Need suggestion after disastrous freshman and sophomore years

Started by bngli
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bngli

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a sophomore that has had a terrible two academic years. I have a C+ in gen bio, C's in gen chem I/II, C- in orgo I, D+ in genetics, and a possibility of getting C's in physics I and orgo II. It feels like instead of gunning for med school, I am now gunning for SMP. I have gpa of 2.98 and a sgpa of 2.39. Ideally, I'd like to finish school and take only one year between ugrad and med (during which I will want to do master's/post-bacc/SMP). What suggestions do you guys have? If I can get my act together this summer (which what I intend to dedicating my summer to doing, developing proper study habits) - can I still consider post-bacc and SMP, and then med school class entrance in 2015 an option?

I'd like to do SMPs at Tulane, Georgetown, Temple, Cincinnati, Columbia/Dartmouth (longshots) or USC. Do you guys have any advice on what I can do to get into one of these?

Thanks
 
why do you think you are getting such bad grades? Before you start thinking about smps, you need to figure out what YOU need to succeed in classes. An SMP is just a waste of money if you can't make the grades. After you figure that out.....

Take some time before you graduate. Retake your classes under a C for DO replacement. Take lots of upper level sciences. get A's. Do great on the MCAT. in 3 or 4 years you could get straight into medical school without an SMP. Good luck!
 
I'm currently a sophomore that has had a terrible two academic years. I have a C+ in gen bio, C's in gen chem I/II, C- in orgo I, D+ in genetics, and a possibility of getting C's in physics I and orgo II. It feels like instead of gunning for med school, I am now gunning for SMP. I have gpa of 2.98 and a sgpa of 2.39. Ideally, I'd like to finish school and take only one year between ugrad and med (during which I will want to do master's/post-bacc/SMP). What suggestions do you guys have? If I can get my act together this summer (which what I intend to dedicating my summer to doing, developing proper study habits) - can I still consider post-bacc and SMP, and then med school class entrance in 2015 an option?

I'd like to do SMPs at Tulane, Georgetown, Temple, Cincinnati, Columbia/Dartmouth (longshots) or USC. Do you guys have any advice on what I can do to get into one of these?

Thanks

You're thinking way too far ahead. Right now you have one priority (well, maybe two): find out why you're doing horrible in your classes and figure out how to get A's. Work on getting a 3.7+ for the next two years. Take summer and winter courses if need be to get in extra credits. Take this one semester at a time. Once you know that you can get A's in every class you take then you can start looking towards the next step.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a sophomore that has had a terrible two academic years. I have a C+ in gen bio, C's in gen chem I/II, C- in orgo I, D+ in genetics, and a possibility of getting C's in physics I and orgo II. It feels like instead of gunning for med school, I am now gunning for SMP. I have gpa of 2.98 and a sgpa of 2.39. Ideally, I'd like to finish school and take only one year between ugrad and med (during which I will want to do master's/post-bacc/SMP).
Put the calendar down. Your problem right now isn't getting into med school or getting into an SMP. Your problem is figuring out how to be a strong student. Every grade you get that isn't an A, from now on, is a step away from med school.
What suggestions do you guys have?
Kill the possibility of getting C's in your current classes by dropping them. Realistically, you have to retake all your science, because that content comes back on the MCAT, and you don't have it down. You need a major reset, such as dropping out of school, or changing to a major in which you can get all A's.

Plenty of people are not good students until they are older and wiser. You might need to go work and pay rent for a few years before you're ready to succeed in academics.
If I can get my act together this summer (which what I intend to dedicating my summer to doing, developing proper study habits) - can I still consider post-bacc and SMP, and then med school class entrance in 2015 an option?
Highly unlikely. It takes excruciatingly painful changes in habits to solve academic problems, and those changes don't come for the asking. It's an unfortunate possibility that your academic problems may not have a solution. Honest question: what study habits do you think you can develop this summer, that you can't develop in your current courses, or that you couldn't develop in your prior courses? What is going to be different this summer?
I'd like to do SMPs at Tulane, Georgetown, Temple, Cincinnati, Columbia/Dartmouth (longshots) or USC. Do you guys have any advice on what I can do to get into one of these?
Yes, here's how to get into a good SMP:
1. Retake all your science coursework and get A's.
2. Also take additional upper div science and get A's, to show you don't need 2 tries to succeed in hard classes.
3. Get your cumulative and science GPAs up over 3.0.
4. Get a competitive MCAT score (32+ is competitive for MD, 28+ for DO).
5. Apply to SMPs starting in October 201n for matriculation in August 201n+1.

Notes for later on SMP choice: Columbia/Dartmouth are completely inappropriate for a low GPA comeback. USC has no record of placing low GPA students into med school, not yet. You will not have the 3.3+ required at Temple. Tulane ACP requires that you are on a med school waitlist. Gtown and Cincinnati are extremely competitive. There are other choices.

Public service announcement: In GPA comeback inquiries, my priority is to provide factual, useful information. Other people may provide encouragement. You have the choice to not get your feelings hurt by factual, useful information.

Best of luck to you.
 
Hi DrMidlife,
I want to start of by saying thank you for responding and being candid - I appreciate your advice (my feeling weren't hurt, I prefer harsh truths to polite encouragement) and it seems like you know what you are talking about.

Put the calendar down. Your problem right now isn't getting into med school or getting into an SMP. Your problem is figuring out how to be a strong student. Every grade you get that isn't an A, from now on, is a step away from med school.

Yep, I get this. I've considered (and have been preparing) for other career options. However, I just can't get over the desire to pursue med school, which is why I am trying to plan a realistic path.

Kill the possibility of getting C's in your current classes by dropping them. Realistically, you have to retake all your science, because that content comes back on the MCAT, and you don't have it down. You need a major reset, such as dropping out of school, or changing to a major in which you can get all A's.

Plenty of people are not good students until they are older and wiser. You might need to go work and pay rent for a few years before you're ready to succeed in academics.

I've considered this too, the only thing stopping me is my choice to study abroad next semester. They require that the course load not be lowered before leaving. I'm going to try my hardest to not get C's (they are likely, but if I give it my all B's are possible). Since you suggest retaking all my sciences, should I be considering a second bachelor's rather than post-bacc (my prereqs will be done by the end of the year, junior/senior years will be for retakes/high level sciences, and 1-2 years will be for sciences masters/SMP/post-bacc - does this seem like a viable option?).

I've also considered taking time off, pursuing other career interests of Peace Corp and reapplying as nontrad - but that would just put me back in the same spot of redoing my poor academic career.

Highly unlikely. It takes excruciatingly painful changes in habits to solve academic problems, and those changes don't come for the asking. It's an unfortunate possibility that your academic problems may not have a solution. Honest question: what study habits do you think you can develop this summer, that you can't develop in your current courses, or that you couldn't develop in your prior courses? What is going to be different this summer?

Its unfortunate that I feel like I can't answer this question. I'd like to develop proper study habits as soon as possible, but I feel like trying different study methods and evaluating them to see how I learn best would be done best during the summer. My poor study habits are a result of me not trying in high school, but still coming out on top then. I'd like to do a complete reset before the next academic term.

In regards to my next question, please feel free to be as harsh as needed. I started this thread after seeing this "some hope for you" thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=893944. Do you see any possibility of me turning around and pulling off something similar? And if so, do you think 1-2 years after undergrad is enough time to pursue a similar success story?

You will not have the 3.3+ required at Temple. Tulane ACP requires that you are on a med school waitlist. Gtown and Cincinnati are extremely competitive. There are other choices.

I know I'm just making projections that are completely baseless, but if I can somehow get my gpa over 3.3 and sGpa over 3.0 - will I have a decent shot at Temple ACMS or have I already sunk myself (how about applying to ACMS after a year of doing gpa repair after senior year)? What kind of stats do you need to be competitive for Gtown or Cincinnati? Can you recommend any programs that I may have a decent chance at, supposing I do what I say pull of a successful turn around?

Again, thanks for all your help. I truly appreciate it.
 
Last edited:
I started this thread after seeing this "some hope for you" thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=893944. Do you see any possibility of me turning around and pulling off something similar? And if so, do you think 1-2 years after undergrad is enough time to pursue a similar success story?
That story has a 39 MCAT and multiple published research papers during legit graduate study in it. Those factors made undergrad GPA less interesting. 39 MCAT is top 1%.

I suggest you could find out your MCAT possibilities, now, by taking just the verbal section on a practice MCAT. First practice test is free on www.e-mcat.com. If you can get 10+, cold, then imho you have a basis to be hopeful of a big turnaround. Hope doesn't get you out of any of the work, but maybe it'll help you stay motivated.
I know I'm just making projections that are completely baseless, but if I can somehow get my gpa over 3.3 and sGpa over 3.0 - will I have a decent shot at Temple ACMS or have I already sunk myself (how about applying to ACMS after a year of doing gpa repair after senior year)?
You have to do the math to see what your GPA possibilities are. There's no magic, just math. Temple will do the same math to see if you're over 3.3 and thus eligible.

Hopefully you're not balking at retaking prereqs.
What kind of stats do you need to be competitive for Gtown or Cincinnati?
Competitive is about 3.3, 31+. You're up against vast hordes of Californians with 3.5/32.
Can you recommend any programs that I may have a decent chance at, supposing I do what I say pull of a successful turn around?
Nope. You have 2+ years before an SMP is of interest.

Best of luck to you.
 
Yes all of DrMidlife's advice is honest and factual. However, the one issue that cannot be given a factual/black and white answer is your academic/intellectual ability.

Don't let anyone tell you it may not be possible for you to change your study habits around in one summer. It's completely up to you. I didn't think I'd be able to turn it around and I did from one semester to the next.

Everyone's situation is different so I can't speak for you, but personally my motivation came completely from an intrinsic desire to get into med school. After thinking about other career paths and finally realizing medicine is all I want, that was all I needed to push me.