Negotiating Raise for promotion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avex007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just offered a RxM position from a staff position at WAG. Was told that I am not allowed to choose store. Due to promotional pay freeze, I am not sure about it.

1) should I take it? How to find out which store it might be

2) How do I ask for a raise or bonus?

3) what will happen if I am placed in a problem store and it doesn't work out?

Pros: Its a path to promotion. You have control over the techs behavior. Possibility of increased pay.
Cons: more work. Everything is blamed on you. You're screwed if the store manager doesn't like you.

Members don't see this ad.

No chance, for me 10k$ yearly salary premium minimum to move from staff to PIC. The fact that they make you say yes before telling you what store is shady too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The landscape is different now but I was given a 12k$ bump at Rite Aid for moving to PIC 6 years ago. I would just state the extra work and responsibly is not worth any less of a raise

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure it’s non-negotiable but I guess you can try
As far as taking the position, it comes down to how much you make right now and how you feel about your current store

Just so I understand correctly, Walgreens is offering you a promotion to Rx Manager / PIC yet is unable to tell you the location of the position or the pay rate?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Reactions: 2 users
'Promotional pay freeze' sounds like BS too. There's a lot of slimey aspects of this I wouldnt even entertain it

You tell them the added responsibilities warrant a pay raise, and you are not taking a promotion and increase in duties without getting paid your value.

You guys forgetting that OP went from worrying about issues with PIC and techs and his reviews... Apparently job security is not an issue.

Usually I would say stay away. There will not be extra money at Walgreens. But in your case. Wouldn't you want to be in charge finally?

Eh, I don't follow who is who among all the n00bs. But I know that no way in hell would I take an RXM/PIC position without a substantial pay raise and bonus, because it adds a lot more responsibility, headache, and trouble. And for an unknown store? Nah.

lol why is this even a question? if you want to accept more responsibilities and work without negotiating a higher pay, then you might as well bend over for WAG. I would NEVER accept a managerial position if i am getting the same pay as staff. I thought this was common sense?

Reactions: 4 users
Wait a second - there is a “promotional pay freeze”?? Wt actual h......

Tell them absolutely not - if not for self respect but for respect for your career.

Tell them that you expect your 0.025% raise that is customary to accept depression and heart disease

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
'Promotional pay freeze' sounds like BS too. There's a lot of slimey aspects of this I wouldnt even entertain it
It’s true and false
When you go from standard rph to rxm, what essentially happens is that you get terminated from your current position and get rehired at your new position. They do this so any new “promotion” get paid at the new rate, which is much lower than what was the previously offered
I actually know some old timer rphs who were asked to be rxm, but in order to do so, they’d have to take a pay cut

• Wow
So slimy. I would never accept this “promotion.” Give them a number you would do it for. If they can’t meet that number, tell them “no thank you.”

If you want more peace of mind, it’s time to start looking outside Walgreens/CVS for jobs. I would never work for one of those companies.

So slimy. I would never accept this “promotion.” Give them a number you would do it for. If they can’t meet that number, tell them “no thank you.”

If you want more peace of mind, it’s time to start looking outside Walgreens/CVS for jobs. I would never work for one of those companies.

I second this 100%. I would work as a middle manager at Amazon (outside of pharmacy) before I would ever consider something like that.

“promotional raise freeze” give me a break.

I actually know some old timer rphs who were asked to be rxm, but in order to do so, they’d have to take a pay cut
You've gotta be kidding me. I remember Walgreens trying to bully people into RXM positions years ago but at least came with a sweetener in terms of higher pay and a store close to their home. The bullying part was that if you refused you went from staff to floating, but it's not really such a bad thing... there is a reason so many RXMs are young... the old ones resist as much as they can, the young ones don't know better and think it's 'a step in building a career'...

Hi,

I was just offered a RxM position from a staff position at WAG. Was told that I am not allowed to choose store. Due to promotional pay freeze, I am not sure about it.

1) should I take it? How to find out which store it might be

2) How do I ask for a raise or bonus?

3) what will happen if I am placed in a problem store and it doesn't work out?

Pros: Its a path to promotion. You have control over the techs behavior. Possibility of increased pay.
Cons: more work. Everything is blamed on you. You're screwed if the store manager doesn't like you.
You are actually giving this serious thought? But then again you do work for wag to begin with. Sounds like you are going to be made manager without a raise and at an undisclosed location. Jump on it before it gets away.

• Haha
It’s true and false
When you go from standard rph to rxm, what essentially happens is that you get terminated from your current position and get rehired at your new position. They do this so any new “promotion” get paid at the new rate, which is much lower than what was the previously offered
This is scary. How do I make sure this doesn't happen?

Just so I understand correctly, Walgreens is offering you a promotion to Rx Manager / PIC yet is unable to tell you the location of the position or the pay rate?

Am I understanding this correctly?
The DM just said that I cannot pick and choose. I did not ask about pay increase. I just said I will think about it.

I think I will email about pay so that I will have it in writing.

“Control the techs behavior” spoken like someone who has never managed techs. Good luck with that.

touche coming from someone who constantly makes his techs cry lol

it still baffles me how walgreen pharmacists are scared of the store managers...

The landscape is different now but I was given a 12k$ bump at Rite Aid for moving to PIC 6 years ago. I would just state the extra work and responsibly is not worth any less of a raise

Can you be PIC without being a manager/supervisor?

Aren't you supposed to be "hiring for the vaccine rollout" too at Walgreens? JFL at taking this job

The DM just said that I cannot pick and choose. I did not ask about pay increase. I just said I will think about it.

I think I will email about pay so that I will have it in writing.

You should email about pay AND location. The DM should give you that information as the bare minimum.

Walgreens sounds lovely right now:

We did 295 sold / 378 fill the other day with 24 total tech hrs (9 AM to 7 PM) but there were 2.5 pharmacists (LOL). Wonder what tech hours they get at Wags/CVS

Well if they can pay a 25M signon bonus to the new CEO, then there is money somewhere so ask for it.

• Love
I remember when half the stores were 24-hour but they have been steadily chipping away at that. In principle I don't think any area *needs* more than 3-4 24-hour pharmacies per million people (for rural areas, 1 in a 60 miles radius is probably the most you can hope for), but it's not the people who come in and need urgent help who are a problem, it's all the work that gets done at night to help save your badly understaffed days that matters... Yuck.

Yeah 24 hour pharmacies are a rare breed these days
Your numbers have to be extremely high

DM replied that he will call to discuss. I asked about salary, raises/bonus, location in the email.

Is that a way to avoid having it in writing?

I'm thinking of just confirming via email/ thanking him what we discuss via phone afterwards.

Discuss it over the phone and ask for what was spoken to be reflected in your offer letter. Takes notes after the call of what was discussed.