Negotiating a free summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirrileydog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to an MD PhD program (not MSTP) that is offering to set me up with a summer apartment for me and my significant other. It's a great offer but I still have 2 MSTP programs to hear from. I explained this but they still pressed because housing can be difficult.... So, I suggested that this would be a great thing to discuss with the director at revisit weekend. In short, I'd prefer not to do a summer rotation--if I take the apartment, I'm committed. Finances are not an issue.

Yes, I've heard the rationale about doing a full summer rotation. I know it's a good thing. At one MSTP school, I heard that 50% of the students did a summer rotation. Many of the current student all recommended it. I'm coming off 3+ years of full time lab work and would like a break before digging in for the long haul.

1. If I want to take the summer off, what are the best arguments/ negotiation tact that I take with the director? What negotiation leverage do I have with only 1 offer?

2. What percentage of students do summer rotations at the schools you've interviewed at?

-'dog (i think i need a new screenname)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm personally not going to do a summer rotation.

If I'm about to start a full 8 year program followed by real life, then theres no way on gods green earth I'm gonna work this summer.

I would tell them something like that, maybe a bit more eloquently. You're already accepted, now its your turn to call the shots.