Nephrology Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedoc1595

Reaction score
I know there is a thread for the most recent Nephrology application season, but I wanted to open this up to people who interviewed over the last few years and who are in training or recently finished. Is anyone willing to share their impression of the programs they've interviewed with and/or trained in? I'm planning on applying to Nephrology this year and would like to get an idea of what other applicants and fellows thought about specific programs. Please don't post your advice about avoiding Nephrology here. There's plenty of that to read in older threads.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed fellowship in 2018. I would look at Vanderbilt and UNC if you consider the southeast
I am actually from the southeast and am interested in continuing to train in the region. Did you get a sense that certain programs were more clinical vs research oriented when interviewing? I'm interested in private practice after fellowship, so I think I might prefer a more clinically focused program.

I am actually from the southeast and am interested in continuing to train in the region. Did you get a sense that certain programs were more clinical vs research oriented when interviewing? I'm interested in private practice after fellowship, so I think I might prefer a more clinically focused program.
I looked for what they did during second year. Several (many? most?) programs may spend 1/2 their year in research mode where 1st year is heavily weighed clinically then the 2nd years take a step back and do easier rotations plus 6 months of research time.

I did not have any interest in that. You can certainly do clinical focus/private practice after attending any of those programs, but I looked also looked at programs that had much less focus on research. 1st year and 2nd year look more similar at clinical programs. Vanderbilt I believe has the typical 6 months of research second year. I don't remember UNC.

I have a partner from Emory. You can also look at UAB, Duke, MUSC, Wake Forest. These places will give you a sense pretty quickly if they are more clinical or research oriented, but most nephrology graduates join the workforce anyway so it would not be at all unusual to go to a program like Vanderbilt for instance and later do private practice. Just depends on how you want your training to go. These are all good programs if you decided to do academic along the way.