need some quick advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MsPurtell

Hi everyone,

I'm probably going to sound like a worry-wort, but here goes. My application to dental school is looking pretty attractive right now - 3.75 GPA and 23/23 DAT, etc. However, I haven't had a science course in ages - since I was an undergrad in 1990. I had planned to take a couple of grad courses this fall to enhance my application, but I'm having trouble getting in as a non-matric. My question is: will they hold the fact that I haven't had a science course in many years against me? I want my app to be as attractive as possible because I want to get into a competitive state school. What do you guys think? Should I keep looking for a suitable grad course to take or not bother.

Also, I don't know if you guys have called any admissions offices recently, but they were SO RUDE to me at SUNY Buffalo. In response to this question the woman on the other end of the phone told me I should have read their catalogue to find out their requirements!!! Can you believe how rude that is?! I wasn't even asking about requirements - she couldn't even understand my question! Do you think I should complain to someone above or just forget it?

Thanks, Margaret

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much help I can be (I am a lowly Fall 2002 applicant as well), but here goes.

I do not think you would need to take additional sciences classes to "enhance" your application - your GPA and DAT are fine - unless you have not taken all of the required undergrad classes. Since you haven't had a science class in over 10 years, I would definitely recommend taking some more science classes, not to "enhance" your application, but rather to prepare you for the 1st and 2nd year dental courses. Many schools publish their DMD/DDS curriculum in a very detailed manner that let you know what classes you will be taking and when. Physio, histo, biochem, gross anatomy, bacT/micro are certainly going to be first/second year courses. You might want to enroll in the undergraduate versions of these courses just to refresh your memory. You could apply as a post-bach, take them pass/fail, audit them, etc. The main point is that you want to feel as prepared as possible for those first and second-year classes (I also heard this from one of my former professors who is on the ADCOM for the UofL School of Dentistry).

As for a rude receptionist, I would not worry too much about it. Bear in mind that they are swamped this time of year and can be easily frustrated. Anyone who has worked in admissions/public relations/reception can sometimes forget that they are viewed as the speaking voice of their organization. Also, the person you talked to may have simply been having a bad day at work and was a little ill-tempered. You really have no idea what was going on in her mind. I personally would just forget about it unless it happens again. If she made you mad, just bite your tongue. There are bigger things to be concerned about when choosing a dental school. I seriously doubt that the attitude of a receptionist is reflective of the quality of education one can expect to receive at an accredited U.S. school of dental medicine.

Anyway, that is just my $0.02. Like I said, I'm no expert or anything, but I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice and for calming me down a bit. I knew I was just being a worrier. I just don't want all this bs affecting my ability to get into a state school. I guess I'm also feeling a little frustrated now because I'm reading about interviews that other folks are getting and I know my composite letter of rec isn't going out till next week! I'm so eager to get some interview requests! It's hard to stay contained! Margaret