Need Your Honest Opinions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChoomMed

Shade-Filled Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Upward trend is great but no idea how you're going to get past autoscreens and that 3.0 staring at you when your file pops up.

Have you gotten a good handle on your depression? The fight doesn't stop after getting in.

Upward trend is great but no idea how you're going to get past autoscreens and that 3.0 staring at you when your file pops up.

Have you gotten a good handle on your depression? The fight doesn't stop after getting in.
I wouldn't apply till I'm certain I'm above 3.0. I stated that above.

I have gotten a handle on my depression. It comes in waves but I'm in a better place overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you should look into an SMP linking program like Lincoln Memorial

renderTimingPixel.png
I am accepting brutal honesty and also encouragement if you see any glimmer of hope for me.

I AM willing to spend the time, money, and dedication to realize this dream so if more credits are needed to be taken then I will.

I graduated in 2014 with first Bachelors. Sub 3.0 GPA. Accidents and financial difficult coupled with depression led me to a very very dark place that peaked in 2014-2016.

Started DIY post bach I believe in late 2014 and have accumulated about 84 credits. Was working full-time and sometimes 2 jobs while in school or having to take a semester off to save up money. Did not deal with depression during this time because of lack of insurance and family beliefs...sigh. Didn't acknowledge I had no clue how to study and the last 84 credits ended with a cGPA of 3.03 and sGPA of 2.98.

Overall, I have 217 credits give or take with a cGPA of 2.78 and sGPA 2.60.

Last 52 credits have been pulling As and Bs after learning what study techniques actually worked for me and trying to make self-discipline a true habit while dealing with waves of anxiety and depression. I'm in a better place now in terms of that. Last 52 credits I have a cGPA and sGPA of 3.5+.

I know in order to not get screened out I'll have to get it up to 3.0 GPA including all credits taken and apply SUPER BROADLY. Consequences I'll have to accept.

I want to continue to try and make medical school a reality but I'm someone who likes the honest truth too so give it to me. If you feel I still have a chance then please let me know what you think I should do to make it work for me. I have not taken the MCAT.
Upward GPA trends are always good. Your recent post-bac work shaw that the you of now is not the you of then.

Just make sure that your depression is 100% under control, because med school is a furnace

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Yeah I'm going to reiterate what Goro is saying: your academic history combined with your underlying illnesses put you at high risk of trouble even if you are able to get accepted.

I don't know any easier way to say that, but I've seen a number of people manage to barely get in only to flounder for 2-4 years and never even get past he preclinical years. I had a classmate, very mature person and quite accomplished, parents both MDs, hard worker -- spent 4 years trying to get past the preclinical curriculum and never made it. Plenty of similar stories out there too.

Remember that the undergrad coursework you're taking is far easier and your overall situation less stressful than medical school will be. It can be a pressure cooker (or furnace as Goro puts it) that surprises even the most prepared students. If you're just barely getting by now, then you're at high risk for failing out when the workload really gets turned up to "firehose" level. Beyond that, residency adds a jump in workload plus a significant increase in exhaustion combined with the stress of knowing you can actually hurt people if you screw up.

I'm generally an optimist but for someone who has struggled so much even after starting a Post-bacc and aiming toward medicine, it's prudent to look at alternative careers in medicine that could allow a similar scope of practice and job security.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a nursing degree (BSN) then NP is probably the best way forward for OP. You will still be treating people while making 6-figure with minimal or no student debt. You probably won't enjoy the "prestige" factor of being a physician.