Negotiating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIII

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In considering jobs for next year I am interest to hear your experiences with negotiating with your new employees. With the big public groups it seems easy (sign on bonus, etc...), but with small groups and EMP it seems different. They state that anything I ask for comes out of the pockets of everyone else in the group. Kinda makes me feel bad to ask. I am especially interested in EMP experiences. They state that everyone at the site gets the same base pay and they don't offer sign on bonuses. There are moving expenses available and a business expense account. Has anyone been able to get more in these areas? Has anyone asked and gotten anything else from EMP? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

EMP is a big, public group. In general your ability to negotiate is not dependent on the group as much as it is on the job. If it's a desirable job they will be less willing to grant you signing bonuses and relocation expenses than they will if they are struggling to fill the spot.

In general your ability to negotiate is not dependent on the group as much as it is on the job. If it's a desirable job they will be less willing to grant you signing bonuses and relocation expenses than they will if they are struggling to fill the spot.

Agree 100%. The best jobs are not advertised, really don't need to add anyone that bad, usually are found through word of mouth, and usually offer little or no sign-on bonus and moving expenses. It's so good they have 10 people that want the spot, and it fills quick. Although super tempting to new grads, the large sign-on bonus lots of times is a warning sign, unfortunately. You shouldn't feel bad about asking if they offer a bonus or moving expenses, but don't let an initial bonus be overly tempting. You'll be at your job long after the bonus is spent.

Members don't see this ad :)
In considering jobs for next year I am interest to hear your experiences with negotiating with your new employees. With the big public groups it seems easy (sign on bonus, etc...), but with small groups and EMP it seems different. They state that anything I ask for comes out of the pockets of everyone else in the group. Kinda makes me feel bad to ask. I am especially interested in EMP experiences. They state that everyone at the site gets the same base pay and they don't offer sign on bonuses. There are moving expenses available and a business expense account. Has anyone been able to get more in these areas? Has anyone asked and gotten anything else from EMP? Thanks.

I wouldn't feel bad about asking, most likely these are people you don't know and depending on the group structure may be making a lot of money for. I also wouldn't expect small democratic groups to offer a sign-on.

Thanks for the responses. I understand that the best jobs don't need to offer such bonuses, but I would like to know what specifically anyone has been able to negotiate for with EMP.

Valid question. I have no personal experience with EMP. So take this as my $0.02.

I would call whoever you contact is and say "I'm running into some financial issues in transitioning from residency to my new job. Is there anything you can do to help me out?"

If the answer is "No." then I think you are done.

If the answer is that they can offer this or that and it's well defined then you can take it or leave it. With this I'm alluding to the fact that some of the corp groups have set programs like relocation loans that you pay back over time, etc.

If they ask "What did you have in mind?" then you can try to negotiate something.

Also, one of the things to remember when starting a new attending gig is that you probably won't have income until 6 weeks after you start your job. I ran into this secondary to moving cities, buying a new house, and having a child all between my last resident paycheck and my first attending check. So moonlight or budget appropriately to make sure you're not left relying on credits cards until you get your first month's check.