can predict. It is possible to make huge jumps in a matter of weeks, however, >240 is lofty. Most people spend a least a couple months shooting for a score like that. Just work hard and see what you can achieve.

When I took my first NBME I didn't do so hot, but I wasn't even trying to gauge what I would get. I just wanted to see what questions were like and how to pace myself and such. For me, it was a matter of taking the test for the first time. After that I really did try and apply knowledge/test taking skills on the ensuing NBMEs and my scores have jumped by leaps and bounds.

Even if people write telling you you're screwed or you're going to the rock the exam - it really is irrelevant and might end up making you feel and perform worse. Get a good question bank and take one subject at a time, and see where that takes you.

buckle down and hit the books hard. there are certain things that you learn on SDN...for the USMLE, you get out what you put in. So if you want a 240, you can't be studying "on/off". this is a full 10-12 hr job everyday for weeks. You have 3 weeks, i think it can be done, but you're going to have to go full force at it...i believe there's a verse related to your name..."woman who rises early..."; seems like the perfect opportunity to me ;)

books looked good, but if you aren't getting through them all, stick with FA and RR path; can't go wrong there. Get as many questions done as you can, i'd say focus your energy on UWorld, and understand the explanations.

finally, take NBME #3 about a week before your test. Seems to be the best predictor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pushing back would be nice, but not if it goes into rotations, as is the case for you.

Given your schedule, you will probably get the highest score you are capable of getting if you take the test right before your first rotation. It's hard to say what that score will be.

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your replies and responses back (cheeksie, buster, Lord, gouda). I appreciate your words of wisdom. I am heading home today and will just go for it. Made a long schedule last night and I'm sticking to it! Will keep you all posted! 3 weeks...here we go! :)
Thanks again for all your time and words! Meant a lot to me and gave me the confidence to push for it.

Please take another NBME maybe #2 like a week before the test, and make judgement based on that test. remember NBME is very accurate on estimating your actual USMLE score

OK....I will. #2 or #3? Which do you think? And of course if I truly think Im just not there. Ill push it back but I want to go for it. Thanks for the suggestion. Ill let you know how I do.