Need some reapplication advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zefla12

Reaction score
I’m currently on 4 WL with no A yet so I’m getting ready to reapply. Just have some questions about reapplying.

1. How much change in terms of activities is expected when reapplying? The only major change from last cycle is pretty much my promotion to a leadership position in my clinical job. But that’s something I’ve already updated the schools I interviewed on. Besides that, I’ve added a lot more clinical hours. From ~3000 to ~5000 hrs. Prob will also have one new LOR.

2. How much should I change the PS and activities description? The PS from my past cycle I was really happy with. I’m only changing one anecdote but conveying the same message. The other paragraphs I’m editing slightly but is pretty much the same. Is this ok or do they want a completely different PS altogether? Same thing for the activities section, really only changing some wordings since I was happy with the description and adding in the description of my new leadership position.

3. Since I got 4 interviews( 3 MD 1 DO) and waitlisted from all, is it likely that it was a problem with my interviewing skills? Tbh, I felt like all my interviews went more than fine except for one. Of course it can’t hurt to improve my interviewing skills but not sure if that’s something I should definitely work on over the summer.

Appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you started with 3k clinical hours, that probably wasn't your problem. I also generally think it is very unlikely that a PS or activities description was the problem particularly if you got to the interview stage, though by all means you should update these slightly.

That leaves either your stats, your interviewing skills, or your school list as the most likely culprit.

Reactions: 4 users
If you started with 3k clinical hours, that probably wasn't your problem. I also generally think it is very unlikely that a PS or activities description was the problem particularly if you got to the interview stage, though by all means you should update these slightly.

That leaves either your stats, your interviewing skills, or your school list as the most likely culprit.
Thank you for your insight. So if I keep most essays the same it likely won’t be looked down upon at the schools I interviewed at when they see my application again? I’ll def reword things and change what I can.

As for my stats, I have a 3.6 cGPA 3.5 sGPA and a 512 MCAT(506–>512). The schools I received interviews at were Drexel, GW, Downstate, and NYIT. I’m aware that Drexel and GW are pretty low yield due to the number of apps they get. All the other schools on my list are similar to these schools in terms of tier and MSAR stats. Im a NY resident and ORM. Do you think it’s necesssry for some gpa repair?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your insight. So if I keep most essays the same it likely won’t be looked down upon at the schools I interviewed at when they see my application again? I’ll def reword things and change what I can.

As for my stats, I have a 3.6 cGPA 3.5 sGPA and a 512 MCAT(506–>512). The schools I received interviews at were Drexel, GW, Downstate, and NYIT. I’m aware that Drexel and GW are pretty low yield due to the number of apps they get. All the other schools on my list are similar to these schools in terms of tier and MSAR stats. Im a NY resident and ORM. Do you think it’s necesssry for some gpa repair?
Nobody is going to look back and compare your old PS to your new PS.

Your stats are OK but not spectacular, and while it's unlucky to get 4 interviews and no A's (though it's still possible for you!) I think you should strongly consider adding a couple of the more established DO schools to your list. Having a year-by-year trend of your GPA would be helpful (3.6/3.5 with a downward trend would be more problematic than the reverse) to help determine if you would benefit from a short DIY post-bacc.

Reactions: 2 users
We need a school list if possible to diagnose the reason. Could be a volume thing. NY is a pretty tough state competition wise.

Reactions: 1 users
We need a school list if possible to diagnose the reason. Could be a volume thing. NY is a pretty tough state competition wise.
Sure thing.

All SUNYs( II from Downstate.)

George Washington(II and WL)

Drexel( II and WL)

NYIT( II and WL)

Mount Sinai

NYMC

Albany medical college

Thomas Jefferson

Temple

Wake forest

Penn State

LECOM

Tufts

BU

Albert Einstein

I know it’s a relatively small list but I was trying to stay close to the north east. But will expand my list this upcoming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user

Your stats are OK but not spectacular, and while it's unlucky to get 4 interviews and no A's (though it's still possible for you!) I think you should strongly consider adding a couple of the more established DO schools to your list. Having a year-by-year trend of your GPA would be helpful (3.6/3.5 with a downward trend would be more problematic than the reverse) to help determine if you would benefit from a short DIY post-bacc.
Well my gpa was mostly stagnant lol not sure how that’s viewed. Was 3.5-3.6 for every semester in college.

That is a great II/app yield. If you apply to more schools, you’ll get in. I’d suggest

Each school you got an II from

Hackensack
Oakland
Rosalind
Creighton
Quinnipiac
Wayne state
MCW
Geisinger
St. Louis
UVM

Other schools in which you’re at or above medians

Well my gpa was mostly stagnant lol not sure how that’s viewed. Was 3.5-3.6 for every semester in college.
It's neither helping nor hurting you :)

The other piece that is not obvious is how your schools are viewing the two MCAT attempts. Some schools take the most recent, others will average, still others may give you the highest subsection scores. But bottom line, as mentioned above, you're in a tough state

I’m currently on 4 WL with no A yet so I’m getting ready to reapply. Just have some questions about reapplying.

1. How much change in terms of activities is expected when reapplying? The only major change from last cycle is pretty much my promotion to a leadership position in my clinical job. But that’s something I’ve already updated the schools I interviewed on. Besides that, I’ve added a lot more clinical hours. From ~3000 to ~5000 hrs. Prob will also have one new LOR.

2. How much should I change the PS and activities description? The PS from my past cycle I was really happy with. I’m only changing one anecdote but conveying the same message. The other paragraphs I’m editing slightly but is pretty much the same. Is this ok or do they want a completely different PS altogether? Same thing for the activities section, really only changing some wordings since I was happy with the description and adding in the description of my new leadership position.

3. Since I got 4 interviews( 3 MD 1 DO) and waitlisted from all, is it likely that it was a problem with my interviewing skills? Tbh, I felt like all my interviews went more than fine except for one. Of course it can’t hurt to improve my interviewing skills but not sure if that’s something I should definitely work on over the summer.

Appreciate any advice!
Strongly suggest that you work on interview skills.

And be patient! Schools are more willing to WL people than outright accept these days.

Good luck!

Sure thing.

All SUNYs( II from Downstate.)

George Washington(II and WL)

Drexel( II and WL)

NYIT( II and WL)

Mount Sinai

NYMC

Albany medical college

Thomas Jefferson

Temple

Wake forest

Penn State

LECOM

Tufts

BU

Albert Einstein

I know it’s a relatively small list but I was trying to stay close to the north east. But will expand my list this upcoming cycle.
Sinai, BU and Einstein were donations. You should have had Netter, PCOM, VCOM, Touro.NY, and UNECOM on the list

Sinai, BU and Einstein were donations. You should have had Netter, PCOM, VCOM, Touro.NY, and UNECOM on the list
True. I figured I throw in a reach or two in case a miracle happens. But yeah I’ll take them out this cycle and add in the ones you mentioned.

That is a great II/app yield. If you apply to more schools, you’ll get in. I’d suggest

Each school you got an II from

Hackensack
Oakland
Rosalind
Creighton
Quinnipiac
Wayne state
MCW
Geisinger
St. Louis
UVM

Other schools in which you’re at or above medians
Thanks will add those to my list.

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. Will keep you guys updated if I make it off one of the four WL lol

Appreciate any advice!
if you don't get in, I'd definitely recommend working on your interview skills. I also recommend adding programs including more DO programs.

I can't give you a percentage by how much you should change your PS and activity descriptions. Do realize that schools look for dynamism and growth. So even if your essays etc. were fine and schools won't compare your previous and current applications, if the experiences basically stop a year ago, that's not good. You need to bring them forward whether to programs you applied to last year or new programs.

I'd also widen your list. In doing so, try to apply to programs that take your highest or most recent score or if they average where your average is at or above the their median for matriculated students. Also add more DO.

Good luck with the waitlist!

Last edited:
True. I figured I throw in a reach or two in case a miracle happens. But yeah I’ll take them out this cycle and add in the ones you mentioned.
The schools don't need the money. Take your dad out for Father's Day instead. And don't count on miracles in the admissions process.

• Love

I’m pretty sure @gyngyn had a post a few months back stating that if they see the exact same PS in a reapplicant , the app immediately goes in the trash.

I’m pretty sure @gyngyn had a post a few months back stating that if they see the exact same PS in a reapplicant , the app immediately goes in the trash.
Yea I’m definitely changing it a so it won’t be exactly the same. Do you know if that rings true for activity descriptions?