neonatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd star

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm spending a rotation doing neonatology next month... any good books or online sources to do some reading beforehand or during the month?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a newly minted 4th year student and I will soon be starting a Neonatal ICU rotation. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for doing well in this upcoming month? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical123 said:
I am a newly minted 4th year student and I will soon be starting a Neonatal ICU rotation. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for doing well in this upcoming month? Thank you! :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286442

Has everything I know about the topic

Good luck. As a 4th year they are going to be focused on your knowing the data on your baby each day and getting along well with the whole team. Exquisite insights into the relative benefit of HFOV vs conventional ventilation are unlikely to be demanded from you.

Regards and let us know how it goes.

OBP

i like lange neonatology, 5th ed. by gomella...it is a paperback that can fit into most pockets (fewer pages than a harriet lane but a bit bigger in its length and width)

it is well organized and easy to read

especially good are the first 6 chapters, namely the clinical exam, resp, fluid, and nutrition chapters

then there are small sections on specific problems, procedures, and medications

i think the book is 30-40 bucks or so

oldbearprofessor said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286442

Has everything I know about the topic

Good luck. As a 4th year they are going to be focused on your knowing the data on your baby each day and getting along well with the whole team. Exquisite insights into the relative benefit of HFOV vs conventional ventilation are unlikely to be demanded from you.

Regards and let us know how it goes.

OBP

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes in a few days! :oops:

scholes said:
i like lange neonatology, 5th ed. by gomella...it is a paperback that can fit into most pockets (fewer pages than a harriet lane but a bit bigger in its length and width)

it is well organized and easy to read

especially good are the first 6 chapters, namely the clinical exam, resp, fluid, and nutrition chapters

then there are small sections on specific problems, procedures, and medications

i think the book is 30-40 bucks or so

that plus a neofax is all you'll need. the occasional wierd stuff can always be googled. :)

--your friendly neighborhood almost done with his NICU blocks forever caveman

Well, I just finished my first week of my NICU clerkship. I actually like it, but I am overwhelmed with all of the information that I feel that I need to know! However, the residents and my clerkship director tell me not to worry about it and that I am doing very well for a 4th year student. The clerkship director is great---he goes out of his way to see if I am enjoying myself, learning a lot, and that the residents and fellows are treating me well. The NICU is not a very popular rotation amongst medical students and they only get two or three students per year at my facility, so they really aren't sure what to do with me. Therefore, my clerkship director said that his main goal for me is to have fun and learn as much as I can! :oops: It is an amazing experience. I have already seen so many things that I never knew existed! I think that this is definitely going to be a very rewarding experience!

Medical123 said:
Well, I just finished my first week of my NICU clerkship. I actually like it.....Therefore, my clerkship director said that his main goal for me is to have fun and learn as much as I can! :oops: It is an amazing experience. I have already seen so many things that I never knew existed! I think that this is definitely going to be a very rewarding experience!

Glad it's going well. I tell the residents at the start of each month that I am going to do my best to see that they have fun during the month and focus on learning. They look at me like that's inconceivable in an NICU, but sometimes I succeed. ;) Sometimes the nature of the patients, team, etc or their animosity to the NICU makes it impossible for them to have any fun. They learn regardless. :p

Be advised, based on my case series (n=1, me, over 25 yrs ago), 100% of medical students who do a sub-I or the equivalent in a level III NICU will end up as neonatologists.