nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd star

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a couple interviews coming up and i don't think i've ever had an actual interview like this in my life.... i'm so nervous and i don't know how to relax a little bit so i can show the schools who i really am.

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually there's not much you can do to relax. I've heard about breathing exercises and such. But nothing worked for me. The good thing is most of the interviews are very laid back.

Once you start the interview you'll be nervous, but the weird thing is, you'll probably find yourself relaxing after a few minutes and going with the flow. Halfway through the interview you might be surprised to find yourself fairly relaxed, especially if the interview is going well. It's okay to be nervous, but also be confident in yourself and your application.

If there are weaknesses in your application, make sure you are ready to explain them if you're asked.

And if anything, relax afterwards. I've seen people getting interviewed at OSU, even after they were over, man they were would tight. I felt like telling 'em "you can breath, its over". :D

Good luck!

i know i have nothing to be nervous about, but i guess that's just part of human nature....

thanks so much for your words of wisdom :)

hey jd star,
i understand the nervous feelings you're having right now. i know i felt the same way last year! the best thing i can tell you is to show how interested you are, think of questions you have beforehand and don't be afraid to admit that you don't know everything! if they ask you a question you don't understand or have a hard time answering, ask for clarification or just tell them you aren't sure. think about this: how frightening is a doc that can't admit they are wrong or are unsure?! it's part of the learning process. admitting that you don't know everything is the first step in learning all the crazy stuff you'll be learning over the next few years! also, let them in on some personal stuff about you. what makes you stand out? are you a skydiver or collect something interesting? make them remember you above all else! have fun and best of luck!