dent_craze

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi all.. I need some invaluable advice from you guys. I am planning to get into dentistry and need some feedback.. I have an MBA with a major in Hospital Administration and an MPH degree. I also have 5 years work experience and now want to switch over to dentistry.. Please guide me as to what steps should I take.. namely:
Where should I get my credentials evaluated??
Its been a while since I read biology and chemistry... what should I study for DAT??
How will the dental schools percieve my application... Any guesses??
Looking forward to hearing from you...
Thanks

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
we have plenty of people who are a little older and have previous careers in our class and they get along with everyone great and are some of the most interesting people to talk to. I don't think dental schools see it as a liability at all. As far as the DAT, pick up the kaplan dat book and the topscore CD, they are what i used and seem to have been tried and true favorites around here too. :D a pretty good number of people in dental school didn't major in science in undergrad either so you're not alone in not remembering much science. Of course you'll still have to take the prerequisite classes if you haven't yet. good luck!

drhobie7

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It is likely that you'll have to retake the prereqs even if you took them during college since it's been so long. Those credits are only good for a set timeframe. You could do a formal post-bacc program or just take the classes at a college near you. Study for the DAT, do some volunteering/shadowing and you're ready.

OP
D

dent_craze

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Biogirl361 said:
we have plenty of people who are a little older and have previous careers in our class and they get along with everyone great and are some of the most interesting people to talk to. I don't think dental schools see it as a liability at all. As far as the DAT, pick up the kaplan dat book and the topscore CD, they are what i used and seem to have been tried and true favorites around here too. :D a pretty good number of people in dental school didn't major in science in undergrad either so you're not alone in not remembering much science. Of course you'll still have to take the prerequisite classes if you haven't yet. good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice. :)

OP
D

dent_craze

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
drhobie7 said:
It is likely that you'll have to retake the prereqs even if you took them during college since it's been so long. Those credits are only good for a set timeframe. You could do a formal post-bacc program or just take the classes at a college near you. Study for the DAT, do some volunteering/shadowing and you're ready.
Thank you so much for your advice. :)