Need some ideas for Medicine Club

colortastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in high school and I really want to start a Medicine/Health Sciences club, but I'm in need of some ideas of things we can do! I have some ideas already such as: job shadow once a month together, fundraisers for toys and whatnot during the Christmas time or money to go on trips, and candy strippers during Christmas time. But I think I need more ideas before I can present this idea to my Health Sciences teacher so she can be our sponsor. Any ideas at all would help greatly!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in high school and I really want to start a Medicine/Health Sciences club, but I'm in need of some ideas of things we can do! I have some ideas already such as: job shadow once a month together, fundraisers for toys and whatnot during the Christmas time or money to go on trips, and candy strippers during Christmas time. But I think I need more ideas before I can present this idea to my Health Sciences teacher so she can be our sponsor. Any ideas at all would help greatly!!!

:rofl: Just remember to put down "stripers."

*Ask physicians to speak on certain lecture topics for the club.
*Offer volunteering positions in hospitals, or at least make the process somewhat easier for pre-med students.

It's always good when these clubs do philanthropic work... The toys for tots idea was a great one. You could also look into volunteering at local nursing homes.

You could also get a bone marrow donor registration drive going for your school. They only accept donors over age 18, but a good portion of the senior class and staff could register.

I also like the idea of bringing in speakers to talk about their various careers in the health care field.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Health club at my school does blood drives twice a year. The club helps run it. They do it during the school day and I think it lasts for an hour or two after school. A lot of the students participate (you only have to be over 16 and get out of class). They also tried doing relay for life before.

:rofl: Just remember to put down "stripers."

*Ask physicians to speak on certain lecture topics for the club.
*Offer volunteering positions in hospitals, or at least make the process somewhat easier for pre-med students.

HAHA. I laughed so dang hard when you just said that. Dear, if I was to type that they would have looked at me a little strange! Hahah I didn't mean for the extra 'p'.

I like both of your ideas too. I'm writing them all down and I'm going to take them to my Health Sciences/Med. Term teacher to see if she thinks its a good idea. I hope I can get this club started for next year! It would be amazing!!! :D

In addition to physicians, have nurses, PAs, pharmacists, audiologists, rehab therapists (PT, OT, and SLP), respiratory therapists, midwives, techs come in to speak about their jobs. Not everyone who is interested in medicine becomes a doctor, after all. If you can't find any willing professionals, college/grad students from these areas would gladly come in to give a short talk about their fields.

You can also probably organize a CPR class(es) to get people certified. There's two types, but I forget which version is the one ambulance corps need to see for you to be an observer.

could make PSAs for your school talking about drinking dangers and unprotected sex. :laugh:

How do you get physicians to come talk? Do you simply just call around?

And will hospitals allow groups of high schoolers to tour their facilities?

How do you get physicians to come talk? Do you simply just call around?

And will hospitals allow groups of high schoolers to tour their facilities?

I'd probably start by seeing if anyone has a parent that is a doc (or knows a doc) that could come and talk before resorting to random phone calls.

As for hospitals giving tours... that might be a stretch. If you have a medical school in your area, you might contact their office of admissions and let them know about your club and see if your can get a tour of the medical school (or their anatomy lab). My school offers both of those to HS students.

Good idea. There are two medical schools 30 min away, so that can be a possibility.

Do you usually offer to pay the physicians that come in to speak?

What else do premed clubs in high school do? (Im planning to start on next year)

Good idea. There are two medical schools 30 min away, so that can be a possibility.

What else do premed clubs in high school do? (Im planning to start on next year)

Having never done this before, I'd say you would start by seeing if they'd volunteer. Maybe try to get Pizza for the group, etc and you can say that you'd provide dinner.

If you get into speaker's fees, I honestly don't know how much is reasonable, but if you run into a doc that demands a speakers fee to come talk to a group of high school students about what it's like to be a physician, then you might want to see if you can find someone else that would do it for free (I think there are a lot out there that would volunteer). I believe most of the speakers that have come to speak at group meetings at my school are local docs doing it for free and we feed them.

Just a note on the anatomy lab tours, those are usually pretty good experiences for HS students. My school has a group where first and second year students will bring HS classes down to the anatomy lab, we have a prosected cadaver that we use and we show the students basic human anatomy. If they're interested in something in particular, we can talk about that. It's a pretty good experience for pre-health professionals. I would definitely contact the local schools and see if they have anything like that.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the club up and running when school starts in Aug