Need some insight on admissions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whiskers35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I have browsed the SDN forums for about a year now, but this is my first post. I need some advice. I can take criticism, but please bear with me.

I fear that I have been sucked into the typical "SDN mindset". I am very confused on what I should be doing for ECs. On one hand, many people say to "Do what you love," however, what I love are hobbies that don't fit the mold of what is typically expected of a pre med. For example, I have a true passion for amateur astronomy, and I am a member of a small astronomy club at my school, and I have a chance to take a leadership position, but it's not president or vice president. Going off the opinion of this website, it would be "pointless" to pursue this. Similarly, I have a love for playing the piano, but I have no awards or recognitions for playing. I just love playing. So, doing what I love isn't working for my application.

I will give a brief bio: I am a sophomore attending a state school in Michigan, entering my winter semester as a biology major. I have taken all of the pre reqs except organic chemistry II and the physics series, and I have a 4.00 GPA. I have 25 hours of shadowing a family doctor, an emergency room doctor, and a radiologist. I have roughly 14 hours of volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, and have participated in intramural sports. I will most likely be volunteering soon at the hospice center in my hometown, and I am also very close to securing a spot in my former genetics professor's research lab, in which he studies the genetics of cardiovascular disease. I also have worked at a job at my father's business for the past 6-7 years. Also, I am in the Honors College at my school and have found it to be an absolute waste of time. Will this look bad to admissions that I've had 2 honors courses and then none the rest of my academic career?

Now, the main point of this thread: I have dreams of attending the University of Michigan for medical school, and have used this site for help in deciding what to do for extracurriculars. However, I fear this site has given me a mindset that A) if I don't attend U of M or a similarly ranked school, that I won't be at my full potential, and B) despite having a perfect GPA, that I am simply not doing enough.

Please, SDNers, give me some advice and help me relax. I love science and the idea of being a physician, but I feel that the admissions process is consuming my life. Thank you all. Sorry for the lengthy and neurotic first post.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need everything. Stick with astronomy--you need something that you're passionate about to talk about in interviews. You also need the generic checklist experiences that everyone else has (shadowing, research, volunteering). If you push yourself out of your comfort zone while you're at these experiences, you'll have much higher quality answers in interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
^Agree with above. Stick with the things you enjoy even if you're not president of the astronomy club or an award-winning pianist. Do them because you enjoy them and also because they'll give adcoms insight into who you are beyond just being a premed.

I think you need to take a deep breath and do your best not to succumb to classic SDN neurosis. After all, you're only a sophomore. You have a perfect GPA. Keep it up and focus on getting some patient interaction. Hospice sounds like a great way to do that. Research, while not a requirement, is a great opportunity and will look good, particularly if you're planning to apply to research-heavy schools. Sounds like you're on the right track to me. Remember that the goal is to become a doctor. If you get into U Mich, that's awesome. If you don't, there are plenty of other schools that will get you where you want to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your thoughtful replies :)

If anyone else has some more helpful advice, it would be greatly appreciated!