Neonatology fellowship and lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year med student. My wife is a pediatrician, finishing up a two year NHSC commitment. We are newlyweds. She's thinking about going into neonatology. I am concerned about how the lifestyle of a fellow will impact our marriage. She's itching for children within the next 2 years and I see being a fellow and a mom and a wife to be a tall task.

I want to help her make the right career decision, as it is I don't think she likes being a general pediatrician very much. She loves the continuity of care but feels untaxed intellectually.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pembleton said:
I'm a first year med student. My wife is a pediatrician, finishing up a two year NHSC commitment. We are newlyweds. She's thinking about going into neonatology. I am concerned about how the lifestyle of a fellow will impact our marriage. She's itching for children within the next 2 years and I see being a fellow and a mom and a wife to be a tall task.

I want to help her make the right career decision, as it is I don't think she likes being a general pediatrician very much. She loves the continuity of care but feels untaxed intellectually.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

I would estimate that about 3/4 of our neonatal fellows of both genders either start fellowship with very young children or have one (or more) babies sometime during their fellowship. This has been going on for as long as I have been in the field. When we had our son during my fellowship (side note - he was just accepted ED as an undergrad to Emory Univ.!!), I took off two days. Things have gotten better in this regard.

Only you two can decide how best to manage the needs of your family, but keep in mind that most fellowships have a very busy clinical first year with lots of night call and things get somewhat better with more research and less night call in the next two years. Most neonatologists, including me, will continue to do some in-house night call throughout their career (often 1-4 nights/month).

I personally would have hated doing a career in general pedi. I respect those folks and enjoy some aspects of the job, but it would never have been for me. If your wife feels the same way, it will be hard to find happiness in general pedi for her.

Your wife is welcome to PM me and I can put her in contact with some of our current or recent fellows who are pregnant or have just given birth (quite a large group.....).

Regards

OBP

oldbearprofessor said:
I would estimate that about 3/4 of our neonatal fellows of both genders either start fellowship with very young children or have one (or more) babies sometime during their fellowship. This has been going on for as long as I have been in the field. When we had our son during my fellowship (side note - he was just accepted ED as an undergrad to Emory Univ.!!), I took off two days. Things have gotten better in this regard.

Only you two can decide how best to manage the needs of your family, but keep in mind that most fellowships have a very busy clinical first year with lots of night call and things get somewhat better with more research and less night call in the next two years. Most neonatologists, including me, will continue to do some in-house night call throughout their career (often 1-4 nights/month).

I personally would have hated doing a career in general pedi. I respect those folks and enjoy some aspects of the job, but it would never have been for me. If your wife feels the same way, it will be hard to find happiness in general pedi for her.

Your wife is welcome to PM me and I can put her in contact with some of our current or recent fellows who are pregnant or have just given birth (quite a large group.....).

Regards

OBP

Thanks OBP for your thoughtful reply. Congrats on your son's accomplishment.

I'll pass on your note to my wife. One thing that makes her hesitant to be a mom and a fellow is the experience of one the fellows she rotated with during her residency. This woman is someone my wife respected very much and had a great influence on her. She had miscarried once and I think she attributed it to being a fellow while pregnant.

Anyhow, thanks for the note.