Need to decide wether to study or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaaka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I got admission for DDS, But this is my status i have been in H-4 for three years...My husband green card is in progress we may get approved or denied (Who knows now a days. As denying green card is number one high priority...As most of my friends and colleagues green card has been denied)...

Upon completion of my dental i would have finished all my 6 years of stay in US...If my husband green card is denied we will need to go back to our home country with 150,000 $ loan on our head...

What will be all your opinions and suggestion. Do i join or not...Pour all your suggestions which may help me to make my decision.

Thanks Guys

Members don't see this ad.

i know some office take dentist on h1 and process greencard , but u might have to give bond to the office after ur studies

mekha said:
i know some office take dentist on h1 and process greencard , but u might have to give bond to the office after ur studies

No i cannot be on H1 visa after i complete my 6 years in H-4. I have to be outside united states for a year to apply for a new another H-1.

Members don't see this ad :)
shaaka said:
No i cannot be on H1 visa after i complete my 6 years in H-4. I have to be outside united states for a year to apply for a new another H-1.

what if u convert to an F1 .would that help in any way. i mean would u still have to go back if ure green card doesnt get approved.

Hi Shaaka,

Congratulations on gaining admission to one of the advanced
standing programs. Where did you get admitted?

It is unfortunate that there are many obstacles to having a
dental career in the U.S. for foreign dentists.

First, it is very hard to get admission.
Second, there are few options to get a loan, especially
without a cosigner.
Third, it is becoming very difficult to find a way to stay
in the U.S. since all the H-1 visas are usually gone for the
year the first day they are available.

There is another thread on SDN about the loans that are available.
Global Student Loan Corporation does not require a U.S
co-signer. Even if you have a U.S. co-signer, it might be worth
using this loan and not the co-signer. GSLC has built into their business
model the fact that some of the people they loan money to
will not be able to stay in the U.S. and will not be able
to pay back the loan. In this case GSLC is able to take
a tax deduction and write off the loan.

another option for u would be to go to canada for a yr thn come back here to get another 6 yrs of h1 by tht time surely either ur husband or u would a greencard.
or else u can apply for canadian permanent residency
good luck

if u get it converted to F 1 then u get to stay an additional one year after your studies are complete and that one year u will have to stay without your husband and then he can come back after that one year. i think this period is called opitional training period. i am not sure abt this but u can check this with someone.

hi take the admission as soon as u take an admission u have to change to F-1 from H-1 visa normally F-1 visa is issued for 5yrs. u will complete ur studies in 3yrs and after that again ur eligble for H-1 for 6yrs . I have a couple of friends who have changed from H-1 to F-1 and after 1 year or 2 they changed back to H-1. all the best

mkbattina said:
hi take the admission as soon as u take an admission u have to change to F-1 from H-1 visa normally F-1 visa is issued for 5yrs. u will complete ur studies in 3yrs and after that again ur eligble for H-1 for 6yrs . I have a couple of friends who have changed from H-1 to F-1 and after 1 year or 2 they changed back to H-1. all the best

There are Extra 20,000 H1-B visa's available only for the students who studied thier masters here, this is quota is different than 65000 annual quota...Getting a H1-B Should not be a problem.

mkbattina said:

Hi,

Congrats on u r admission.Forget this kind of doubts.AsMkbattina told yes, there is so many options.I knew some of my friends doing this F1 to H1 and then to H1.There wont be any problem unless untill you wanted to go out side the country.As other friends suggested u can try with u r attorney also. They are the best persons to advice.All the best.

rajkang said:
Ignore all the above answers and the reason is there is no problem. You are fretting over nothing. You are assuming that you have to leave usa after 6 years. Well, that is true for H1 but if you are on H4 and then change to F1 or H1 then your 6 year period will start when you get H1. If you keep on asking advice from such forums, you will be doomed as it not immigration forum. Better call attorney, at the most they will charge you $60 for an hour.
You can start study on H4 and change to F1 anytime during your study, which you should do so you can get OPT. Your husband may not get GC but you will get it for sure. You are lucky that you got admission. Another thing is that if your are on EAT then you should talk to attorney and see if you can still change to F1 because if you have EAD than you are not on H4 any more and if GC is denied then you and your husband have to leave immediately as you are not H1 and H4 anymore. That is the pitfall of EAD.

Ditto !!! Call the Attorney. If the green card is in the last stage, ask the university if you can defer your admission by one year. Get yr green card and join school!!! Good luck... everything happens for the good!!!

rajkang said:
Why defer admission by one year when she can study now. Anyway there is no guarantee that she'll get green card.

Let her try... if the green card is in the last stage and it goes through for her... good for her and I am sure it will !! Studying isnt free of cost... she will have a huge debt and she has to repay it ...... I mean think about it man .. she is on H4, she starts school this year and then if a situation turns up that she has to change to F1, she does and continues her studies but what guarantee is it that she is going to get an associateship somewhere after school that could give her an H1 visa.. she definitely doesnt want to be in debt forever!! I mean 150 000 dollars is a loooot of money !!!! But the best would be to speak to an attorney ... They would know much more than I or any member of this forum knows.

Why they won't give her the green card? What reasons does immigration have to deny a green card?

Rajkang,
In worst case scenario that is you have 120 to 150000 in loan debt and you have to go back to India then it is ok. Once you are in India collection agency in usa cant do anything.

They will be able to find where you are and what you do... trust me they will.
On the other hand, 65,000 students come alone from India on F1 every year, if they can get a job after their study then why cant a dentist? There are only 4000 dentist graduating every year in usa every year and number of dentists retiring is more than 4000. You will be amazed to see that in BU advanced standing course more than half of a class is on F1.

Yes, maybe you can get a job but you must get yr H1 visa.... that is pretty difficult esp for a dentist... and if they can reject the green card they can reject H1 dentists too ... y do u want to risk urself with 150 000 dollars of debt? That is just my 2 cents.

hi,

if you do not receive a green card in US ,u and ur husband can try to get canadian permanent residence.the process usually takes a few months and u will receive a temporary residence which will be valid for 1 year within which u have to land in canada,orelse this will become invalid and the entire process may become void.

www.cic.gc.ca

u can enter US as canadian permanent resident.

please check the website for the latest information.

i hope this helps.

hi,
its anyday better to consult an attorney to get an exact picture of wat different ways r there for u to explore.....also there r many immigration related forums where u can post ure queries,try www.murthy.com
all the best.