Need some insight: Urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys in quite a predicament right now. So I applied to SABA and got rejected without an interview, they sent my file over to MUA, who conducted an interview and accepted me. This is for the upcoming September 2018 semester, orientation is this monday so I am scrambling at this point.

I also have a conditional acceptance from AUC in the form of a MERP in December, 2018 and then upon successful completion, admittance for May 2019.

Important things to note, I’ve been out of school for a long time, AUC calculated my sGPA at 2.9, MCAT was a 26 with a 30 day prep, I was scoring 30-32 in the samples and decided to gun it. I have been working as a project manager ever since I left school for work. I am 26, I am also Canadian. I was studying for my PMP over the past summer so I was putting in 8-10 hour study sessions at the local starbucks no problem.

MY thing is that I am extremely scared on what to do, I literally have till tomorrow to get all my things sorted out for MUA. The one pro with MUA is that it will give me a headstart of 8 months, its also cheaper. The Canadian dollar isn't doing so well, but I have family support and they have assured me that money is not an issue. Also Nevis requires certain medical tests done before they can give you a VISA, and since I got an acceptance from MUA yesterday nobody can get this results in before I have to be on the Island this Monday. I spoke to their staff and they told me to come to the island and the staff will help me get those tests done locally, I am looking at missing two days worth of classes though in the first 30 days. Is this a big deal?

with AUC, the island is better, its more expensive, but with MERP I’ll definitely be on the right track to succeed on St. Maarten. It’ll also set those ever loving study habits. Things I am looking forward to are US clinical rotations, MUA placed two candidates over the past 10 years in Neurosurgery residencies. That is a huge deal but they place such a tiny amount of residents and not in desirable places either so theres that. I am looking to practicing some form of IM and or some kind of surgical speciality in the NYC area. Both AUC and MUA place students in Ortho and Surgery (General and Preliminary)

Right now I am so anxious on what to do, it seems so overwhelming. I hate rushing things, and not planning in advance so my nerves are on the edge. With MUA I can start the medical school journey this time next week, but with AUC i’ll have to wait 8 months. I really need help on the pros and cons of each school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow. No to both.
You need to step back and take a breath. It sounds like you got sick of your job and decided to pick up on this med school dream that you abandoned years ago, went to google and discovered caribbean medical schools. You mention things like neurosurgery (in an undesirable location) and IM and/or surgery in NYC. You will definitely not be a neurosurgeon (or any other surgeon for that matter) if you attend a caribbean school.

Both gpa and MCAT scores indicate that you are a poor student. I assure you- if you hop on a last minute flight and show up late for class with the academic tools that earned you a 1.9 and 26 you may as well just donate 1 semester tuition payment to MUA and stay home.

Take a step back and re-evauate your goals. Continue your job and repeat pre-med classes. Then in a year or two take the MCAT and see where you stand. At this point you should be able to apply to DO schools if performance is adequate.

If you get rejected and cant live life without being a doctor (assuming youre ok with potentially practicing family medicine in the middle of nowhere), by all means take your shot.

Reactions: 3 users
How would you explain the match lists these schools release then? They have multiple individuals placing in surgical placements across the U.S, the Neurosurgery placement was in University of Toronto (quite desirable), albeit in 2009. I need to make a more informed decision, I agree. Also one of the perks of working at a corporation is that you cant just pack up and leave. so leaving so quick is not feasible. I think I'll re-evaluate why I decided to impulsively decide on medicine again. Thank you for the great advice

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How would you explain the match lists these schools release then? They have multiple individuals placing in surgical placements across the U.S, the Neurosurgery placement was in University of Toronto (quite desirable), albeit in 2009. I need to make a more informed decision, I agree. Also one of the perks of working at a corporation is that you cant just pack up and leave. so leaving so quick is not feasible. I think I'll re-evaluate why I decided to impulsively decide on medicine again. Thank you for the great advice
These schools have no obligation to release facts.
A surgical prelim position is the waste basket from which no IMG can can get a license.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes there are people who get categorical surgery positions. Theres also the one guy who got plastics, ortho, neurosx etc.

The point is, do not expect that this will be you.

Everyone thinks they will suddenly be a great student and crush the boards. Even if thats true you may not match anything outside primary care. You have to be ok with that.

Hi guys in quite a predicament right now. So I applied to SABA and got rejected without an interview, they sent my file over to MUA, who conducted an interview and accepted me. This is for the upcoming September 2018 semester, orientation is this monday so I am scrambling at this point.

I also have a conditional acceptance from AUC in the form of a MERP in December, 2018 and then upon successful completion, admittance for May 2019.

Important things to note, I’ve been out of school for a long time, AUC calculated my sGPA at 1.9, MCAT was a 26 with a 30 day prep, I was scoring 30-32 in the samples and decided to gun it. I have been working as a project manager ever since I left school for work. I am 26, I am also Canadian. I was studying for my PMP over the past summer so I was putting in 8-10 hour study sessions at the local starbucks no problem.

MY thing is that I am extremely scared on what to do, I literally have till tomorrow to get all my things sorted out for MUA. The one pro with MUA is that it will give me a headstart of 8 months, its also cheaper. The Canadian dollar isn't doing so well, but I have family support and they have assured me that money is not an issue. Also Nevis requires certain medical tests done before they can give you a VISA, and since I got an acceptance from MUA yesterday nobody can get this results in before I have to be on the Island this Monday. I spoke to their staff and they told me to come to the island and the staff will help me get those tests done locally, I am looking at missing two days worth of classes though in the first 30 days. Is this a big deal?

with AUC, the island is better, its more expensive, but with MERP I’ll definitely be on the right track to succeed on St. Maarten. It’ll also set those ever loving study habits. Things I am looking forward to are US clinical rotations, MUA placed two candidates over the past 10 years in Neurosurgery residencies. That is a huge deal but they place such a tiny amount of residents and not in desirable places either so theres that. I am looking to practicing some form of IM and or some kind of surgical speciality in the NYC area. Both AUC and MUA place students in Ortho and Surgery (General and Preliminary)

Right now I am so anxious on what to do, it seems so overwhelming. I hate rushing things, and not planning in advance so my nerves are on the edge. With MUA I can start the medical school journey this time next week, but with AUC i’ll have to wait 8 months. I really need help on the pros and cons of each school, I didn't even consider MUA until I got rejected from SABA. I do know someone starting at MUA in September as well so theres that.
Can you enlighten us as to why you think that you can make it through medical school with a sGPA that low?

The Carib schools grow fat and rich off of gullible desperate people like you.

Wonder how much commission MUA paid SABA for the 'lead'?

Reactions: 1 users
Can you enlighten us as to why you think that you can make it through medical school with a sGPA that low?

And considering that SGU has apparently accepted an incoming class this year of 1500 students they seem growing very fat and rich indeed. There were 3 white coat ceremonies this term alone. How greedy can you get?

First of all it was a typo, my sGPA wasnt a 1.9 it was 2.9. Also what kind of fallacious reasoning is that, so if I was a sub-par student 5 years ago, naturally I must be the same sub-part individual, lol. That being said, I am a different individual then when I was a student, I struggled with severe depression and other anxiety related issues when I was in University, didnt seek help until my senior year and ended up with a low GPA. My fault cant change the past.

Now, though I work for a multi-billion dollar corporation in the aerospace sector, working on projects where budgets exceed $10 MM+. The work ethic, time management, organizational skills I possess now are far superior to when I was a student. No one is gullible or desperate, I have a cushy 6 figure salary with great upward mobility. I've always had a desire for medicine, and just felt like applying so I did ; got accepted for two different programs, trying to decide on if should I pull the trigger and go for one of them. Most of my friends that are physicians have "enlightened" me on the fact that it doesn't require a genius to go through medical school, there is a lot of information, you need to able to process it and put in the hours to do so in an effective manner. Calm yourself for thinking you are some sort of special fluffy unicorn for being in medicine. I asked whether MUA or AUC, Thanks for the non-relevant $0.02 though.

Yes the study habits are not cemented yet especially for the sciences, but I will be surrounded by like minded peers, perhaps they can form there. I dont know if that is pragmatic since I am not in medical school, hence the ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all it was a typo, my sGPA wasnt a 1.9 it was 2.9. That being said, I am a different individual then when I was a student, I struggled with severe depression and other anxiety related issues when I was in University. Now, though I work for a multi-billion dollar corporation in the aerospace sector, working on projects where budgets exceed $10 MM+. The work ethic, time management, organizational skills I possess now are far superior to when I was a student. No one is gullible or desperate, I have a cushy 6 figure salary with great upward mobility. I've always had a desire for medicine, and just felt like applying so I did ; got accepted for two different programs, trying to decide on if should I pull the trigger and go for one of them. Dont need to be a condescending dickwad about a time when I wasn't at the best point in my life. Most of my friends that are doctors have "enlightened" me on the fact that it doesn't require a genius to go through medical school, there is a lot of information, you need to able to process it and put in the hours to do so in an effective manner. Calm yourself for thinking you are some sort of special fluffy unicorn for being in medicine. I asked whether MUA or AUC, Thanks for the non-relevant $0.02 though.

Yes the study habits are not cemented yet especially for the sciences, but I will be surrounded by like minded peers, perhaps they can form there. I dont know if that is pragmatic since I am not in medical school, hence the ask.
They also prey upon the gullible.
So far, you have evidence that that you can handle medical school, especial one that works on a business model of dismissing underperforming students.

Look, we're trying to protect you from making a $250K mistake. Here's why:
The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Quoting the wise gyngyn: The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib threshing machine (like Skip Intro or mikkus) into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

Medical School at SGU

"Why didn't I Match?"

The fact that you were rejected from SABA is actually quite telling.

First of all it was a typo, my sGPA wasnt a 1.9 it was 2.9. That being said, I am a different individual then when I was a student, I struggled with severe depression and other anxiety related issues when I was in University. Now, though I work for a multi-billion dollar corporation in the aerospace sector, working on projects where budgets exceed $10 MM+. The work ethic, time management, organizational skills I possess now are far superior to when I was a student. No one is gullible or desperate, I have a cushy 6 figure salary with great upward mobility. I've always had a desire for medicine, and just felt like applying so I did ; got accepted for two different programs, trying to decide on if should I pull the trigger and go for one of them. Dont need to be a condescending dickwad about a time when I wasn't at the best point in my life. Most of my friends that are doctors have "enlightened" me on the fact that it doesn't require a genius to go through medical school, there is a lot of information, you need to able to process it and put in the hours to do so in an effective manner. Calm yourself for thinking you are some sort of special fluffy unicorn for being in medicine. I asked whether MUA or AUC, Thanks for the non-relevant $0.02 though.

Yes, this is extremely pragmatic and borderline delusional. Stay in the aerospace sector unless you want to open yourself up to a situation that could potentially make you lose everything.

They also prey upon the gullible.
So far, you have evidence that that you can handle medical school, especial one that works on a business model of dismissing underperforming students.

The fact that you were rejected from SABA is actually quite telling.

Thank you for this post, I understand your perspective. The numbers dont make any reliable sense, if these were vegas odds, I would never do it. But at the end of the day, I have no other choice. My grades are piss-poor, I work in a non-health care sector, my MCAT is piss poor, if I have to redo everything that will take me the next few years focusing on it full time. How am I suppose to quit my job, with nothing to show for it with no reliable chance of even an acceptance. The Caribbean gives me a meager shot at the dream. I'll reach out to said users and re-evaluate. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your GPA is 2.9 rather than 1.9, you DO have another choice and it's a much safer one.

No, you won't be able to start medical school this year, but odds are great you would be able to finish sooner and also finish successfully.

Aerospace isn't medicine, but it's a field that garners respect. Two years of part-time school with top grades should erase any stigma of your past academic struggles. Then a good MCAT (which will be much easier after two years of related coursework) and your numbers are all better. Volunteer in your community -- some medical, some not -- and you're golden.

And if you try to tell me that 35 is 'too old' I'll have to whack you over the head with my cane.

Important things to note, I’ve been out of school for a long time, AUC calculated my sGPA at 2.9, MCAT was a 26 with a 30 day prep, I was scoring 30-32 in the samples and decided to gun it. I have been working as a project manager ever since I left school for work. I am 26, I am also Canadian. I was studying for my PMP over the past summer so I was putting in 8-10 hour study sessions at the local starbucks no problem.

Right now I am so anxious on what to do, it seems so overwhelming. I hate rushing things, and not planning in advance so my nerves are on the edge. With MUA I can start the medical school journey this time next week, but with AUC i’ll have to wait 8 months. I really need help on the pros and cons of each school.

If the Caribbean schools are your only option and you dead set on this path - Merp with AUC would prob be best. With MERP you can hone down your studying skills and actually see if medical school is a good fit because the Merp classes does cover subjects like anatomy and biochemistry that you will see in your first semester. If you can make it through Merp - you’re likely to be fine in the basic sciences. With MUA you won’t have time to develop study skills and see what learning methods works for you because you’ll hit the ground running; but with MERP you’ll get some time to develop these skills and also have some prior exposure to the classes you will be taking when you start at AUC which can be a adavantage to you especially give you been out of school for a few years.

If the Caribbean schools are your only option and you dead set on this path - Merp with AUC would prob be best. With MERP you can hone down your studying skills and actually see if medical school is a good fit because the Merp classes does cover subjects like anatomy and biochemistry that you will see in your first semester. If you can make it through Merp - you’re likely to be fine in the basic sciences. With MUA you won’t have time to develop study skills and see what learning methods works for you because you’ll hit the ground running; but with MERP you’ll get some time to develop these skills and also have some prior exposure to the classes you will be taking when you start at AUC which can be a adavantage to you especially give you been out of school for a few years.

Thank you for the great advice, I'll either take on a few pre-med classes over the upcoming few months and try to study for the MCAT as well. we'll see if both are feasible. If not, I'll join up the MERP program once December draws nearer. No need to rush, and develop myself as a student properly.

Thank you.

If your GPA is 2.9 rather than 1.9, you DO have another choice and it's a much safer one.

No, you won't be able to start medical school this year, but odds are great you would be able to finish sooner and also finish successfully.

Aerospace isn't medicine, but it's a field that garners respect. Two years of part-time school with top grades should erase any stigma of your past academic struggles. Then a good MCAT (which will be much easier after two years of related coursework) and your numbers are all better. Volunteer in your community -- some medical, some not -- and you're golden.

And if you try to tell me that 35 is 'too old' I'll have to whack you over the head with my cane.

I'll definitely consider this, thank you so much for the great advice. Much obliged. Yes definitely 35 is not too old at all haha.

I personally would go SGU route if I Caribbean was my only option. Sounds like you are determined so have a go at it. It can be a big mistake or a success but you live and learn.

Last edited:
Please stop doing this. Form your own thoughts. This reeks of cross-posting, and you should know this is a ToS violation. Besides, many of those arguments posted have been unpacked and debunked ad nauseum on this forum.

Do a search people.

-Skip

That user has been posting an average of 15 times per day 7 days a week for the last 8 or so years. I highly doubt that is a real person let alone someone who works in administration.

That user has been posting an average of 15 times per day 7 days a week for the last 8 or so years. I highly doubt that is a real person let alone someone who works in administration.

Well, I certainly would not argue with anyone who concluded that @Goro's self-esteem and need to be right is heavily invested in this forum. I mean, I've been here a long time and feel like I post a lot on SDN. Yet, his posting rate is 2,685% greater than mine. Staggering.

-Skip

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.