Quantcast

Neonatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicubs1116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey I am current PL-2 and I just sent in my apps for a fellowship in neonatology, so far it has been about a week and have gotten minimal responses. I am just stressing about nothing, I'm I just early and programs haven't really thought about the interview season yet, or should I be worried?

kickazzz2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's only been a week. Give them another week or two to get back to you, and if you haven't heard anything, give them a call. Some programs are already setting up interviews, and others haven't even thought about applicants yet.

chicubs1116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If there is anyone else out there applying for NICU fellwoships let me know where you are at.

chicubs1116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah,

I have gotten interviews from half the programs I applied to and still a wait and see approach from the other half. I have called a couple times but they keep saying that the director is still reviewing the application. I am not sure if they just don't want to give me an interview or if they are still honestly reviewing my application. This whole process is so different from when I applied for residencies. I am happy with the interviews that I have gotten, but there is still one program I would really like to interview at which has not gotten back to me.

drenthu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u cud plz take out time to answer these q ?

1. how competitive is neo as compared to other peds subs?
does the place u do ur residency from really matters
2.wut about the working hours, are they really crazy.
3. future prospects and working hours as an attending??
thanx and gud luck with ur interviews

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

1. no probs gettin a spot if u b smart
2. crazy man. I did 80 hours this week and i'm an attending
3. gud job chances. Hours s#ck.

ur future mentor

OBP

Stefan Johansso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

1. Neonatology is great! Lots of work but it pays off nicely (in terms of work satisfaction, less financially, at least in Sweden!)
2. I think many neonatologists are kind of work-aholics... like to work simply. Il like to work flexible hours, nights, evenings, weekends, and thereby having regular week days off instead.
3. babies will always be born, don't worry about the future!

Stefan Johansson, cons neonatologist
Stockholm, Sweden

PS. You may get some more input from a partner site of SDN, 99nicu! :)

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Neonatology is great! Lots of work but it pays off nicely (in terms of work satisfaction, less financially, at least in Sweden!)
2. I think many neonatologists are kind of work-aholics... like to work simply. Il like to work flexible hours, nights, evenings, weekends, and thereby having regular week days off instead.
3. babies will always be born, don't worry about the future!

Stefan Johansson, cons neonatologist
Stockholm, Sweden

PS. You may get some more input from a partner site of SDN, 99nicu! :)

Stefan: First of all, thanks for joining this site. Please point my friend (Dr. D) in Umea and other neos in your region here as well. It would be nice to have multiple perspectives.

Second, I cannot get the link to work. Perhaps when I am not working hard on the beaches of Brazil, I will have more success.

Finally, when you have time, could you post a bit about neonatology in Sweden - the training of neos, the hours, etc. I think it would be very interesting.

Back to saving lives on the beach.

OBP

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second, I cannot get the link to work. Perhaps when I am not working hard on the beaches of Brazil, I will have more success.
Back to saving lives on the beach.

OBP

You must be working really hard on that Brazilian beach, Dr Bear. :rolleyes: The link works just fine for me!

Stefan, thanks for the link.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You must be working really hard on that Brazilian beach, Dr Bear. :rolleyes: The link works just fine for me!

Stefan, thanks for the link.

Internet access is a bit spotty here. And to think, I'm paying for the access here :mad: (As opposed to all the other expenses on this trip that are being paid for by the government of Brazil:laugh: ).

I gave a whole 25 minute talk on nutrition in neonates to a group of 400 Brazilian dietitians (and a few others from Latin America) - who says I'm not working hard?

Perhaps one just needs to have a clear view of where you are going?

And with that, time to take a nap? or a beach walk?

Regards

OBP

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Internet access is a bit spotty here. And to think, I'm paying for the access here :mad: (As opposed to all the other expenses on this trip that are being paid for by the government of Brazil:laugh: ).

I gave a whole 25 minute talk on nutrition in neonates to a group of 400 Brazilian dietitians (and a few others from Latin America) - who says I'm not working hard?

Regards

OBP
Now I would say you earned your keep if you had given the talk in Brazilian Portuguese. ;)

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I would say you earned your keep if you had given the talk in Brazilian Portuguese. ;)

Heh, heh, I gave it in English. For reasons that completely baffle me, they did simultaneous translation into Spanish, not Portugese, even though 90% of the attendees were Portugese speakers. It's true that they usually understand Spanish fairly well, but I was surprised they didn't do Portugese translation. I'm working hard enough trying to read all the slides and posters in Portugese. It's not too bad and I've spoken in Brazil often enough to be familiar with the basic differences with Spanish. It's hard to understand the spoken Portugese, but reading isn't too bad.

The overwhelming concern nutritionally around here is the increasing incidence of obesity in Latin America (esp. Brazil). But that's off-topic a bit.....

RuralMedicine

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and don't confuse me with the other "Dr. Bear", who posts/blogs endlessly about how miserable medicine and medical education are.

Regards

OBP

I'm sorry but I had to laugh.............

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and don't confuse me with the other "Dr. Bear", who posts/blogs endlessly about how miserable medicine and medical education are.

Regards

OBP

My bad, I plead ignornace of the other "dr bear."

As for those who blog endlessly about how miserable they are :rolleyes:

Stefan Johansso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally, when you have time, could you post a bit about neonatology in Sweden - the training of neos, the hours, etc. I think it would be very interesting.

Neonatology the Swedish way... hmm...
well, it takes about 10 years after medical school to qualify as a neonatologist in Sweden.
* Internship (2 years)
* Pediatrics (5 years)
* Neonatology (3 years)

Sweden is a small country and level-3 care is rather centralized to a few centers (university towns basically). So, those training in non-university settings need to work one of the three years in the regional level-3 unit.

Working hours are flexible and traditionally many... but I think the new EU regulation on working hours will result in less hours at work!

Salary; the lack of private neonatal care in Sweden means that one's not able to make a terrible lot of money. However, I think our wages are reasonable. A consultant neonatologist make about 80-110 thousand euros per year.

jhcassandra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i wanted to go to Harvard Medical school, doyou think i could get in if i have all A's in college and then apply for Med. school there?
Do they look at your Highschool scores too?