High yield O-Chem topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am curious as to what people frequently see on their MCAT with regards to O-chem? I took both semesters and got an A in both lecture and Labs BUT I feel as if the class was to easy. She provided study guides and practice tests. Any advice with regards to O-chem on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Ochem on the mcat is generally much less involved than an actual o chem class

HIghest yield topic is probably anything that has to do with a carbonyl

Reactions: 3 users
Ochem on the mcat is generally much less involved than an actual o chem class

HIghest yield topic is probably anything that has to do with a carbonyl

I feel like on the practice tests maybe I am just trying to look into the O-chem questions to hard. C/P is my lowest section and I am only a couple points away from my goal score and I want to bring this section up so bad.

If there was one topic where you could get away with just knowing what might be considered high yield, it's probably o-chem, but if you have time than I definitely suggest taking a look through the content and working on your weaknesses.

High-yield topics I typically recommend are IR, NMR, Lab techniques, carbonyl reactions, Sn1 and Sn2, and naming.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If there was one topic where you could get away with just knowing what might be considered high yield, it's probably o-chem, but if you have time than I definitely suggest taking a look through the content and working on your weaknesses.

High-yield topics I typically recommend are IR, NMR, Lab techniques, carbonyl reactions, Sn1 and Sn2, and naming.

I thought Sn1 and 2 were removed from the test?

A lot of the o chem stuff and b chem stuff overlaps aswell. b chem is just a subset of o chem.

O chem and physics have been greatly watered down for the new mcat. From 1991-2003 half of the bio sectio use to be o chem. From 1991-2014 half the physical sci ice section use to be half physics.

I feel like on the practice tests maybe I am just trying to look into the O-chem questions to hard. C/P is my lowest section and I am only a couple points away from my goal score and I want to bring this section up so bad.

TBH if unless your goal score is a 132 or up there you're probably better served griding gen chem and the more physics/chemy part of biochem than ochem unless you have specific reason to think you're screwing up on ochem but thats just my 2c

Reactions: 1 users
TBH if unless your goal score is a 132 or up there you're probably better served griding gen chem and the more physics/chemy part of biochem than ochem unless you have specific reason to think you're screwing up on ochem but thats just my 2c

Yea I just finished reviewing my EK full length and seen that the questions I missed is physics the most and chem questions that looking back on I knew the answer to. SMH

I checked the official AAMC outline and it is listed in there as being part of the current MCAT

Sn1 chemistry is the basis for the biosynthesis of cholesterol. It is also important for terpenes in natural products.

Sn2 chemistry is important in biochemical pathways (think fat catabolism/anabolism and the citric acid cycle if I remember correctly). It is also the reason why ethylene oxide is used as a sterilizing agent in dentistry and for surgical instruments.

A lot of the o chem stuff and b chem stuff overlaps aswell. b chem is just a subset of o chem.

This is the real MVP point right here. There is not much 'pure orgo' left because pure orgo isn't super helpful for clinical medicine. Biochem certainly is.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I was REALLY glad I studied lab techniques and carbonyl reactions in biochemical pathways. Organic Book 2 from TBR is the high yield Bible. Know that inside and out: sugars, carbonyls, amino acids, and lab stuff.