need studying advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NguyenDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I read my materials first (such as KBB and Cliff's bio) and then did Destroyer. I did Destroyer in small sections though and would occasionally go back and read up on the sciences (or look online at videos). After I was done with Destroyer, I also went back and did it again. Huh... I guess I wasn't as organized at studying as some people, so maybe someone else will have a better response for you. You might want to check out Chad's videos too (*********** dot com). I thought it was really helpful, especially if it's been a while since you've taken gen or organic chem.

If I were you, I'd first take a full length practice test (Topscore has 3), to see where you are weakest/need to focus.

Then I'd focus on reviewing the basics before diving into Destroyer. I read KBB, Cliff's AP Bio, and watched Chad's videos (c o u r s e s a v e r . c o m - for some reason SDN bleeps it out if you write it normally).

Throughout your study, keep on taking practice tests to make sure you're actually learning what you're studying and to figure out what your knowledge gaps are.

And use the search function of SDN to find how other people have used a particular resource (Destroyer, Achiever, Crack the DAT, etc.). Also look at other people's breakdowns after they took the DAT. This will help you see what worked for other people. There's a thread called List of DAT Scores (21AA+) that has a compilation of breakdowns. I'd read some of those if I were you.

Good luck and keep asking questions! (after you've used the search function and can't find the answer)

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I think as long as you have the Kaplan Blue Book, Cliff's AP Bio (I used Barron's AP Bio, and it doesn't seem as comprehensive as Cliff's, since there were quite a few q's on my DAT that i went "WTF!"), and Chad (which I also don't have, I should've gotten Chad..., I was a bit disappointed with my GC score), as well as CDP, you should be fine.
Maybe you shouldn't buy topscore, it doesn't seem worth the money (not to mention it EXPIRES!!)

As for QR, I recommend getting Barron's DAT book and just making sure you understand how to do the word-work problems specifically, since those tend to be harder for most people. Cuz the only studying I did for QR was going over Imperial/Metric conversions, Word -Work Problems, and some stats (p-values, stdevs, standard bell curve).
To be honest, as long as you still remember most of your high school and 1st and 2nd year bio+chem, you wont have to do much studying on the science sections.
Spend your time practicing the PAT instead, since that's what's really fresh. And RC, it's mostly luck on what passages you get, and as long as you're a decent reader, you can wing that section and still be fine.

Best of luck, and rock that test!!

Last edited:
To be honest, as long as you still remember most of your high school and 1st and 2nd year bio+chem, you wont have to do much studying on the science sections.

I'm sorry to disappoint you iamgosu, but in the US they don't teach detailed enough bio/chem to help on the DAT. Both my sisters went to High school in Canada and when they came down to the states for University all of their first year science classes were easy reviews.

I'm sorry to disappoint you iamgosu, but in the US they don't teach detailed enough bio/chem to help on the DAT. Both my sisters went to High school in Canada and when they came down to the states for University all of their first year science classes were easy reviews.

Oh...I didn't know that.
I thought USA curriculum would be very similar to Canada's.

Sorry about the wrong info nguyen!

Oh...I didn't know that.
I thought USA curriculum would be very similar to Canada's.

Sorry about the wrong info nguyen!

Nothing to be sorry about! You were very helpful along with everyone else. THANKS EVERYONE! :)

As far as retaining information from what you're studying, how does one do that? :confused: If I read the whole Kaplan book, and knowing myself, I will forget a lot of what I read. Do you take notes while reading AND reread all your notes everyday?

Yes taking notes is essential to retaining the information. What I have been doing is slowly reading through the Kaplin Blue Book biology chapters making notecards of everything I see using this notecard program Cuecard, I make questions of every key term/topic/concept. I usually read 1 chapter a day and make notecards that same day, the next day I reread the chapter and test myself using this notecard program, and keep quizing myself until I get 100%. So heres my schedule:

Day 1: Read one Chapter in the KBB + make notecards
Day 2: Re-read that chapter and test myself using the notecards.

I am almost done with the kaplan blue book biology section and I think I will post my notecards on-line soon.
This technique will help you retain the information better than just reading.