Need to improve sat score by 200-300 points

neur0goddess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just took the January 24th SAT and got a 1910. My dream school is USC, where the average SAT is around a 2100, but I have a low cumulative GPA, so I'm trying to make up for it with a higher SAT. My goal is to get at least a 2200 on the spring test, but I'm having a hard time raising my score.
I've probably taken 4 practice tests and have taken a prep class and been reviewing my notes from it since summer, but idk how else to improve
Do you guys have any tips/tricks/pieces of advice? Btw my lowest section was math with a 550
Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do every single practice problem.

Books:
The PowerScore SAT * Math Bible
Barron's SAT Math Workbook

What's your GPA?

I took the January 24th 2015 SAT also, and I received a score of 2140 and most of my friends scored over 2200, so I think I can give some advice. I used the College Board's "The Official SAT Guide" and did all but one or two of the 10 practice tests in the study guide. These practice exams have been previously administered, so they're the best practice you can get. Additionally, I timed myself and treated each practice test like it was the real testing date, and so I took the test in a distraction-free, quiet environment. After you take the test, and see which questions you got wrong, I would see where I went wrong.

Some things that can give you an advantage are:
- memorizing the format and directions on each section
- becoming familiar with the calculator you plan to use for the SAT (make sure it's acceptable)
- sleeping well and eating healthily during the week before the SAT (don't take a practice test just several days before the SAT)
- stay motivated; look up SAT tips online (College Board is you best friend)

For the Critical Reading sentence completions, I studied a list of frequently used SAT words, and this helped me a lot. But what helps even more is knowing which words in these questions INDICATE a direction or transition. For example, words like BUT, HOWEVER, and UNLIKE show that the next word will have the opposite or close-to-opposite meaning of the first word.
Tip: If you have free time, learning some prefixes and suffixes, and Latin and Greek roots can help you. Then, when you approach a choice where you don't know the word(s), you can dissect the word(s) by their roots. This has helped me many times!

For the Critical Reading passages, I went to the questions first, and quickly marked the lines that each question referenced. Then, I would read the passage at a moderate to quick pace, slowing down at the marked sections. This is where the practice tests come in; practicing this strategy will help you become familiar with it on the real exam day. Use the process of elimination and play devil's advocate to cross out any obvious wrong answers.

For the Writing multiple choice, I studied several basic grammar rules and practiced a lot.

For the essay, you only have about 20-25 minutes, so it is important to get to the point. What you should include in your essay is:
i. 1st paragraph (Intro): a good thesis statement (a clear response to the prompt); also list the different examples you will use to justify/support your thesis.
ii. body paragraphs: usually 2-4 paragraphs; make sure to include examples (personal anecdotes, historical references, etc.). By researching some important figures and events in history, I was able to write a good essay.
iii. last paragraph: your conclusion can be 2-3 sentences long. Don't copy your thesis; REPHRASE it in a different way. Also, your final sentence can be a personal message or theme that captures the essence of your position on the prompt.

The take-home message for studying for the SAT is to practice, practice, practice! I really can't stress this enough. I would recommend taking a whole practice test in one day, and spacing these practice tests apart so that you have time to review your wrong answers. And when you practice, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE Official SAT Study Guide. I've used the Princeton Review and Barron's SAT books, and the Official Study Guide is far superior to these books, mainly for the obvious reason that College Board made it.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
What's your GPA?

Cumulative- around a 3.3 from an extremely competitive bay area prep school, but I've had a steep upward trend (2.9 from the second semester of freshmen year and first semester sophomore year to a 4.0 last semester)
I'm extremely worried that it's going to hold me back... it's just unfair how my friends across town at the ****ty public school pull 4.0+'s with minimal effort while I had to bust my ass for B-'s, but hopefully colleges will see how determined I am to work hard!

I took the January 24th 2015 SAT also, and I received a score of 2140 and most of my friends scored over 2200, so I think I can give some advice. I used the College Board's "The Official SAT Guide" and did all but one or two of the 10 practice tests in the study guide. These practice exams have been previously administered, so they're the best practice you can get. Additionally, I timed myself and treated each practice test like it was the real testing date, and so I took the test in a distraction-free, quiet environment. After you take the test, and see which questions you got wrong, I would see where I went wrong.

Some things that can give you an advantage are:
- memorizing the format and directions on each section
- becoming familiar with the calculator you plan to use for the SAT (make sure it's acceptable)
- sleeping well and eating healthily during the week before the SAT (don't take a practice test just several days before the SAT)
- stay motivated; look up SAT tips online (College Board is you best friend)

For the Critical Reading sentence completions, I studied a list of frequently used SAT words, and this helped me a lot. But what helps even more is knowing which words in these questions INDICATE a direction or transition. For example, words like BUT, HOWEVER, and UNLIKE show that the next word will have the opposite or close-to-opposite meaning of the first word.
Tip: If you have free time, learning some prefixes and suffixes, and Latin and Greek roots can help you. Then, when you approach a choice where you don't know the word(s), you can dissect the word(s) by their roots. This has helped me many times!

For the Critical Reading passages, I went to the questions first, and quickly marked the lines that each question referenced. Then, I would read the passage at a moderate to quick pace, slowing down at the marked sections. This is where the practice tests come in; practicing this strategy will help you become familiar with it on the real exam day. Use the process of elimination and play devil's advocate to cross out any obvious wrong answers.

For the Writing multiple choice, I studied several basic grammar rules and practiced a lot.

For the essay, you only have about 20-25 minutes, so it is important to get to the point. What you should include in your essay is:
i. 1st paragraph (Intro): a good thesis statement (a clear response to the prompt); also list the different examples you will use to justify/support your thesis.
ii. body paragraphs: usually 2-4 paragraphs; make sure to include examples (personal anecdotes, historical references, etc.). By researching some important figures and events in history, I was able to write a good essay.
iii. last paragraph: your conclusion can be 2-3 sentences long. Don't copy your thesis; REPHRASE it in a different way. Also, your final sentence can be a personal message or theme that captures the essence of your position on the prompt.

The take-home message for studying for the SAT is to practice, practice, practice! I really can't stress this enough. I would recommend taking a whole practice test in one day, and spacing these practice tests apart so that you have time to review your wrong answers. And when you practice, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE Official SAT Study Guide. I've used the Princeton Review and Barron's SAT books, and the Official Study Guide is far superior to these books, mainly for the obvious reason that College Board made it.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much!!
I'm on the same boat as you, I go to a private HS and the standard is much higher than the local public high schools. I've been busting ass to get 3.4 since day 1, and I feel that I could easily get 4.0 at the public.

What really irritates me is that the colleges don't place my scores any higher even though they're far more advanced (not trying to sound egoistic, but it's true).

I'm on the same boat as you, I go to a private HS and the standard is much higher than the local public high schools. I've been busting ass to get 3.4 since day 1, and I feel that I could easily get 4.0 at the public.

What really irritates me is that the colleges don't place my scores any higher even though they're far more advanced (not trying to sound egoistic, but it's true).

finally someone who understands!!
and hell yeah they're more advanced. and at least we actually know how to study and how to handle a rigorous curriculum...conceivably college will be easier for us then for our lazier and spoon-fed counterparts lol
plus i'm pretty sure colleges know which high schools have grade inflation and which ones are harder, etc so we'll be fine (hopefully). i mean if i was on an adcom, i'd take the 3.5 from the competitive school over the 4.5 from the easy school any day, granted the applicant had solid ECs and test scores to back them up

It's extremely arrogant of you to say that public school students are lazy and spoon-fed. Your saying that actually proves how uneducated YOU are. I am in a public school in Charlotte, NC with a GPA of 4.1 ,but my class rank is 133/504. My school is extremely competitive and rigorous, and your "private school 3.5" would probably STILL be a 3.5 at my school.

I was clearly talking about the public school in my town, not every public school in the US. I'm from the bay area and a lot of our public schools are nationally ranked and incredibly prestigious- in no way is it a walk in the park to succeed at some of them, but the particular school I was referring to is not competitive. You need to chill with the insults lol obviously not every public school is the same

I am from the bay and went to a top public school - there isn't that much difference if that's what you're talking about...public vs. private. In fact, private schools generally have better teachers and more opportunities - I would know as I go to a private university myself. No excuses for not doing well - quit the complaining and vent that frustration into doing well these next few years. USC is possible, I believe in you. :)

I am from the bay and went to a top public school - there isn't that much difference if that's what you're talking about...public vs. private. In fact, private schools generally have better teachers and more opportunities - I would know as I go to a private university myself. No excuses for not doing well - quit the complaining and vent that frustration into doing well these next few years. USC is possible, I believe in you. :)

That was really sweet, thank you :) if you don't mind me asking, are you still in California for undergrad?

3.3/1910 is very solid in my opinion. I had a similar SAT score and a ~3.5 and got into a reach school, most of my targets, and all my safeties. I also got waitlisted at 2 reach schools in which I could have probably gotten off one of their waitlist but at that point, I decided on one school I already got in at that point.

There is no way to cut corners in life. If you are under performing in math you need to practice, practice, practice. Obviously focus on the ones you are getting wrong and why so. There are also books specifically designed for the SAT math section that you should get. 4 practice tests is not enough. You should be taking 20+ practice tests. Your math score has the potential to increase at least 100 points if you do this. There is a lot of free content provided at www.relentlessstudent.com

There is no way to cut corners in life. If you are under performing in math you need to practice, practice, practice. Obviously focus on the ones you are getting wrong and why so. There are also books specifically designed for the SAT math section that you should get. 4 practice tests is not enough. You should be taking 20+ practice tests. Your math score has the potential to increase at least 100 points if you do this. There is a lot of free content provided at www.relentlessstudent.com

Hey, Nick. This thread is over a year old, and the original poster has likely finished all of his SAT studying by now! I know I do not have any authority to say this, but do NOT grave-dig posts because they are likely useless to the current users of this forum. I assume this was an accident, though, as most gravedigs are.