Nemours Orlando new residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steth&armbars

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wanting everyone’s opinion on the new pediatric program that nemours is opening up. I’ve interviewed there and was seriously impressed with the faculty. They all had impressive CVs and taught at academic institutions (Cinn. Children’s, Boston, etc). But with any new program of course there are risks involved like not getting the fellowship that you would like or passing the boards. Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

How many positions do they have?

Sent from my phone using SDN mobile
They have 12 positions open for PGY1. I will have an interview there so I am concerned with the same question as steth&armbars has raised. It looks like a promising program. The drawback is:
1. It's a brand new program, so maybe lack of autonomy because they are getting used to having residents around?
2. Nemours Children's Hospital is a brand new hospital opened in 2012, which is competing with 2 other children's hospitals in Orlando. And we all know Orlando is not a place with large pediatric population.

Looking forward to other's replies.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
T
2. Nemours Children's Hospital is a brand new hospital opened in 2012, which is competing with 2 other children's hospitals in Orlando. And we all know Orlando is not a place with large pediatric population.

Looking forward to other's replies.

Yeah but you get all those fun, Make-a-Wish kids coming over from the theme parks with 20 item med lists and zero records...

Reactions: 1 user
You’ve obviously never had to med rec someone if you can possibly think this is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Except a good number of those parents keep lists and carry all the meds on their persons...

It’s not really a plus or a minus... it’s part of the job.

Except a good number of those parents keep lists and carry all the meds on their persons...

It’s not really a plus or a minus... it’s part of the job.
Except when the parents don't keep the list, or keep the list but only list doses in "mL" and you have to spend 20 minutes on the phone with the pharmacist trying to figure out if the home supply is the same concentration as the one on the hospital formulary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Except when the parents don't keep the list, or keep the list but only list doses in "mL" and you have to spend 20 minutes on the phone with the pharmacist trying to figure out if the home supply is the same concentration as the one on the hospital formulary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
If they are going on a Make A Wish trip, that’s not likely the case...

If they are going on a Make A Wish trip, that’s not likely the case...

But then you have the kids that are just going on vacation, not through Make A Wish that are on a bunch of meds.

Or people who would go on vacation and end up getting diagnosed with something chronic while there, and then have to figure out logistics of getting them back home with appropriate follow-up and records.

But then you have the kids that are just going on vacation, not through Make A Wish that are on a bunch of meds.

Or people who would go on vacation and end up getting diagnosed with something chronic while there, and then have to figure out logistics of getting them back home with appropriate follow-up and records.
Those are all rare events... I’m not really sure what you are arguing.

Those are all rare events... I’m not really sure what you are arguing.

They didn't seem super rare in my residency, and I was just in close proximity to the beach, not a major theme park. It's not the end of the world, but it is a frustration with living where I was. I live in the middle of the country now and very, very rarely see people passing through that happen to get sick--most everyone lives here (they may live 5 hours away, but that's still within our catchment area).

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn't seem super rare in my residency, and I was just in close proximity to the beach, not a major theme park. It's not the end of the world, but it is a frustration with living where I was. I live in the middle of the country now and very, very rarely see people passing through that happen to get sick--most everyone lives here (they may live 5 hours away, but that's still within our catchment area).
Ok. I mean, if doing what is right to take care of sick kids who are on vacation is frustrating... so be it. There will always be parts of a job that aren’t glamorous. If that’s the argument here... yeah, it’s true.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a co-fellow in that area...she said it was a pain in the ass and was the first thing to bring up when I saw her the first time after she started. The bigger issue is not just the med rec, it's the tracking down records, the parents with certain expectations that may or may not be able to be met, difficult in trying not to reinvent the wheel for complex kids and just challenging in a way that can make you appreciate continuity of care in a different light. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it is a different set of circumstances than you'll find a lot of other places.

Ok. I mean, if doing what is right to take care of sick kids who are on vacation is frustrating... so be it. There will always be parts of a job that aren’t glamorous. If that’s the argument here... yeah, it’s true.

Sweet so they should tell all their residents to forward their complex care kids who come in with no records and 15 meds that parents don't know the dosages of to you since you seem to enjoy it so much?

And again, depending on the area of the country you're in, it's not that rare of an event.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I think most people would find that frustrating. Probably because we actually WANT to provide good care for these kids so take the time to figure out the right meds and all the stuff that's been done for them in the past (which is more than I can say for some places).

Sweet so they should tell all their residents to forward their complex care kids who come in with no records and 15 meds that parents don't know the dosages of to you since you seem to enjoy it so much?

And again, depending on the area of the country you're in, it's not that rare of an event.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I think most people would find that frustrating. Probably because we actually WANT to provide good care for these kids so take the time to figure out the right meds and all the stuff that's been done for them in the past (which is more than I can say for some places).
Perfect, then don’t go to those places. Problem solved.

Ok, back on track. Any more comments about the program and people's impressions on interview day? I'm super interested but a first year program comes with a lot of unknown that requires quite a bit of risk.

Last edited:
I'll give you a bit of input on new programs in general (as I had interviewed at a newly opening program back in the day when I was applying to residency).

If you're into new stuff, this might be right up your alley. You'll likely have the opportunity to modify curriculum/rotations almost however you want. Since you'll be the first class of residents, they'll probably be trying to solicit feedback from you. They will also actually likely respond to this feedback and change major things because they'll want to optimize your rotations and want to keep you happy (cause they know if you talk bad about the program to new applicants next year, they're gonna be dead in the water recruitment-wise). However, expect some growing pains along the way. The nurses/other staff won't be used to having residents around and used to dealing directly with attendings, so might get easily frustrated with the multiple layers of communication, the "I need to check with my attending", the new batch of people every year who aren't used to the EMR or how to get home health or what you can/can't order from pharmacy or the 100 other little things you just learn about the system you're working in. Staff may try to leapfrog you directly to the attendings since that'll be likely easier for them.

If you want to be/stay in Florida, then obviously this would be a huge plus for you. Orlando is pretty nice too and pretty central in Florida. I do also share your concern though that there are 3 pediatric hospitals in Orlando alone (not to mention the somewhat nearby All Children's Hopkins hospital in Tampa), so I'd be asking about their volume/typical number of admit numbers and compare that to other hospitals you're looking at.

The faculty are good. Nemours was notorious over the past few years for aggressively going after good faculty at other institutions (and getting them). I know for a fact that at least a couple attendings on their list of residency program faculty are great.

You won't have senior residents which is going to be kind of weird for the first year. I suppose you'd work directly with attendings but things like nights/call are going to be interesting (but could be helpful and educational if you have easily reachable attendings and can be good for autonomy, which you don't tend to get a lot of in pediatrics, especially at bigger academic centers). Theres also just something different about asking other residents about what they'd typically do or how to handle different situations, etc. vs attendings. So again, you'd have to be very comfortable with brand new situations that nobody else has come across before (and nobody else may have an immediate solution to for you).

The concerns about residents being "not needed" are very valid concerns. Most new programs try to spin this as "we don't use you as workhorses, you'll have so much time for education" or say they're "educationally focused" instead of being "work focused". However, keep in mind that, as of right now, this hospital has been functioning perfectly fine without residents and would likely continue to function perfectly fine if you all up and left in the next year. That can be a plus and a minus. On the plus side you'll probably get less to do in terms of scutwork/social work (ex. probably won't have to set up followup appointments, get prior-auths, get OSH records, etc). On the minus side, there's something psychologically different when you know you're an essential part of the system (especially overnight). Residents at many programs cover the floors overnight, go to deliveries overnight, do a lot of work in the ED overnight (although to be fair, there's a trend recently towards more and more fellow/attending support in all hospitals). This also means, unless they've been having attendings or NPs on the floor overnight, that the acuity of what they'll admit to the floor there may be much lower than what typically gets admitted to an academic peds hospital.

Just stuff to keep in mind. If you're looking to shape a new program and don't mind some hiccups in the first year or two and not being "essential" to the hospital doesn't bother you, it could be good for you. You can take a look at Hopkins All Children's program in Tampa, they just started that up in 2014 and it seems like it's still going along alright.

Reactions: 3 users
I came away very impressed with Nemours. The faculty was so nice, but I got worried they might be more research heavy than I would like to be. Not sure if I was just misinterpreting them. But I'm really conflicted about ranking this program high, due to all the issues everyone has brought up about a new residency program. The hospital did seem a little empty during my interview day. For me personally, I would really like to stay in Orlando so I've been going back and forth comparing Nemours to Arnold Palmer and Florida Hospital.

I came away very impressed with Nemours. The faculty was so nice, but I got worried they might be more research heavy than I would like to be. Not sure if I was just misinterpreting them. But I'm really conflicted about ranking this program high, due to all the issues everyone has brought up about a new residency program. The hospital did seem a little empty during my interview day. For me personally, I would really like to stay in Orlando so I've been going back and forth comparing Nemours to Arnold Palmer and Florida Hospital.

Yeah during my day the hospital was empty too but they said that were nearing max capacity. Lol the PD said we will be busy though so idk. Just wondering if it’s career suicide by going in a new residency program esp if I’m thinking of heading fellowship route ie cards, Gi , PICU

Yeah during my day the hospital was empty too but they said that were nearing max capacity. Lol the PD said we will be busy though so idk. Just wondering if it’s career suicide by going in a new residency program esp if I’m thinking of heading fellowship route ie cards, Gi , PICU

I don't think so, especially since Nemours will have some fellowships starting up within a year or two including GI. At least that is what I was told.

I also don’t think so because their faculty are from big names. They should have connections and go to bat for their residents.