Negotiating a fair market salary

Started by pinkyrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkyrx

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the proper way to negotiate salary? I have an interview next week and I am pretty sure that the salary is going to be a bit low considering the responsibilities of this specific position. It's a fantastic job, so I will take it even if the salary is lower than I'd like, but I figure it can't hurt to try to negotiate.

Do they tell you the actual salary during the interview process? They gave me a salary range when I talked to them on the phone, but nothing specific. Also, when do you find out about the details of benefits, vacation, bonuses and all that? Are you supposed to discuss that during the interview or do they give it to you later? (I know you're not supposed to make the interview all about "what you can do for me", but it needs to be more questions about the company and job itself)

I guess I'm just wondering when is the appropriate time to actually ask for more money and exactly how you word something like that. Do you say it in person at the interview or do you tell them that you are going to think it over and then call back and ask for a higher salary?

I'm beyond excited about this opportunity and I want them to know that, so I don't want to seem negative about it by asking for more money. I figure some of you have been through this already and might have some advice.

Thanks in advance!👍
 
Focus on what a unique opportunity you think this is and the money will come. Don't bring up money right off the bat, I'd wait until I either had the offer or I was sure it was coming. Sometimes (and I hate this), the interviewer will bring up money right away to see if they want to spend time talking with you. I usually respond with a range since early in the interview is the time to talk about the job and for participants to interview each other to determine fit - not to spell out compensation.

Good luck on your interview!
 
Always wait until you get an offer before you talk money. Once you got a figure you can negotiate and ask for what you think your worth + 5-10%. The only thing they can say is no. If you don't want the job don't negotiate and decline politely not to burn any bridges.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, if they give you the specific salary offer face to face, do you ask right then and there for the increase or do you go home and think about it and then call back to discuss it?

I'm just unsure about the polite way to do all of this. Like I said before it's a great position and I'd probably take it no matter the salary, but I don't want to take the bare minimum if it's possible to get a bit more. I keep wondering if an extra $5K/year is even worth the risk of potentially offending my would be new boss. 👍 👎
 
So, if they give you the specific salary offer face to face, do you ask right then and there for the increase or do you go home and think about it and then call back to discuss it?

I'm just unsure about the polite way to do all of this. Like I said before it's a great position and I'd probably take it no matter the salary, but I don't want to take the bare minimum if it's possible to get a bit more. I keep wondering if an extra $5K/year is even worth the risk of potentially offending my would be new boss. 👍 👎
Ask them if there's any room for negotiating (they don't want to offend you either by giving you a low offer).

See what they want to do. They may want to negotiate on the spot, or they may not. Try to negotiate your salary after the interview if possible. You'll need time to think about it.

I would take negotiating very seriously. Most likely, all of your raises will be based on what you're currently making. In the future, I highly doubt they would increase your salary by a blanket number, so your initial salary will be very important. They usually give raises based on a percentage of what you're already making.
 
Just say you need time to think it over. Then call with your number in a day or two. Have good reasons prepared to justify why you deserve your salary in case they ask. Just remember the worst they can say is no. Negotiations are just like a poker game. Don't show too much excitement even if it is your dream job. Remain professional always being positive during negotiations. Since pharmacists are so much in demand we have the upper hand. If you got the offer you know that they want to hire you as well.
 
In my experience and what worked for me was being up front and honest about letting them know that I was still interviewing with other companies at the end of the 1st interview. They immediately responded "well if it's a money issue we have some room to talk".....So I did the other interview.....went back to my oigional offer and told them to meet me half-way at $57. My negotiation for more money effected my Rxmgr by bumping him up an extra $5/hr (or 10K/yr). This was the change of events that occured with me. They were hurting for a 3rd pharmacist....So your negotiation really boils down to how bad do they want you, and what are the competitive rates for pharmacists in your area.
 
Bumping this back up...

Do you guys think most non-chain pharmacy managment expect new pharmacists to negotiate their starting salary? Around here all the chain pharmacies have a set pay scale so there is no point in asking them about increasing the salary. I'm more curious about independents, home infusion, long term care and other non-traditional type pharmacies.

I know that the salary stuff is supposed to be all business (no personal feelings taken into account), but I can't help but think that some employers would be offended if they thought they were giving you a nice offer and then you didn't think it was good enough.
 
It's all part of the game. That's really all capitalism is. A huge ****in' lame *** game. Personally, I like throwing extra weeks of vacation out there as an add on. Screw money, free time is worth more than anything. Don't forget - they need you more than you need them. Especially this late in the game. Prime new graduate recruiting time is early Spring. This is the last good chance they have to pick up the avalanche of candidates graduating in May. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal. The "set salary" thing is bunk, too. My boy Brad started out at the high end of the salary range with CVS when he was supposed to start out lower last year because he basically demanded it. Just remember to put everything in an eloquent way and be informed. Know what your peers are making.
 
It's all part of the game. That's really all capitalism is. A huge ****in' lame *** game. Personally, I like throwing extra weeks of vacation out there as an add on. Screw money, free time is worth more than anything. Don't forget - they need you more than you need them. Especially this late in the game. Prime new graduate recruiting time is early Spring. This is the last good chance they have to pick up the avalanche of candidates graduating in May. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal. The "set salary" thing is bunk, too. My boy Brad started out at the high end of the salary range with CVS when he was supposed to start out lower last year because he basically demanded it. Just remember to put everything in an eloquent way and be informed. Know what your peers are making.

Vacation is where you should negotiate. Salary is going to be about the same in any geographic region. Trust me, $3-$4 an hour isn't going to make that much of a difference. Starting off with 2 or 3 weeks of vacation verses having to wait for a year is a big deal. Time off is what matters.
 
Salary negotiation is the most tough part in the interview. The key is to find out the range they can offer. Many website has this kind of information, like JPSData.com, salary.com, and monster.com. Avoid to be out of range, just slightly below the upper range and a little than average. This is the comfort zone for many hiring manager. If everything is going well, then ask hiring mgr whether you can have an extra week of vacation. Mostly you will get it. In case you won't get it, you may be given extra money for the salary or more sign on bonus.
 
Vacation is where you should negotiate. Salary is going to be about the same in any geographic region. Trust me, $3-$4 an hour isn't going to make that much of a difference. Starting off with 2 or 3 weeks of vacation verses having to wait for a year is a big deal. Time off is what matters.

Vacation time is going to be the sticking point in my negotiations next year. I didn't put myself through this at this point in my life so I can spend 15 years waiting for four weeks of vacation. In nearly every westernized country except the US, two weeks of vacation would be considered an insulting joke.
 
I got 25 days starting out (based on 8-hour days)...i.e. that's how many days per year they will let me sit on my ass and get paid for doing nothing at home/elsewhere. Assuming I work every holiday (which I will, I hate them all and my coworkers have all told me that they'd gladly let me do as such) I essentially will get 5 weeks of vacation. Or more likely, 4 weeks plus a few random personal days here and there.

Plus, if I stay around, it bumps up to 30 days in 5 years.
 
Hi guys...

I just got hired by a chain (Target) for a pharmacist position when I graduate this may. I am from San Francisco, CA so you know the cost of living here is high. The offer was for $50/hr. I was very excited just to get the offer that she went through the details rather quickly and now I had time to soak it in, $50/hr is definitely low for my area (heck, for any area).

My friend from socal just got hired at Target for $56/hr and I had some friends of friends (I know, anecdotal) get hired in another region at Target in norcal for $58/hr.

So I have my drug test tomorrow and I plan to contact my recruiter to ask other questions and also to see if I could discuss the salary.

What is the best way of approaching this without sounding ungrateful. They were being very selective in the interviewing process (I believe them, jobs are becoming much harder to get in Norcal).

My plan is to mention fair market value per salary.com is much more. I just don't know how to even start the conversation. I am not looking to be on the higher end of the range, just something like $55/hr (more than fair for SF area) would make me happy since they do offer OT pay and opportunities.

Any suggestions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the offer is probably lower because you're using a recruiter, so some of your salary probably has to go to him. at least, thats how i thought it worked. Hmm and i thought there werent any jobs left in california
 
the offer is probably lower because you're using a recruiter, so some of your salary probably has to go to him. at least, thats how i thought it worked. Hmm and i thought there werent any jobs left in california

i thought the same too..but congrats on getting a job! anyway, if i were u, go talk to the district manager or whoever hired you...and said that you wanted a few extra dollars/hr more due to high gas price, etc...worst scenario is he/she turns you down, but whatever....at least u asked.
 
I would straight out ask why everyone else was getting more per hr and we work for the same company in Cali.....

sounds reasonable to me.......👍

i agree, be straight up...dont beat around the bush...just be honest...don t show weakness, be professional...whats the worst that could happen? they say no...just ask them...
 
I should probably clarify this is the Target college-relationships recruiter. Basically she is Target and not a 3rd company recruiter.

But thanks for the advice, I will call tomorrow and be straight up...professionally of course.

EDIT: to clarify, jobs are very hard to come by in SF and surrounding areas nowadays. I also got an unofficial offer floater position from Rite Aid since I'm interning there (roughly $56/hr). They aren't offering this position to people outside of the Rite Aid family I heard. Everywhere else said they were absolutely not hiring, even Walgreens and CVS. I was definitely worried.

I am thankful I do not have to work in Oakland (ghetto area) or further out in the east bay (45 min commute from SF) or move to Sacramento (northern northern Cali area). That's what it looks like out here in SF as we speak. Been job hunting for the past 5 weeks for anyone who cares. Looks like Target has a few spots remaining though but they're being very selective.
 
Last edited:
I should probably clarify this is the Target college-relationships recruiter. Basically she is Target and not a 3rd company recruiter.

But thanks for the advice, I will call tomorrow and be straight up...professionally of course.

EDIT: to clarify, jobs are very hard to come by in SF and surrounding areas nowadays. I also got an unofficial offer floater position from Rite Aid since I'm interning there (roughly $56/hr). They aren't offering this position to people outside of the Rite Aid family I heard. Everywhere else said they were absolutely not hiring, even Walgreens and CVS. I was definitely worried.

I am thankful I do not have to work in Oakland (ghetto area) or further out in the east bay (45 min commute from SF) or move to Sacramento (northern northern Cali area). That's what it looks like out here in SF as we speak. Been job hunting for the past 5 weeks for anyone who cares. Looks like Target has a few spots remaining though but they're being very selective.

I live in SC and got $58.50/hr from RA. CVS and Wags are only hiring some of their interns as floaters. I got a PRN postion and a guaranteed store.

That is low considering the COL is much higher out there. Looks like retails are dropping salaries faster than I thought they would have in competitive areas...😱
 
They probably low ball you because they can get someone else who is desperate enough to start working and start paying their student loan.

I ask other pharmacists directly when I transfer in/out rx about their pay rate
RAD $57 in SoCal union, Nonunion $60
CVS $58 SoCal
WAG in New Mexico around $60
Longs $58 in SF a year ago before acquired by CVS

These are staff positions, if you are hired as a manager add $5-6.50 more/hour.

North California should get at least $3-5 more per hour due to high cost of living...
 
OK, so after another phone call, I was told there was a mistake in the offer sheet. They literally read me the wrong number.

I ended up with $57/hr at Target with OT opportunity. (i.e. 12 hr shifts, 1.5 time pay for anything over 8 hrs) with 42 hr work weeks. And while waiting for my NAPLEX test, I wil be making half of my pharmacist wage as a grad intern ($28.50/hr). I will be a staff pharmacist with my own store.

Salaries are not dropping in SF, not one bit.

I am very happy with the offer, not because it was a good one but because this was my #1 choice over Rite Aid, Walgreens (or anything else with a drive thru). 😀
 
OK, so after another phone call, I was told there was a mistake in the offer sheet. They literally read me the wrong number.

I ended up with $57/hr at Target with OT opportunity. (i.e. 12 hr shifts, 1.5 time pay for anything over 8 hrs) with 42 hr work weeks. And while waiting for my NAPLEX test, I wil be making half of my pharmacist wage as a grad intern ($28.50/hr). I will be a staff pharmacist with my own store.

Salaries are not dropping in SF, not one bit.

I am very happy with the offer, not because it was a good one but because this was my #1 choice over Rite Aid, Walgreens (or anything else with a drive thru). 😀

congrats! glad it works out well for you...time to take SDNers out and party ???lol...
 
OK, so after another phone call, I was told there was a mistake in the offer sheet. They literally read me the wrong number.

I ended up with $57/hr at Target with OT opportunity. (i.e. 12 hr shifts, 1.5 time pay for anything over 8 hrs) with 42 hr work weeks. And while waiting for my NAPLEX test, I wil be making half of my pharmacist wage as a grad intern ($28.50/hr). I will be a staff pharmacist with my own store.

Salaries are not dropping in SF, not one bit.

I am very happy with the offer, not because it was a good one but because this was my #1 choice over Rite Aid, Walgreens (or anything else with a drive thru). 😀

They changed the offer after they knew you were about to ask why? :laugh:

Target is a good company....:luck:
 
I realize this is an old thread, but it's worth the try. I'm speaking to WM right now, and they pay rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than high end pay for retail, but it is a very rural area. I know they are hurting for people, but since I can't even find a stable part time position in my hometown, which is about 3 hours from this rural town, I'm trying not to feel too sure that I've got the job and can go about demanding things.

But, the standard 1 week vacation is pathetic. Does anyone know if there is room to negotiate with WM regarding vacation? This would be a 2 year contract, and not enough time to accrue much vacation based on years with the company. I don't plan on staying with WM long term as they aren't located where I plan to end up (amazing!).

I HATE negotiating. It is not my thing. Even though the pay is high I would like a few dollars more and the vacation is really rough. Any suggestions?
 
I realize this is an old thread, but it's worth the try. I'm speaking to WM right now, and they pay rate is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than high end pay for retail, but it is a very rural area. I know they are hurting for people, but since I can't even find a stable part time position in my hometown, which is about 3 hours from this rural town, I'm trying not to feel too sure that I've got the job and can go about demanding things.

But, the standard 1 week vacation is pathetic. Does anyone know if there is room to negotiate with WM regarding vacation? This would be a 2 year contract, and not enough time to accrue much vacation based on years with the company. I don't plan on staying with WM long term as they aren't located where I plan to end up (amazing!).

I HATE negotiating. It is not my thing. Even though the pay is high I would like a few dollars more and the vacation is really rough. Any suggestions?

I interviewd with Wal-Mart a few years ago. I was told by several Pharmacits who work for Wal-mart that everything is negotiable. In fact they told me they will try to low ball you on everything.

You need to look at how great their need is verse how great your need of a job is. If they do not accept your offer are you willing to walk away? If they really need a Pharmacist you have some room to negotiate. Do not go crazy. Find out what the going rate of pay and vacation is in your area. It might be hard to negotiate if you are a new grad. If you have some experience play it up. Let them know all you offer and what you think you can do for the company. Then tell them this is the going rate and I have had offers at $X dollars per hour and for X number of vacation weeks per year. I am really excited about working for your company and filling a need you have in a hard to staff rural area. For the $2 more than the above figure and 4 weeks of vacation I would love to come work for you.

Remember negotiations are like a game. You will always lose if you are not willing to walk away from terms that are not acceptable. It is the same with buying a new car, a house or negotiating salary. Stick to your guns and be prepared to walk away if they do not accept your offer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ill be honest, negotiations in this economy ARE NOT possible.

employers know the economy is terrible right now and that there is a fresh new pump out of new grads willing to take ANYTHING bc they got debt like crazy.

companies know this and will low ball you, if you dont take it right now they just go the next person. there is no negotiations for pharmacy anymore. most places been on hiring freezes and there are no more signon bonuses
 
This is good advice. Even though you don't want to be overly excited, don't completely hide your excitement, though. Lack of enthusiasm can be a red flag to a potential employer.

If you say you are very interested and they really like you, they will still be interested in negotiating with you.

Let them know you would like to take everything into consideration and will get back to them in X number of days.

Write down what's important to you in the offer--it's not all about the salary, so if they won't budge too much with salary, negotiate each of the other benefits that are important to you.

When negotiating for salary, justify why you think it's a fair salary (that you want) and also go back to what's important to the employer. If you continue to close them on how you can fulfill what's important to them, they will be more likely to pay you more. If they are not willing to budge much, you can always ask for an evaluation after x period of time after you start to determine a raise for your peformance.

Just say you need time to think it over. Then call with your number in a day or two. Have good reasons prepared to justify why you deserve your salary in case they ask. Just remember the worst they can say is no. Negotiations are just like a poker game. Don't show too much excitement even if it is your dream job. Remain professional always being positive during negotiations. Since pharmacists are so much in demand we have the upper hand. If you got the offer you know that they want to hire you as well.
 
ill be honest, negotiations in this economy ARE NOT possible.

employers know the economy is terrible right now and that there is a fresh new pump out of new grads willing to take ANYTHING bc they got debt like crazy.

companies know this and will low ball you, if you dont take it right now they just go the next person. there is no negotiations for pharmacy anymore. most places been on hiring freezes and there are no more signon bonuses

There's our negative Nancy, we've missed you.