Need to memorize IR frequencies for O-Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valerie13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just joined the forum but I have been reading around for a while...

I am taking the Princeton Review Course and they give us a list of values to memorize for both IR stretching frequencies and proton NMR chemical shifts.

Should I put in the time to memorize the common values?

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely know general carbonyl and hydroxyl. Beyond that....... only if you have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
not only do u have to memorize them, but u have to know how to draw them to scale

and also integrate that integrated curve as well. then be able to flip ot over the y-axis, raise it to itself, and factorial the whole product. if you can't do this, your bound to fizzle, dummy

peace out

HIIC

Just know that a C=O is 1700 cm-1 and an O-H is 3300-3600 cm-1 (broad). Any other peaks you may need can be guestimated fromthose two.

For NMR, know that aldehydes are around 9, carboxylic Hs ar broad and greater than 10ppm, and that benzene protons are around 7ppm.

If you have access to the BR spectroscopy section, that does a great job explaining what peaks you need, how to derive others, and how to solve questions with minimal information. Try to find the spectroscopy section from BR if you have a friend using their newer books.

How is TPR going? I am consideringi taking it... don't know to take TPR, Kaplan or Berkley...

J

TPR is a good course, generally speaking

I really like the fact that the course paces your studies, and gives you a homework syllabus and stuff like that, because it gives you a structured study scheduele...which is good for me because it keeps me focused.

For the most part the instructurs are approachable and educated in their field....I have no complaints in that department.

The only thing I do not like about TPR is that their diagnostics are really hard. I have taken two already and have scored between 6-9 on all the areas, and instead of the marks improving over time, my marks are just changing in their distribution. I would much rather have diagnostics that are more representative of the real MCAT. What does a 6 mean in TPR terms?? And TPR only starts giving real MCATs for the last two diagnostics, which bugs me, because they will be given the last two weeks before the MCAT!!! Plus, getting such low scores does nothing for your esteem!!

I don't really know anything about Kaplan or Berkeley, so I can't help you much there.

I just felt like ranting about their tests...

I don't know if this helps you :)

At the time I took tpr I also thought their tests were harder, specially the verbal of tpr is NOTHING like the real MCAT. I bought EK VR 101 passages and I did all the exams in that book, got an 11 on the verbal for april mcat. But, the tpr exams I though the ps and bs were easier than the real MCAT. The bio for tpr is pretty straight forward passages and questions, my version of the mcat bio was very very difficult and not straightforward at all so beware. Of course other versions may have been easier. The TPR PS is heavy on physics and calculations, the mcat was mostly gen chem and little calculations totally conceptual. You will probably due much better on the real mcat than on tpr though, so keep at it. I scored 3 points higher on the real deal, and could have scored 2 more if I had read all my ps passages ....:rolleyes: