Need to study for the ADEX DSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonExodus

Dentist in Virgin Islands
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been a practicing dentist for 7 years. I'm very competent clinically. Do I really need to study for the DSE? Is it all common sense treatment planning etc stuff, or are they going to ask about obscure stuff from dental school?

Thanks!
Whit

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I've been a practicing dentist for 7 years. I'm very competent clinically. Do I really need to study for the DSE? Is it all common sense treatment planning etc stuff, or are they going to ask about obscure stuff from dental school?

Thanks!
Whit

I just took it today and it might be a good idea for you to study for it. The majority is common sense but there’s a heavy emphasis on oral pathology and they will also ask about different cements and materials and what not.

Reactions: 1 user
They repeat the same questions so try to find old exams. All in all, The CDCA people are very rude and dishonest. They fail candidates to make more money on the retakes and don't have any meaningful appeal process. try to take a different exam.

Reactions: 1 user
That's sad to hear about the CDCA examiners. I've heard it from many people, but I am still hoping it's fallacy.

Taking the ADEX at Howard in December 2018. If anyone has tips for a dentist (practicing 2 years) to study for the DSE OSCE, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am a practicing dentist, planning to take adex dse. Please let me know if anyone has any recommended material or suggestion to study for the DSE?

Update: passed the clinical portion of ADEX, now time to study for DSE. I've done some research and it seems the "Dentin" book is the primary source for organized information on the exam. I found it on ebay for about $100.
Also, search on google for flashcards that previous test-takers have made. Usually there are repeated questions and topics from those flashcards.

GL all

Update: passed the clinical portion of ADEX, now time to study for DSE. I've done some research and it seems the "Dentin" book is the primary source for organized information on the exam. I found it on ebay for about $100.
Also, search on google for flashcards that previous test-takers have made. Usually there are repeated questions and topics from those flashcards.

GL all

What is the dentin book? Could you give me some specific information so I can find it? Also, were there any specific flash cards that were useful online for you? Thanks in advance!

What is the dentin book? Could you give me some specific information so I can find it? Also, were there any specific flash cards that were useful online for you? Thanks in advance!

I used Quizlet.com as a great resource for repeated questions. I'm taking the test in a couple days, so I'll let you know if it was high yield. Just search "CDCA DSE remembered questions" and things of that nature in quizlet and save the flashcard sets to review. Some of the answers are incorrect, but you can use the Dentin book to help you determine the right answer. For the ones I can't confirm and I'm not sure about, I'm just going to trust my gut. I feel much better about this exam after seeing the style of questions they ask - seems mostly intuitive.

Here's the dentin book I referenced - I purchased mine off ebay.
ADEX — Dentin | The Leader in Dental Exam Preparation

I'm also a practicing dentist, one year out. I heard good things about the dentin book, quizlet recycled questions, and board busters. Any suggestions? Please PM thank you:)

I used Quizlet.com as a great resource for repeated questions. I'm taking the test in a couple days, so I'll let you know if it was high yield. Just search "CDCA DSE remembered questions" and things of that nature in quizlet and save the flashcard sets to review. Some of the answers are incorrect, but you can use the Dentin book to help you determine the right answer. For the ones I can't confirm and I'm not sure about, I'm just going to trust my gut. I feel much better about this exam after seeing the style of questions they ask - seems mostly intuitive.

Here's the dentin book I referenced - I purchased mine off ebay.
ADEX — Dentin | The Leader in Dental Exam Preparation
hey

OCDFlosser did you figure out if quizlets were helpful or not? Thank you