Step III Need suggestions on when to take step 3

Started by IMGstat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IMGstat

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am an old IMG, and planning to get back to medicine again, and need some advice.

I took my step 1 and 2 CK, CS 10 years ago. Step 1 score was median at that time, step 2 CK was horrible, but all passed the first time. I lose the confidence and hope to be a doctor in the US, and start doing clinical research for the past 10 years. But I can't put medicine away, so I decide to try again for step 3, and later apply for a residency in the research track. I know even if I get accepted, I need to retake all previous steps, and it's allowed.

I am aiming for the 2023 match cycle. When would be a good time to take USMLE step 3? Since I need to get into residency programs with a research track, is 230+ a good target for IM or PM&R or Preventive medicine?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!
 
Hi all,

I am an old IMG, and planning to get back to medicine again, and need some advice.

I took my step 1 and 2 CK, CS 10 years ago. Step 1 score was median at that time, step 2 CK was horrible, but all passed the first time. I lose the confidence and hope to be a doctor in the US, and start doing clinical research for the past 10 years. But I can't put medicine away, so I decide to try again for step 3, and later apply for a residency in the research track. I know even if I get accepted, I need to retake all previous steps, and it's allowed.

I am aiming for the 2023 match cycle. When would be a good time to take USMLE step 3? Since I need to get into residency programs with a research track, is 230+ a good target for IM or PM&R or Preventive medicine?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

OP I am sorry to say this but your chances are matching are very low for the bolded reasons. If you want to give it a shot, I agree that 230+ is a good target and you are going to want to focus on the following fields come application time:

1.) Preventative Medicine
2.) Occupational Medicine
3.) Family Medicine

Please check out my Step 3 experience post (link below, first post). I think it will be most helpful to you as I took Step 3 3.5 years after USMLE Step 2 CK. You're going to need to invest some money in some didactics as opposed to just using UWorld because you've likely forgot a great deal.