need step 1 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took NBME 4 today and I scored a 200. Much worse than I thought I would do. I have my exam in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if I should postpone it or not. I have had about 4 weeks to study.

Do people's scores jump that much in the last week? I am not interested in the ROAD specialities but I would like to have options later on down the line. So is it worth it to postpone the exam for another month (I will have to take it by then) if my score improves by only 5-10 points (hypothetically).

I am not so sure what to do so I am asking you all that have been there and done that :)

Thanks as always for the insightful suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

its hard to say how much your score will jump in 2 weeks.
nbme 4 is a good test, did you have a bad test day? Maybe study 1 more week go through as much of FA as possible and take another practice exam.

If you are still at a 200-210 range, consider extending. you are only limiting yourself and your future career if you are 'fine' with a 200.

If you think you can do better with more time, then postpone! Step 1 is a VERY important exam for your career so don't do anything you'll regret later.