Neoucom Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot to say that I got this one today. It's a backup school. (6 year program that accepts about 20 people outside of their program)

The secondary has no essay - it pretty much just says "check please."

It's in the mail...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
I almost forgot to say that I got this one today. It's a backup school. (6 year program that accepts about 20 people outside of their program)

The secondary has no essay - it pretty much just says "check please."

It's in the mail...

What school is that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
North East Ohio University College of Medicine.

Rootstown Ohio.

Thanks for the info. Can I bother you for their webpage pertaining to this 6 year program?

Thanks in advance

I'm not in high school either.

NEOUCOM accepts about 20 people a year outside of their regular 6 year program. It's worth applying to if you are an ohio resident.

NEOUCOM can kiss my furry behind... that school pisses me off.

Why does it piss you off, and why is your behind furry?!?

Well, for one thing, most the students they accept out of highschool (most... not all) are totally intolerateable little brats. They would cheat all the time... and the professors treated them like they were gods. If you were in a class with NEOUCOM students and you weren't one... profs treated you like you were 2nd class students.

During o-chem labs these kids would say things like "Oh, I was thinking of doing a neurosurgery residency at Harvard or Hopkins...." :rolleyes: As if such places have even heard of NEOUCOM!

The chem department actually rearranged the o-chem curriculum to suit them!! and basically said "screw the other students... these are our special babies!" You see, NEOUCOM felt that their students didn't need to learn all of o-chem, just about 75% of it. So they had the undergrad department squeeze 75% of o-chem into the first semester o-chem course... making it a 6 credit course!! This way the NEOUCOM kids wouldn't have to take o-chem II.... but it made eveyone else's life hell.

Sorry... I'm just a little bitter... maybe because I got rejected out of highschool. It wasn't fun to be in class with them. A few of them were really really nice and really smart... but that was only a few of them... the rest were just really annoying... and the faculty that worshipped them were even more annoying.

Originally posted by relatively prime
Well, for one thing, most the students they accept out of highschool (most... not all) are totally intolerateable little brats. They would cheat all the time... and the professors treated them like they were gods. If you were in a class with NEOUCOM students and you weren't one... profs treated you like you were 2nd class students.

Where did you go to college with them? Kent?

So I guess you're not applying? ;)

I know two guys who got in there as non-trads (both in their late 20's) and loved it. They say that the youngness of the students could be annoying, but that they got great educations. One of them nailed his boards and hooked up a pretty swanky radiology job, but you're right, most of the docs that graduate from NEOUCOM end up in family practice somewhere close by.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. It never made sense to me to sign up for a medical career at 18 years old - and perhaps what you describe is one of the negative manifestations of that sort of thing.

Originally posted by Zoobaby
So I guess you're not applying? ;)

I know two guys who got in there as non-trads (both in their late 20's) and loved it. They say that the youngness of the students could be annoying, but that they got great educations. One of them nailed his boards and hooked up a pretty swanky radiology job, but you're right, most of the docs that graduate from NEOUCOM end up in family practice somewhere close by.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. It never made sense to me to sign up for a medical career at 18 years old - and perhaps what you describe is one of the negative manifestations of that sort of thing.

Yeah, I just think the whole idea of accepting people into medical school out of highschool is ridiculous. We all know that success in highschool does not always = success in college... so to take it one step further and assume success in highschool = success in medical school is just ludicrous in my opinion.

Oh well... NEOUCOM is not a bad school... I guess it's just the young students that annoyed me.

NEOUCOM is not high on my list, but they do grant an M.D. degree. I guess a fogey like me can put up with urchins for a while if it comes down to it.

This conversation is useless as far as Doctor Octopus is concerned. I can guarantee you he wont go to NEOUCOM. :cool:

They were nice, but the location is prohibitive. Everyone wants to go to Akron med center, so you may be bitter if you dont get that via lottery.

They had 21 slots for 2002.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Alien! And thanks for checking over my UMich Secondary. I submitted today. 3 down, 10 to go.

:clap: