Any current AUC students that can give me some feedback about the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostpremed_1

Reaction score
I'm currently considering AUC even though I originally really liked SGU but since they lost their accreditation i'm looking into AUC now. As far as Ross I heard they are big on weeding people out and a current student I talked to didn't recommend it.

I just had some some questions for anyone at AUC now.
1) How does a student get dismissed? Can they repeat the class/semester if so how many times?
2) Are their exams very nit-picky?
3) Do students usually finish in 4 years?
4) Is there a Comp exam/NBME you have to pass with a certain % before taking Step 1?
5) If you could go back would you still go to AUC or another school? How is your experience so far?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Given that Ross and AUC are owned by the same parent company, most of their policies are similar in terms of dismissal. With that being said I believe at AUC (at least pre-COVID) they got to take each exam twice and was awarded their higher score which sounds interesting and not something we get at Ross. Ross dismisses more students as they have larger class sizes but percentage wise they are roughly the same.

Oh I see thank you for responding. Does Ross still have the Comp exam which you have to pass before taking Step 1? I talked to AUC's advisor recently and they said they only have a practice exam stimulated to be like the real Step 1 exam but you don't have to pass it with a certain percentage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see thank you for responding. Does Ross still have the Comp exam which you have to pass before taking Step 1? I talked to AUC's advisor recently and they said they only have a practice exam stimulated to be like the real Step 1 exam but you don't have to pass it with a certain percentage.
They got rid of the requirement of having to pass it but just reinstated the need to pass it this semester, which is unfortunate. I would guess AUC did the same thing. I'm assuming pass rates for Step 1 were slipping and they decided to reinstate it. You have your 1st try a week or so after the end of your final semester, if you fail it than you will be given 6 weeks (I think) for your 2nd try, and if you fail that, than you have a 3rd attempt. Failing it thrice puts you up for dismissal with the school and would require you to defend yourself with ADCOM in an attempt to get reinstated.

A 5th semester I spoke to back when I first started said that 1st time pass rates were very low (like 10-15% low) since you have to take it right after the semester and during the semester you have your plate full trying to do well on exams. He said 2nd time rates were better (like 60ish %) and by the 3rd attempt most students will pass but there's still some that don't (I believe he said like 10-15% are in that camp).

I'll be taking it next term so hopefully it goes well.

I'm currently considering AUC even though I originally really liked SGU but since they lost their accreditation i'm looking into AUC now. As far as Ross I heard they are big on weeding people out and a current student I talked to didn't recommend it.

I just had some some questions for anyone at AUC now.
1) How does a student get dismissed? Can they repeat the class/semester if so how many times?
4) Is there a Comp exam/NBME you have to pass with a certain % before taking Step 1?
5) If you could go back would you still go to AUC or another school? How is your experience so far?

Thank you!
I wish somebody would answer his questions!!!

I wish somebody would answer his questions!!!
lmao the problem here is that there arent a lot of AUC students to begin with and a lot less on forums like SDN/reddit. You're better off reaching out to an alumni or current students than on this anonymous forum.

Instead of "wishing" someone would answer, why dont you be more proactive and search for who can answer those for you rather than waiting to be fed the answers. You'll get mostly the same answers where you should always go to your own country's medical school first if you plan on practicing there.

You're better off reaching out to an alumni or current students than on this anonymous forum.
The challenge of finding an objective first-hand opinion is significant.
Someone recommended by the school is likely to cast the experience in a positive light (no matter what).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The challenge of finding an objective first-hand opinion is significant.
Someone recommended by the school is likely to cast the experience in a positive light (no matter what).
I agree. Likewise, someone who doesnt like the school will only put out negative things. Finding someone who is not biased and remains neutral is crucial, which is why this person needs to be able to differentiate between the biases on both ends, the ones who are trying to shed only positive light vs those who only shed negative light. If they are unable to do that, then they should not even think about going down this path. Even if they can, I can't say if it is still even worth it or not.

I was a student at auc many years ago but did not graduate. At that time, each incoming class had 100 students x 3 incoming classes per year. So I wouldn’t say there aren’t a lot of auc students, it’s just hard to know about their bias. People who are still students or already graduated will try not to say too many bad things because it will hurt their own prospects. People like me, who had bad experiences, will think most about that in their responses to you. And there are a lot of us like that. (On one of the first days of class, 1 of the faculty told us to look to the left and the right of our seat. Either me, or 1 of the people next to me would not be there in 4 years. Looking back at the people who dropped, the faculty member was about accurate. And that’s not counting the people who were held back/repeated.) So take my advice with a grain of salt, especially since I left a few years ago.

Students most commonly seemed to get dismissed for failing classes beyond what is accepted. I can’t remember exactly then, but you shouldn’t repeat a class more than twice (you can repeat) and you can’t fail more than a certain number of classes in a semester. You’ll have to check on these in their student handbook. I am sure you can get dismissed for unprofessional behavior but I have never heard about that or seen an auc student behave in a way that would warrant that action.

They are pretty standard and you could score well if you work hard. We had a practice standardized exam for finals once.

On average, no. Only the strongest pass in 4 years. This minimum threshold is not the measuring stick you should use though. Look at the match for a given year and count the number of graduating students versus the number who started 4 years before. Also See comment above.

There was when I was there. I think this can only help you because the school will save you from taking the exam before you are minimally ready.

I would have not gone to auc at all. I would have fixed my gpa, studied harder for the mcat and maybe gotten a masters degree. I would have applied to us schools.
I think auc and Ross are the safest options in the Caribbean now, but they are not actually safe options. The student accomodations and resources are like vacation and actually exist, respectively. caribbean schools, mo matter which 1, will be happy to use you in advertisements if you make their school look good. But you will not be helped if you have difficulty, a big possibility if you had academic issues or test anxiety in the past or if you are just immature. There is a pitiful amount of research capacity at these schools compared to mid tier us schools, so know that you need to seek out research opportunities in your own.
If you are not past 26 years old and you think you have learned how to be a good student, go back and fix your mistakes. You can do better and you deserve better. It’s a difference of a couple years in graduating med school but your experience in med school and your job prospects are likely to be vastly different.

Reactions: 2 users