Needle in the spine from 16 or 18 years ago???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I think if half the spinal needle wad missing it would be noticed by whoever was doing the procedure.

uhm, yeah. But what happens next depends on the integrity of the practitioner and whether or not they give a **** about the patient under their care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"It's unclear who might be responsible. Three anesthesiologists were involved in the births." They know exactly who it was...

Reactions: 1 users
"It's unclear who might be responsible. Three anesthesiologists were involved in the births." They know exactly who it was...

One knows for sure. The other two have narrowed it down.

Reactions: 10 users
Seems like it would not be that hard to find and remove. Also could have nothing to do with her symptoms.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of this makes little sense. Chronic shoulder pain from a lumbar injection? Needle trajectory appears oblique and moving in a caudad orientation towards L3-L4 or L4-L5, cannot adequately tell on 1 lateral view with iliac crest in the way.

Does she have a case? Yes...possibly based on her right lower extremity symptoms though unsure if they are causative or coincidental; and retained foreign body.

Too dangerous to remove?....Find me 5 practising neurosurgeons in the whole country who would put that in a consult note. Based on the lateral view in the article, my guess is that this could be removed under local or MAC and a pair of forceps as the initial plan with backup plan of dissecting out the needle from surrounding tissue if indeed too scarred down to remove with forceps.

No fault compensation system? Listen the USA has a big problem with medical malpractice, tort reform has improved this significantly, but at least you have to have evidence and prove your damned case. The health law professor they quote mentions "A whole system kicks in, an administrative scheme where [patients] receive compensation very quickly". Thats exactly what we need....a whole new bloated administrative system that is funded by the taxpayers with no accountability to said taxpayers. Exactly the reason they go on to quote that none of the provincial governments have enacted this system. I dunno maybe she is just studying or writing a paper on the issue, not necessarily advocating for it.

Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them." - George Orwell.

Reactions: 2 users
"Her doctors [...] say its location and the scar tissue that's grown around it make it too dangerous to remove."

Uh, what?

Nobody is keen to take on a case where you can absolutely count on being deposed. Possibly added on as a defendant. Especially if you think that there is little to no benefit to the patient for doing the procedure.

There are excuses and there are reasons.

Reactions: 1 user