Nephron MC FL question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMDclass2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The regulation of water and sodium levels in the nephrons is adjusted in two regions of the kidneys where water and sodium can be reabsorbed from the nephron and returned to circulation. Those regions are"

A. PCT and DCT
B. the loop of henle and the DCT
C. DCT and the collecting ducts
D. PCT and the loop of henle

In the proximal convoluted tubule, the primary events are the reabsorption of nutrients and water. There are two regions in the nephron where large amounts of sodium and water are reabsorbed. In the loop of Henle, the countercurrent multiplier system is used, which leads to the reabsorption of salts (sodium and chloride) and water. In the distal convoluted tubule, the hormone aldosterone influences the reabsorption of salts and water followed by osmosis.

I answered C, because that is the area where ADH and aldosterone act to adjust the sodium and water levels via homoeostatic needs. I understand that a lot of reabsorption occurs at the LOH, however, the question stem states "adjusted in two regions", thus implying endocrine regulation.

Is this a poor question, or am I completely misunderstanding the topic or what the question stem is asking?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also thought of C because of the "regulation" part in the question stem and used the same thinking about hormones like you did.