Interviews and nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahawke100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy app season everyone!

So interviews are a ways off, but can anyone chime in regarding how much it hurts to have nerves show through a bit during interviews? I've done some mock interviews, and while I field questions well, I get pretty nervous--even in a more relaxed mock interview setting. I start talking really fast and get some redness in my face/neck.

It seems stupid to get so worked up. I'm trying to relax and get more comfortable with the process, but it's hard! Haha

Anyone else get nervous, or overcome their nerves? Will the nerves hold me back a lot during an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

you're fine. everyone gets nervous.

Reactions: 1 user
Nerves are perfectly fine! This is what has helped me to deal with nerves:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nerves are perfectly fine! This is what has helped me to deal with nerves:

Thanks for sharing this! Her story at the end is pretty powerful. Guess I'm gonna have to start practicing my 2 minute power poses. :)

Everybody does get nervous, but we still expect you to display grace under pressure. it's OK to flush bright red (I've seen this) but don't start crying. And if you start babbling like an idiot, I'll reject you before you leave the room.

So interviews are a ways off, but can anyone chime in regarding how much it hurts to have nerves show through a bit during interviews? I've done some mock interviews, and while I field questions well, I get pretty nervous--even in a more relaxed mock interview setting. I start talking really fast and get some redness in my face/neck.

It seems stupid to get so worked up. I'm trying to relax and get more comfortable with the process, but it's hard! Haha

Anyone else get nervous, or overcome their nerves? Will the nerves hold me back a lot during an interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Everybody does get nervous, but we still expect you to display grace under pressure. it's OK to flush bright red (I've seen this) but don't start crying. And if you start babbling like an idiot, I'll reject you before you leave the room.

Where is the line between "babbling like an idiot" and "fully explaining your answer"? This is one thing I'm worried about.

Does what you're saying make sense? Flow? It should be a conversational reply. Don't add in too much BS filler.

A casual conversational reply eh? I can do that

Every interview will be different, but most of mine were pretty casual with easy going conversation. I got grilled at AZCOM, and she asked religious questions etc, but I can tell she was doing it on purpose so it didn't bother me at all. You'll have to jump through hoops for some. SOMA has a group project with people that watch you during it plus MMIs. MU-COM has MMI and so does Western. I think MMIs are a complete waste of time and completely dependent on how well the actor actually does at their job with responding to your input. Half of my MMIs was just some kid/student who didn't want to be there barely putting in any effort at all, leaving me to constantly hold up the topic. Just be yourself. I felt I was most nervous prior to the interview, but once it started, I was fine.

This describes me pretty well. I just had two separate job interviews ( i know they arent like med school interviews but its better than nothing) for a medical scribe job. The first one was with 2 different ladies.

Today I had another panel interview with 4 different people. Of course I was a little nervous and apprehensive, but once I got in there I was fairly comfortable. If anything, I kind of feel like 2 of the people in the panel itself were awkward. Have you experienced this before, where the actual interviewers on a panel were awkward?

Oh absolutely. I've worked with around 50+ physicians as a scribe for a few years now. You'll interview with academic physicians all the time and honestly, most of them are pretty odd. . . I don't say it to be rude, but they're just very different than clinical/private physicians. Awkward is one of the terms I'd use.

There were some questions they asked and I was like ok I've been talking for a while now about this 1 question and I'm pretty sure I've answered it, and then silence. ????????????

Then she would go on. But the other 2 out of the 4 man panel were pretty on point so there is that.

I always used to react like this when I spoke in front of people in undergrad. Some advice that may help you as it did me is to continually remind yourself to live in the moment. I felt like what drove my nerves was just the thought of screwing up during interviews, and eventually I would overthink such a simple task BEFORE it even presented itself. Take one question at a time and keep your mind focused on the present -- this mentality helped me substantially, oddly enough.

Also, I would say the manner in which you answer your first question is the most important. I have had both awesome interviews and god-awful ones, and they both followed this philosophy -- if I provided a clear and concise answer to the first question in a confident manner then I was set for the rest of the interview. And conversely, a cowardly/broken first response led to a miserable interview day <-- luckily that school was far from my top choice.

So i.e., keep your mind in the now and nail the first question with audible and nonverbal confidence.

And one last thing, the 'nonverbal' confidence I'm talking about kind of relates to the video above. Sitting up straight (but relaxed), making eye contact and talking with my hands all help me maintain confidence through interviews.

I was also VERY nervous about the interview (despite having gone on many job interviews in the past). My advice is to practice mock interviews as much as possible. Have counselors/friends/family grill you on a bunch of different questions and ones you think they might ask. Think of basic ethical questions they might ask (hunt around online for examples). Think of your experiences and what certain incidents or stories can display leadership, making tough choices, team player attitude, good judgement, etc. Like "there was a problem, and then I did this." I actually paid a company to help me with my application, and as part of the deal they gave me 2 mock interviews via Skype (I only ended up "using" one because I got into the school I wanted right away and I didn't go to any other interview). That was very helpful for me. I was still nervous on interview day but I tried to use it to my advantage. I tend to smile a lot and even laugh nervously. Luckily the interview was pretty low key and they laughed along with me (at me?!). I don't know. I got in.

Everyone is a little nervous. You will see that on interview day. Know your applications, essays and qualities and just be yourself. You CAN over-prepare and overthink things. Don't be one of those folks on interview day who are sitting there studying their application and notes on every little break all day (yes, I saw people doing that and they looked ridiculous).

Whatever you do, if this is a weakness, make sure you realize this is a weak point universally. Being graceful in conversation and debate is one of the most prized assets for any career choice, and it can mean the difference between getting jobs, getting raises, forging new relationships, convincing others of your viewpoints, and more. People that get into medical school are generally smart and motivated to learn - make this something you plan on excelling at and your life will get a lot easier both personally and professionally. I totally sympathize with people that break down during interviews, but performance under stress might as well be an untold requirement of medicine in particular.

Reactions: 1 users
I always used to react like this when I spoke in front of people in undergrad. Some advice that may help you as it did me is to continually remind yourself to live in the moment. I felt like what drove my nerves was just the thought of screwing up during interviews, and eventually I would overthink such a simple task BEFORE it even presented itself. Take one question at a time and keep your mind focused on the present -- this mentality helped me substantially, oddly enough.

Also, I would say the manner in which you answer your first question is the most important. I have had both awesome interviews and god-awful ones, and they both followed this philosophy -- if I provided a clear and concise answer to the first question in a confident manner then I was set for the rest of the interview. And conversely, a cowardly/broken first response led to a miserable interview day <-- luckily that school was far from my top choice.

So i.e., keep your mind in the now and nail the first question with audible and nonverbal confidence.

And one last thing, the 'nonverbal' confidence I'm talking about kind of relates to the video above. Sitting up straight (but relaxed), making eye contact and talking with my hands all help me maintain confidence through interviews.

This is good. Oddly enough, I enjoy public speaking to a certain degree, but the difference between an interview and presenting is my perception of who's in control.

I feel somewhat cornered during interviews and my mind races from worries of screwing up to worries of what the unknown questions to come might be. I'll definitely work on keeping my mind focused on the present question and nailing the first question to set myself up for staying relaxed and confident for the rest of the interview.

I think that'll help a lot.