Need some major encouragement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxifoneforgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or a reality check.

Hi everyone. I am really starting to worry about whether or not I am going to be able to even apply to medical school. It's my dream and has been for quite some time now. However, I don't know now. I am not able to get the straight As that I am sure some you can. I just want to be able to help people and I know if I got a chance at an interview the ADCOMs would know that. My problem is...I don't even know if i will ever get that chance. Just looking for something here. This is one of the few places that I know where people can encourage. Please help...

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to have straight A's. Just try your best and stick with it. Supplement your application with some great ECs and life experiences, and you will be okay as long as you have a decent GPA and MCAT. Don't give up and don't let it all overwhelm you. Just take it one step at a time and then the next thing you know, you will be sitting there in med school. Good luck!:luck: :luck: :) :love:

You’re right, if your GPA is too low, medical school might not be possibility. Though we’ve all heard of individuals with 3.0s and below getting into medical school, I’m under the impression that this is a rare phenomenon.

That being said, straight A’s are not necessary. My grades ranged from a single C+ (damn freshman Spanish) to A’s -- most were in the B+ to A range. Like most of us, I did better in the sciences, mostly b/c I enjoyed them more than my other classes. Don’t forget, AACOMAS allows you to retake classes and substitute your new grade. Hang in there, work hard, and don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't think there are very many people that have gotten straight A's. Heck, my grades have been all over the place :eek:
But its all a matter of persistence. Just like Doc Mom says, keep plugging away. It is a huge, humbling, time-consuming process, but everyone still gets through it anyway.
I, and I am sure many others also, went through phases where I wondered if I am cut out for medical school, whether I will get in, and all these self-doubts.
It all boils down to how much you want it. If you really want, by all means, don't stop!
Depending on how far along you are, just make sure you know what all you need to do in terms of classes and when you are ready to start the application process, start it early. Give yourself plenty of time. Just worry about the next step. If you are still taking pre-reqs, worry about those only now. If you are taking the MCAT, worry about that. If you worry about every part of the application process, it gets very overwhelming!

Good luck and remember, generations of pre-meds before you have felt the same way you do!

Or a reality check.

Hi everyone. I am really starting to worry about whether or not I am going to be able to even apply to medical school. It's my dream and has been for quite some time now. However, I don't know now. I am not able to get the straight As that I am sure some you can. I just want to be able to help people and I know if I got a chance at an interview the ADCOMs would know that. My problem is...I don't even know if i will ever get that chance. Just looking for something here. This is one of the few places that I know where people can encourage. Please help...

believe in yourself kiddo, from my experience science GPA is the most critical part of your overall GPA. So rock the sciences and make sure you dont fail your gen ed classes. You can no doubt live your dream when you realize it wont be a dream anymore!

Or a reality check.

study harder.

Straight A's are for losers.

don't worry... i had C's in both orgo 1 and 2... on top of having a 2.23 my first semester of college... i still got in. I had to work hard and pull my GPA up the rest of college, but even then I wouldn't be getting all A's in science classes. If you're above a 3.0, then you'll have a shot at DO school.

You don't need straight A's. Theoretically, a mixture of 50/50 A's and B's should land you with a 3.5, not a spectacular gpa but surely something you can apply with. Also, if you are this worried I would start studying for the mcat now. Studying 1 year or more in advance isn't insane.
As your taking physics or g chem do the mcat books associated with the subject. It will help you get your A and help you on a critical exam. If you did this, i don't see how you couldn't get at least a 10 on each science section.

You don't need straight A's...

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

You don't need straight A's...

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
So according to Sunny, if it's in the stars for saxifone it does not matter what path they take, he/she will get into med school anyways? Sorry, not buying it. Getting into med school takes a lot of hard work and studying which is ultimately reflected in your MCAT/GPA. "Leaving it in God's hands" seems more of an excuse than a reason to believe. First and foremost, it's up to you to bust your butt and do what it takes.

There are a lot of ways to help people other than as a doctor. Why do think this is the best fit?

So according to Sunny, if it's in the stars for saxifone it does not matter what path they take, he/she will get into med school anyways? Sorry, not buying it. Getting into med school takes a lot of hard work and studying which is ultimately reflected in your MCAT/GPA. "Leaving it in God's hands" seems more of an excuse than a reason to believe. First and foremost, it's up to you to bust your butt and do what it takes.

I didn't say "Flunk every course cause Jesus is a Coke machine and all you really have to do is pray hard, be very, very good, put in your quarter and you'll get to med school."

Of course this kid has to study.

I DID say he/she didn't need straight A's.

The OPs profile lead me to believe he was a person of the Christian faith. I respond as such.

*Off to put CTrainSJU on Drop Kick's List in pre-allo*

I don't believe she's saying that you should just stop trying, leave it in God's hands and miraculously everything will work out happily ever after. We all know that's not the way the real world works. :) For me, having faith is a source of comfort when things get rough, but I completely understand this is not the case for everyone. Faith in God's will and faith in my own abilities is what gets me through this process, and I never make excuses when I don't do as well in a class as I hoped. GPA and MCAT are things you have control over and it certainly is up to you to "bust your butt" to do well.

Saxifone: work hard, do your best and trust that everything will work out as it should. Even if things happen such that you don't go to medical school, I am 100% certain that you will go on to do something equally fulfilling and gratifying. :)

And for the record, I am not a "stellar applicant" in terms of numbers either, but I received interviews and an acceptance. I am living proof that it can be done! :cool: so best of luck to you and feel free to PM me if you want to know my stats as I'd rather not get skewered here. :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't say "Flunk every course cause Jesus is a Coke machine and all you really have to do is pray hard, be very, very good, put in your quarter and you'll get to med school."

The OPs profile lead me to believe he was a person of the Christian faith. I respond as such.

touche :thumbup:

OK, apparently I hit a nerve. Didn't quite understand what the bottom of your statement meant either. I'm not pre allo, my signature says DMU. I also was not saying the OP needs straight A's. I said work your a$$ off. If it's not good enough, it's not good enough. Do you think that God truly plays a part in whether or not you get into med school though? Not looking for an argument, just a mature response.

OK, apparently I hit a nerve. Didn't quite understand what the bottom of your statement meant either. I'm not pre allo, my signature says DMU. I also was not saying the OP needs straight A's. I said work your a$$ off. If it's not good enough, it's not good enough. Do you think that God truly plays a part in whether or not you get into med school though? Not looking for an argument, just a mature response.

As person of faith, I think God ultimately plays a part in every big decision in my life.

Yes, the OP does need to study hard and work hard to cultivate relationships and involve himself in EC's that will help him stand out from the pre-med crowd. Faith without works is dead.

Do I believe people who don't believe as I do can do this? Sure!

But personally I would have been hard pressed without my faith.

(...and I'm not a right-wing nut job. ) :laugh:

Got it, well put. I'm not a left wing nut job either. I actually tend to fall just slightly more on the conservative side of the spectrum, although this current administration is making me rethink some of my values. OK, and back to med school talk in 5.....4......3.....2.....1.....

As person of faith, I think God ultimately plays a part in every big decision in my life.

Yes, the OP does need to study hard and work hard to cultivate relationships and involve himself in EC's that will help him stand out from the pre-med crowd. Faith without works is dead.

Do I believe people who don't believe as I do can do this? Sure!

But personally I would have been hard pressed without my faith.

(...and I'm not a right-wing nut job. ) :laugh:

you brought it up ;) :smuggrin:

never get your hopes down. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Applying for schools costs a lot of money up front, but may be worth it in the end. If you don't get into Med school here, try the caribean. OR, you could try podiatry school. That was my second option. You could do podiatric surgery, make pretty good money, and do almost the same as a foot D.O. could

P.S. 2.8 GPA 29 MCAT good shadows = me getting into med school. I am the exception - don't give up.

P.S.S. Continue to pray, and stay strong in your faith.

Or a reality check.

You sound just like what I did when I first started college. I put the idea of med school off because I thought I would never be able to make the grade. Four years later I decided that I am going to give it a go, study hard, and hope for the best. I've had to battle back from some bad grades because I didn't try back then. I was lucky because I haven't taken the science course yet. You just have to put your head down and try. It is MUCH EASIER to keep above a 3.0 than have to battle back up from a 2.5 or something.

After reading this thread, I am tempted to be a troll and say:

"is it just me or are all DO wannabes into jesus?"

After reading this thread, I am tempted to be a troll and say:

"is it just me or are all DO wannabes into jesus?"

What? I dont find this to be true. I am Atheist, always have been. I know plenty of other premeds that are also. Ever since I decided to pursue medical school I knew I wanted to be a DO. Geez, you are always such a troll :) Your posts at least sound like you are. I am sure you are really nice in person....

Anyways OP I think that you will do fine. Just dont let those fears take over your life. I feel like I am not good enough for med school all of the time soley based on my grades and MCAT. But I know that its not going to be about that when I am a physician, and I know that I will be a great one so it helps me stay positive about it.

Atheist is such a strong stance to take. Agonist is a much better way to be if you aren't going to have blind faith b/c honestly...who knows??

Whether or not you believe in religion/God, many many of your patients will. Religion can both greatly help a patient & occasionally impede your progress, but you have to be comfortable with religion. I find that too many people I know on the right (religion lovers) & left (atheists) have a hard time relating at times. If you are agnostic, at least you are open to possibilities. Just my opinion...

What? I dont find this to be true. I am Atheist, always have been. I know plenty of other premeds that are also. Ever since I decided to pursue medical school I knew I wanted to be a DO. Geez, you are always such a troll :) Your posts at least sound like you are. I am sure you are really nice in person....

Anyways OP I think that you will do fine. Just dont let those fears take over your life. I feel like I am not good enough for med school all of the time soley based on my grades and MCAT. But I know that its not going to be about that when I am a physician, and I know that I will be a great one so it helps me stay positive about it.
True, I am pretty trollish, but some people are pretty easy to tease :)

True, I am pretty trollish, but some people are pretty easy to tease :)

Majority of pre-DOs are quite easy to troll around on ... take a gander at all those MD/DO threads ... :laugh:

Or a reality check.

More than grades, you need the determination. You need to know medicine is where you want to be, and put yourself entirely on the line for it.

Bust your ass to get the grades needed. I had a 3.0 my first two years of college, my remaining 2 (which included all but 1 of the science courses) I got a 3.8. If you want it badly enough, you'll do what it takes.