Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2002
1,621
28
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I almost forgot to say that I got this one today. It's a backup school. (6 year program that accepts about 20 people outside of their program)

The secondary has no essay - it pretty much just says "check please."

It's in the mail...
 

Kry

cranky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2002
916
0
41
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
I almost forgot to say that I got this one today. It's a backup school. (6 year program that accepts about 20 people outside of their program)

The secondary has no essay - it pretty much just says "check please."

It's in the mail...


What school is that?
 
About the Ads

Kry

cranky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2002
916
0
41
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
North East Ohio University College of Medicine.

Rootstown Ohio.


Thanks for the info. Can I bother you for their webpage pertaining to this 6 year program?

Thanks in advance
 

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2002
1,621
28
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm not in high school either.

NEOUCOM accepts about 20 people a year outside of their regular 6 year program. It's worth applying to if you are an ohio resident.
 

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2002
2,797
3
Status (Visible)
Well, for one thing, most the students they accept out of highschool (most... not all) are totally intolerateable little brats. They would cheat all the time... and the professors treated them like they were gods. If you were in a class with NEOUCOM students and you weren't one... profs treated you like you were 2nd class students.

During o-chem labs these kids would say things like "Oh, I was thinking of doing a neurosurgery residency at Harvard or Hopkins...." :rolleyes: As if such places have even heard of NEOUCOM!

The chem department actually rearranged the o-chem curriculum to suit them!! and basically said "screw the other students... these are our special babies!" You see, NEOUCOM felt that their students didn't need to learn all of o-chem, just about 75% of it. So they had the undergrad department squeeze 75% of o-chem into the first semester o-chem course... making it a 6 credit course!! This way the NEOUCOM kids wouldn't have to take o-chem II.... but it made eveyone else's life hell.

Sorry... I'm just a little bitter... maybe because I got rejected out of highschool. It wasn't fun to be in class with them. A few of them were really really nice and really smart... but that was only a few of them... the rest were just really annoying... and the faculty that worshipped them were even more annoying.
 

WSUreds

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2001
276
0
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by relatively prime
Well, for one thing, most the students they accept out of highschool (most... not all) are totally intolerateable little brats. They would cheat all the time... and the professors treated them like they were gods. If you were in a class with NEOUCOM students and you weren't one... profs treated you like you were 2nd class students.


Where did you go to college with them? Kent?
 

Zoobaby

Monkey Wrench
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
959
1
BFE
Status (Visible)
So I guess you're not applying? ;)

I know two guys who got in there as non-trads (both in their late 20's) and loved it. They say that the youngness of the students could be annoying, but that they got great educations. One of them nailed his boards and hooked up a pretty swanky radiology job, but you're right, most of the docs that graduate from NEOUCOM end up in family practice somewhere close by.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. It never made sense to me to sign up for a medical career at 18 years old - and perhaps what you describe is one of the negative manifestations of that sort of thing.
 

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2002
2,797
3
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Zoobaby
So I guess you're not applying? ;)

I know two guys who got in there as non-trads (both in their late 20's) and loved it. They say that the youngness of the students could be annoying, but that they got great educations. One of them nailed his boards and hooked up a pretty swanky radiology job, but you're right, most of the docs that graduate from NEOUCOM end up in family practice somewhere close by.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. It never made sense to me to sign up for a medical career at 18 years old - and perhaps what you describe is one of the negative manifestations of that sort of thing.

Yeah, I just think the whole idea of accepting people into medical school out of highschool is ridiculous. We all know that success in highschool does not always = success in college... so to take it one step further and assume success in highschool = success in medical school is just ludicrous in my opinion.

Oh well... NEOUCOM is not a bad school... I guess it's just the young students that annoyed me.
 

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2002
1,621
28
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
NEOUCOM is not high on my list, but they do grant an M.D. degree. I guess a fogey like me can put up with urchins for a while if it comes down to it.
 

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
1,041
3
Cleveland
www.tauseefbarakat.cjb.net
Status (Visible)
This conversation is useless as far as Doctor Octopus is concerned. I can guarantee you he wont go to NEOUCOM. :cool:

They were nice, but the location is prohibitive. Everyone wants to go to Akron med center, so you may be bitter if you dont get that via lottery.

They had 21 slots for 2002.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.