Neonatology in private practice?

Started by nibrocli
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thos said:
Private hospital vs. academic/teaching hospital.

Not really, actually many "private" (defined as not receiving their salary from a medical school) neonatologists work at academic/teaching hospitals.

www.pediatrix.com will help the OP understand the scope of private practice neonatology.

Regards

OBP
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oldbearprofessor said:
Not really, actually many "private" (defined as not receiving their salary from a medical school) neonatologists work at academic/teaching hospitals.

www.pediatrix.com will help the OP understand the scope of private practice neonatology.

Regards

OBP

Thanks for the correction. Obviously, I didn't understand that, maybe because all of the attendings here are research oriented. I guess I kind of half understood the difference, but was confused by the separation between a hospital and the Dept of Peds at an affiliated med school. If that's the case, do they receive their pay from the hospital itself, as opposed to the med school?
 
thos said:
Thanks for the correction. Obviously, I didn't understand that, maybe because all of the attendings here are research oriented. I guess I kind of half understood the difference, but was confused by the separation between a hospital and the Dept of Peds at an affiliated med school. If that's the case, do they receive their pay from the hospital itself, as opposed to the med school?


These lines are highly institution-specific. Also, the SOURCE of the money (patient-revenue) may come from one hand while the paycheck from the other. I think it is most common for the paycheck to come from the medical school though, not the hospital for academic faculty. Remember that even in exclusively pediatric hospitals, which usually have a medical school affiliation, many private practioners, both specialists and generalists admit and care for their patients or at least admit and obtain consults for their care.

This isn't a big deal at this point in your career though. The key is deciding on a research/education vs primary clinical track and those distinctions become clear during fellowship.

Regards

OBP