Neonatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyGenome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any fast-track programs in peds for going into neonatology? (like a 5 year combined residency and fellowship). I know there are for some other fellowships, if you know early enough what you'd want to do the fellowship in.

Also, what are some good resources to read about life style issues (hours, flexibility, schedule predictability, call, malpractice) for going into neonatology?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The fast track program above looks like it may be for the research pathway, not for a combined residency/fellowship. I could be completely wrong, but I've never heard of a fast track for neo. If there is one, OBP will probably chime in here in not too long.

A good resource for medical students or residents to discover out the basics of peds subspecialties is the aptly-named Council of Pediatric Subspecialties. Here's their link for NICU, though they have info on pretty much all the subspecialties: http://www.pedsubs.org/SubDes/Neonatology.cfm

That said, I really think your best resources when considering a career is seeking council from those already in it. Find a mentor whom you trust and ask some questions. I've found people who spend 25+ years in education studying to become a particular type of doctor are often very willing to discuss why they ended up where they did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fast-tracking in which one skips a year of the 6 year residency/fellowship sequence seems to be a bit of an elusive dream right now. I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think the ABP is making this easy to do. Others would know better. As far as career guidance for neo - well look around, there is a forum for that and you're welcome to join.

Thanks for the replies. How were the six years of residency - intense? Is it difficult to have a family? I think I would like Neonatal care, but 6 more years of training just seems like a lot right now.

How were the six years of residency - intense? Is it difficult to have a family? I think I would like Neonatal care, but 6 more years of training just seems like a lot right now.

I recently went through this, so maybe I can comment. I did not find any neo fastrack programs in the US, when I looked.

I just completed my peds residency earlier this year, and started my fellowship.

I have a family as well. There are of course challenges, and residency depends much on where you do it. I have seen peds resident in NYC doing q3 for years, whereas in other states not as bad.

But residency is intense, yet, but you get through it, just like anything else in life.

Your family has to be quite supportive in that time.

Good luck.

I recently went through this, so maybe I can comment. I did not find any neo fastrack programs in the US, when I looked.

I just completed my peds residency earlier this year, and started my fellowship.

I have a family as well. There are of course challenges, and residency depends much on where you do it. I have seen peds resident in NYC doing q3 for years, whereas in other states not as bad.

But residency is intense, yet, but you get through it, just like anything else in life.

Your family has to be quite supportive in that time.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience! This bums be out... I wish there was fast tracking for neo... Training time is really pushing me towards another specialty (EM or anesth) since I am an older student.