Need your thoughts please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leric90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

First off, Just wanted to share that I'm currently preparing my application and am going to take the MCAT at the end of January.

I've been doing well on the AAMC, scoring in the mid 30's and hopefully can bring it up to the high 30's! The part that is mediocre is my GPA which is barely above a 3.

For the EC's, I believe I'm able to show that I've taken on opportunities, responsibilities and conquests that can help describe the person I am and the doctor I so desire.

One thing that may stick out is after my 2nd year in school, I took a year off and committed to serving a year in Samar. Pretty much it was an out of this world (but in this world ironically) experience which I'm so grateful for! It was very rough and tough, but I really feel that I learned a few tremendous lessons from just the exposure of a whole different culture and lifestyle. Although I didn't have the day to day amenities I have here in the states (electricity, running water, refrigeration, living in the jungle, etc), those minor setbacks have become fuel to an overwhelming desire to serve international overseas communities with medicine.

In terms of volunteering, leadership and clinical experience - I think I have ample things to share about on my AMCAS showing continuation, commitment, leadership, service, creativity, community and teamwork

I'm honestly thinking of doing an SMP, but depending on how well I do on the MCAT, I might have a good shot getting into my state school (Illinois)

Thanks and Merry Christmas + Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Merry Christmas!

First off, Just wanted to share that I'm currently preparing my application and am going to take the MCAT at the end of January.

I've been doing well on the AAMC, scoring in the mid 30's and hopefully can bring it up to the high 30's! The part that is mediocre is my GPA which is barely above a 3.

For the EC's, I believe I'm able to show that I've taken on opportunities, responsibilities and conquests that can help describe the person I am and the doctor I so desire.

One thing that may stick out is after my 2nd year in school, I took a year off and committed to serving a year in Samar. Pretty much it was an out of this world (but in this world ironically) experience which I'm so grateful for! It was very rough and tough, but I really feel that I learned a few tremendous lessons from just the exposure of a whole different culture and lifestyle. Although I didn't have the day to day amenities I have here in the states (electricity, running water, refrigeration, living in the jungle, etc), those minor setbacks have become fuel to an overwhelming desire to serve international overseas communities with medicine.

In terms of volunteering, leadership and clinical experience - I think I have ample things to share about on my AMCAS showing continuation, commitment, leadership, service, creativity, community and teamwork

I'm honestly thinking of doing an SMP, but depending on how well I do on the MCAT, I might have a good shot getting into my state school (Illinois)

What is your BCPM? Why is your cGPA on the lower side?

What is your BCPM? Why is your cGPA on the lower side?

My GPA actually was on the lower side ever since freshman year. After getting pneumonia and bronchitis my 2nd semester (which I flunked), I had just been a bad student - unmotivated, depressed and selfpitying. My 4th semester, another student robbed my dorm in which he stole my book bag and laptop, all this 2 days before finals. I could blame it on anything, but at the end of the day - I didn't earn the grades, ever since getting back, my GPA has been above a 3.5 - my BCPM is the same as my cumulative.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA actually was on the lower side ever since freshman year. After getting pneumonia and bronchitis my 2nd semester (which I flunked), I had just been a bad student - unmotivated, depressed and selfpitying. My 4th semester, another student robbed my dorm in which he stole my book bag and laptop, all this 2 days before finals. I could blame it on anything, but at the end of the day - I didn't earn the grades, ever since getting back, my GPA has been above a 3.5 - my BCPM is the same as my cumulative.
I think that engaging in an SMP is a fine idea to prove you have what it takes, provided you can earn a cGPA of 3.7+ or greater (as, if you can't, it would be a colossal waste of money).

That's not to say that an acceptance without an SMP is impossible if you manage a higher 30s MCAT. For example: All applicants applying with a 3.11/35 had a 44% chance of an acceptance in the last three years (though it would be helpful if you have a steep upward grade trend the last three terms).

I seriously doubt that you're going to have much luck with any of yoru state schools with a GPA of ~3. You're going to need to raise it to a min of 3.4 to be barely competetive, and that is with a killer MCAT to boot.

You may be at the very bottom end of competetive for CCOM, but I'm not hopeful either.

Try re-taking your poor grade courses. But good luck on the MCAT!

Merry Christmas!

I seriously doubt that you're going to have much luck with any of yoru state schools with a GPA of ~3. You're going to need to raise it to a min of 3.4 to be barely competetive, and that is with a killer MCAT to boot.

You may be at the very bottom end of competetive for CCOM, but I'm not hopeful either.

Try re-taking your poor grade courses. But good luck on the MCAT!

yeah there's definitely a doubt - i've been scoring between a 35-36 on the aamc but i think i can raise it a little bit more (not trying to be brash)

my gpa is going to be around a 3.2 i think, i was looking at uic and their 10th percentile gpa is 2.9, so maybe if i have a mcat that's in their 99th percentile, they'll be willing to give my ec's and my overall application a look!