USMLE Need suggestions on when to take step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGstat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an old IMG, and planning to get back to medicine again, and need some advice.

I took my step 1 and 2 CK, CS 10 years ago. Step 1 score was median at that time, step 2 CK was horrible, but all passed the first time. I lose the confidence and hope to be a doctor in the US, and start doing clinical research for the past 10 years. But I can't put medicine away, so I decide to try again for step 3, and later apply for a residency in the research track. I know even if I get accepted, I need to retake all previous steps, and it's allowed.

I am aiming for the 2023 match cycle. When would be a good time to take USMLE step 3? Since I need to get into residency programs with a research track, is 230+ a good target for IM or PM&R or Preventive medicine?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am an old IMG, and planning to get back to medicine again, and need some advice.

I took my step 1 and 2 CK, CS 10 years ago. Step 1 score was median at that time, step 2 CK was horrible, but all passed the first time. I lose the confidence and hope to be a doctor in the US, and start doing clinical research for the past 10 years. But I can't put medicine away, so I decide to try again for step 3, and later apply for a residency in the research track. I know even if I get accepted, I need to retake all previous steps, and it's allowed.

I am aiming for the 2023 match cycle. When would be a good time to take USMLE step 3? Since I need to get into residency programs with a research track, is 230+ a good target for IM or PM&R or Preventive medicine?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

OP I am sorry to say this but your chances are matching are very low for the bolded reasons. If you want to give it a shot, I agree that 230+ is a good target and you are going to want to focus on the following fields come application time:

1.) Preventative Medicine
2.) Occupational Medicine
3.) Family Medicine

Please check out my Step 3 experience post (link below, first post). I think it will be most helpful to you as I took Step 3 3.5 years after USMLE Step 2 CK. You're going to need to invest some money in some didactics as opposed to just using UWorld because you've likely forgot a great deal.