Needful advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEDSAM1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the mcat and scored a 22. I have a cumulative and science gpa of 3.3. However, before I can apply I have to take Organic chemistry I and II. So, I won't be eligible to apply until this time next year (December 2006). If I apply in December of 2006 will I have a shot at admission for 2007?? Any suggestions?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

you don't need to have the prereqs completed by the time you apply, but by the time you START SCHOOL!!

so apply june 1st next year, the first day that you can. on your application you will indicate ochem 1 and 2 as courses you will take in the future. once you get into a school they require your final transcripts at which point they make sure you took all the classes you had to which you will have and you'll be fine.

make sense?

JEDSAM1 said:
I have taken the mcat and scored a 22. I have a cumulative and science gpa of 3.3. However, before I can apply I have to take Organic chemistry I and II. So, I won't be eligible to apply until this time next year (December 2006). If I apply in December of 2006 will I have a shot at admission for 2007?? Any suggestions?? :confused:

Take the MCAT in April.

Apply June 1st, 2006.

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
you don't need to have the prereqs completed by the time you apply, but by the time you START SCHOOL!!

so apply june 1st next year, the first day that you can. on your application you will indicate ochem 1 and 2 as courses you will take in the future. once you get into a school they require your final transcripts at which point they make sure you took all the classes you had to which you will have and you'll be fine.

make sense?

Thanks Crys20!!! I thought that the application service and the medical schools would not accept my application until all the prereq's were complete.

Would I get an interview even though I have not taken all the pre req's??? Would the schools and app. service weed my application out for not have taken all the required courses, yet?? :confused:

JEDSAM1 said:
Would I get an interview even though I have not taken all the pre req's??? Would the schools and app. service weed my application out for not have taken all the required courses, yet?? :confused:

On your application, there is a space for courses you INTEND TO TAKE.

When reviewing your application, they will assume you will complete those courses successfully.

A large percentage of applicants interview prior to completing prerequisites.

yup you would still get interviews as normal. no weeding out! you will just make sure to indicate on your application the semester you're taking ochem. then they are gonna double check it once you've been accepted, accepted the offer and had your final transcript sent. if everything matches up you're fine! so no worries just be sure the classes do get completed, or else they will rescind your acceptance! :)

JEDSAM1 said:

Now, I will preface this by saying I am still premed and finishing up for 2008. But, from everything I have read, isn't a BAD idea to take MCAT prior to any Ochem? I would be interested to know your breakdown?

Rob

My MCAT breakdown was 7v, 7, 8, O. A lot of studying. I am going to take it again in April.

Rob-
Most people recommend taking at least the first ochem pre-mcat. The reason it isn't SO big a deal is that usually the ochem on the mcat is relatively simple and there isn't a whole, whole lot although you never know; mine was like 60/40 i think with 40 percent ochem but again it's simple stuff and if you have lots of prep time its stuff you can learn from some basic review books.

crys20 said:
Rob-
Most people recommend taking at least the first ochem pre-mcat. The reason it isn't SO big a deal is that usually the ochem on the mcat is relatively simple and there isn't a whole, whole lot although you never know; mine was like 60/40 i think with 40 percent ochem but again it's simple stuff and if you have lots of prep time its stuff you can learn from some basic review books.

I had a 23Q on the MCAT with no O-Chem. I probably could have done a little better with some O-Chem under my belt, but I didn't want to wait another year before taking it. I think what would have improved my score the most is more study time!

I sent in all my application stuff before I began taking O-Chem and received interview invites to DMU, Touro-NV, and LECOM. I was waitlisted at Touro, haven't gone to the DMU interview yet, and was accpeted at LECOM on the contigency that I finish O-Chem before I matriculate.

As everyone else said, apply as early as possible! It really does help, I think!

Dorkus, what were your gpa's????