Need some opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BShanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i go to a small university in PA and we pretty much have our premed program set up for us. In the curriculum we take comparative anatomy and vertebrate phisiology instead of the traditional A&P. I was wondering what you guys think. Should I stick with CA&VP or take a more human focused A&P? Thanks for your thoughts!!
:confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think it matters. Personally, I never even considered taking any anatomy or physio classes in college.

IMO I would take the ones that are easier to get A's in. If you're not concerned about grades then whichever ones are more interesting to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a small school as well and I have to take 2 separate classes that compare vertebrae. (Comparative Vertebrae Anatomy and Embryology, which is what I'm taking this Fall) and (Vertebrae Physiology, which I take my senior year)...I would stick to taking the CA&VP because it goes way more in depth than the traditional A&P, at least at my school. The regular anatomy and physiology at my school is what the kines majors take, and its super sinchy.

I would stick to taking the CA&VP because it goes way more in depth than the traditional A&P, at least at my school.

You seem to be implying that this will confer some significant advantage upon taking the same classes in medical school. I can't speak for everyone, but the general consensus seems to be that hardly anything learned in undergrad gives you much of an advantage in medical school courses.

OP, stick with the easy A unless you have a deep burning desire to study a particular subject.

It's sad that the application cycle has come down to "GET A's" But it is solid advice...

My school offers Comparative Anatomy for premeds as well. We are not even allowed to take Human Anatomy, that is for Human Sport Science (or whatever) majors only. I think it's kind of ridiculous if you ask me, but the class wasn't hard at all and the lab was extremely interesting.

I'd just stick with Comparative Anatomy.