Negative/positive question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Raiden2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm probably being nitpicky but if a value changes from -4 to -1, it is considered a decrease by a factor of 4 right?

Not sure if questions will ask about increase/decrease. The more I think about it, this could also be an increase. Just want to find out whether such situations arise during a test

So for example, positive and negative charge, if one is brought closer to the other, does the electric potential increase or decrease? It becomes more negative so it decreases? Or increase because the magnitude goes up?
 
Last edited:
I'm probably being nitpicky but if a value changes from -4 to -1, it is considered a decrease by a factor of 4 right?

Not sure if questions will ask about increase/decrease. The more I think about it, this could also be an increase. Just want to find out whether such situations arise during a test

Ah, good question. I've never seen anything where the +/- is tested and noticed that they say something like "magnitude" a lot. I guess you're right though that TECHNICALLY the value has increased though since it's less negative.
 
The magnitude decreased 4 times. The number technically increased but that is rather awkward phrasing. Increased by 3 is a similar situation but a bit more likely to encounter.