Need some Navy HPSP advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubba25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who is willing to help I could use some advice regarding Navy HPSP.

I like the idea of serving and remaining debt-free, and I have a family history in the Navy. However, I am greatly concerned about residency options. I was recently accepted to LUCOM, a newer osteopathic school. I am okay with the idea of graduating, doing an intern year, and then 3 gmo years. But after that, what are my chances of matching into my chosen residency? Does anyone know the match rates for these students?

Basically I don't want to go through 8 years and then be stranded as a gmo or be forced into a specialty I don't want...

On the other hand, if I don't do HPSP, I still have concerns about residency because I'll be attending a new school that doesn't have established match rates...

P.S. -- My recuiter told me that if I do a 3 year gmo tour, I'll only owe 1 year after residency, but I've read elsewhere that my residency will extend it back to 4 years... Which is true?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, should I consider Army because it seems like they have more residency options? I'd really like to do Navy but not at the expense of my career...

My recuiter told me that if I do a 3 year gmo tour, I'll only owe 1 year after residency, but I've read elsewhere that my residency will extend it back to 4 years... Which is true?

Not what the recruiter said.

Use the search function on this website! Explore! Discover! You just got accepted now right? Go through with the application because this just takes time but in the meantime scour this forum. I guarantee you the answers are all here, you just have to patiently find them.

And don't worry, should you ever discover that HPSP isn't for you, you can drop the application anytime. It's only around the time you take the Oath of Office and take the money are you legally bound to go through with military service.