Neonatology as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteobro

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this I'll delete it if so. I was just curious about how difficult it would be getting into neonatology coming from a DO school. I was looking at the fellowships in my midwestern home state and was a bit discouraged to not see one DO in any of the 4 programs in the state.

Edit: My OP was wrong someone PM'd me and helped me out, one of the four programs does have DO's that I missed and the others have taken them in the past

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are lots and lots of DO neonatologists and have been for decades. Not sure why you didn't see any in your home state, but there are plenty. There MAY be a few programs that prefer MD over DO, but most don't. Do well and you'll match into neo without any trouble.

Reactions: 3 users
There are lots and lots of DO neonatologists and have been for decades. Not sure why you didn't see any in your home state, but there are plenty. There MAY be a few programs that prefer MD over DO, but most don't. Do well and you'll match into neo without any trouble.
Great to hear thank you

I'm a DO and neo fellow. Nothing fancy on my CV. I had more interview invites than I could afford to go to. Not necessarily "top" programs but places with CT surgery, ECMO, and high research output. Neo fellowship is less competitive than gen peds. If you can match peds, you can match neonatology.

Reactions: 1 users