1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

need suggestions on my stats

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mcatatonia, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Mcatatonia

Mcatatonia Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi i'm an int'l student in electrical engr., my gpa is 3.6 and just got back my mcat score, it wasn't as I had expected, 9v 9p 10b and an L!! in writing :( .. english is a second language for me but i didn't expect an L since I did ok in the prep course tests, it seems that I missed one of the required parts
    what do you guys think of my chances of getting accepted ? I'm planning to retake the mcat in august, do you think it's a good idea ?

btw are there any other int's students in this forum ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated ! Thanks !!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Your MCAT is OK. I wouldn't retake because of that L. I don't think schools pay that much attention to the writing score, unless it's terrific. I got a 30 M (and English is my first and only language!) and got into 5 schools and was waitlisted at 6. Just show them in your PS that you can write. If you're sure you can do significantly better on the other 3 sections, then that's another question. But you'd risk your verbal score going down, which would be bad. If you apply to a lot of appropriately chosen schools, you should get in somewhere with your current scores assusming that your EC's, LOR's and essays are strong. Although I don't know how being an international student affects your chances. I think that not all schools accept apps from international students? Someone who knows, please help out here.

4. Mcatatonia

Mcatatonia Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply ! :)

5. Nuclearrabbit

Nuclearrabbit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that an adcom will be more lenient on your verbal score than a domestic student. however, realize that international students are competing for VERY limited number of seats, so it becomes quite competitive. Simply look at the statistics at most establishments, many schools have 0% international, while those that have a decent international program admit only a handful.
    However, if you desire to get training in the u.s., obtaining fellowships AFTER obtaining your m.d. from your non-u.s. medical school isn't as hard from what i see. to get licensed to practice here is a another story though....
    i recommend you find somebody who is an international student on SDN, i'm sure they know alot more than the domestics.

6. jalan2

jalan2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Mcatatonia, if you take a look at the MSAR (Med School Adm Requirements book), schools usually tell you whether they will consider accepting int'l students or not at all. For example, in MSAR Jefferson says that "Foreign applicants must have a degree from an accredited US or Can college/univ." So you should be able to apply there as an int'l student.