Nervous about being older

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiernin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MS1 year starts in a few weeks and I've realized that the thing I'm most nervous about is the fact that I'm going to be one of the older students in the class. At age 27, I know I won't be the oldest person, but I come from 5 years in a business environment where I was the very YOUNGEST person on staff and that's what I've gotten comfortable with. I was working with people who had decades of experience on me, and now I'm going to be thrown into a different environment where the roles are virtually reversed.

I'm not sure exactly what, if anything, I'm going to have in common with people who just graduated from college. I know for sure I don't have much in common with who I was at age 22, and my perspective and interests have changed dramatically since then. I used to close the bars several nights a week. Now I'm looking to buy a house and get married. According to my school's stats, I'll be in the oldest 10% of the class. Is anyone else feeling nervous about this type of thing or is it just me?

Members don't see this ad.

kiernin said:
My MS1 year starts in a few weeks and I've realized that the thing I'm most nervous about is the fact that I'm going to be one of the older students in the class. At age 27, I know I won't be the oldest person, but I come from 5 years in a business environment where I was the very YOUNGEST person on staff and that's what I've gotten comfortable with. I was working with people who had decades of experience on me, and now I'm going to be thrown into a different environment where the roles are virtually reversed.

I'm not sure exactly what, if anything, I'm going to have in common with people who just graduated from college. I know for sure I don't have much in common with who I was at age 22, and my perspective and interests have changed dramatically since then. I used to close the bars several nights a week. Now I'm looking to buy a house and get married. According to my school's stats, I'll be in the oldest 10% of the class. Is anyone else feeling nervous about this type of thing or is it just me?
Average age of an incoming M1 is almost 25. I don't think you will be having any problems. I'm 30, and there are lots of 30 something's in my class. Some 40's and 50's too. ood luck and don't worry about it.

hello kiernin,

your trepidation is understandable, but...

#1) don't worry about it!
you might not become best friends with some of the more emotionally... erm... "younger" people in your class but remember your presence and attitude should be a positive factor in your med school class.
at least, it should make folks more chill and mature in a professional setting.
i mean, to that end, if they, i.e. the young-ins, are doing something NOT cool (like being unfriendly for no reason = the gunner; or emotionally bereft = stuck up spoon-in-mouth kid; or the annoying = the chronic whinner), i'd say hold them to it!
though you'll be tactful i imagine, don't let that crap fly in your presence!!
on the flip side, you may be surprised at younger students' poise, calmness and agreeableness. give 'em the benefit of the doubt.
something i've also found is that recently graduated undergrads do bring a smartness and vitality to bookwork that is often admirable. indeed, they may bring some necessary academic intensity to the business of studying (for at least the first 2 years, if not beyond :) )

2) of course, chat with those older/nontraditional students in your school. knowing that they might be going thru the same thing can be a major supporting factor. there are bound to be folks just like you in your year, as well as in the years above you. seek them out. it's nice to get their perspective as well.

3) remember, your maturity and life experiences will come into lots of good use come 3rd and 4th years: the most important years, in terms of becoming a competent thinker, a worthy communicator as well as a medically skilled doc... these years and the attributes needed during this time are also the most important in terms of residency selection and in your real career.
DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF THIS!
your age = asset for your patients and their families and in communicating with other docs/nurses/staff.

good luck!
and best wishes,
from a "former" returning student myself
(now nicely ensconsed in the 3rd year)

Members don't see this ad :)
greets fr. nyc said:
3) remember, your maturity and life experiences will come into lots of good use come 3rd and 4th years

Any residency programs love it when you have 'real' work experience.

So, you're in the top 10% of your class in SOMETHING already. I wouldn't worry about it. I started at 27 too and haven't noticed the age difference too much. Of course, I look and act like I'm a lot youger so maybe that's why... :D

You can go to the non-trad forum to hear from other "older" students :)

In fact, I'm going to move this thread there so you can get more feedback

By the time I start (if everything works out) I'll be 32. I'm really comfortable with that. I know I've got a lot of good life experience that will help me in school. I know from recent MCAT prep that it's not hard to get back into the books. I know myself so much better that I find it easier to study and easier to relate to my classmates, even when they're younger.

I think you'll see it as an advantage once you get started.

MoosePilot said:
By the time I start (if everything works out) I'll be 32. I'm really comfortable with that. I know I've got a lot of good life experience that will help me in school. I know from recent MCAT prep that it's not hard to get back into the books. I know myself so much better that I find it easier to study and easier to relate to my classmates, even when they're younger.

I think you'll see it as an advantage once you get started.

: ) definitely. i'll take you up on that point.

this is good stuff to go to sleep on i think. and nite.

MoosePilot said:
By the time I start (if everything works out) I'll be 32. I'm really comfortable with that. I know I've got a lot of good life experience that will help me in school.

Same here, Moose. I actually will turn 32 a few weeks after I start my MS1. I go back and forth on my "nervousness" about being "old." But, ya know...I always related well to my profs as a traditional undergrad and grad student. I've always related well to my students as a teacher. I think I will be ok as long as I don't let my own neuroses destroy me! It will just take some time to settle into the groove.

You just never know when that life experience will come in handy! I had my son (4 1/2) in the ER today--long story, not important--and was talking to the doctor. She & I were discussing the problems of reimbursement, insurance, Medicaid, etc. Anyway, she starts to examine my son and realizes he's burning up. The nurse had not yet taken his temperature. She finished her exam & went to see another patient while they took son's temp. Doc comes back in and we say "It was 102."

Then she tells me this story about her early days as a pediatrician. She didn't have children yet and moms would come in with their kids and say the child had a fever. So she asked how high and mom would say "I didn't take his temp, I know he has a fever." And she would just be dumbfounded how these women could possibly *not* take the temp. Well, not 20 minutes earlier, in the waiting room...I touched son's chest and looked at my mother-in-law and said, "I'd say it's at least 101." The "mom thermometer" strikes again!

Just think..if a young student had the benefit of an older colleague with different experiences...they might relate to their patients a little better. Maybe instead of getting frustrated with mom who didn't take a temp, he/she would be a little more trusting of that maternal instinct. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples we could come up with if we took some time to try!

I think the wider range of student ages can only help all of us. Everyone has a variety of experiences to share and I'm sure those young'uns can remind us what it's like to cut loose and relax once in a while!

;-)
Willow

Gosh 29 is hardly older in my eyes...I am 38 already started this past Monday and love it! do not worry about your age have fun and get to know your class. I actually get along much better with younger folks go figure!

kiernin said:
At age 27, I know I won't be the oldest person, but I come from 5 years in a business environment where I was the very YOUNGEST person on staff and that's what I've gotten comfortable with. I was working with people who had decades of experience on me, and now I'm going to be thrown into a different environment where the roles are virtually reversed.

I know how you feel. I am 25 now but I will be darn near 27 when I matriculate. I also was/am the youngest person in the companies I've worked for. I am 25 and I have my own office at my current company. Many people who have been here for 10+ years and are 30 something still sit in cubes.

I'm sure you will be fine as will I. We will all find our "groups" within our large classes. Of course there will be the young single group that goes out and parties a lot, but there will also be the "gunners", the parents, the career changers, etc.

when was 27 old? I, too, am 27 and haven't really noticed much of a difference. I was also nervous about this but 99% of ppl if not 100% couldn't tell I was older. Having the asian gene helps in that dept, but either way, I think most of it is probably in your head. I appreciate the "younger" students cuz I think they'll keep me young. Besides, I dunno about you, but I've never felt younger than now.

b

I'll be 30 right before school starts. Problem is I look 22 so no one's gonna listen to any of my wisdom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nervous? Nervous is for kids(just kidding).

The great thing about being older is that, due to our vast life experience (some more vast than others :D), we can carry ourselves with confidence. I go to school with so many young gunners, I began to feel inadequate in the categories of grades, volunteering, how many hours I take, etc., but by communicating with other non-trads (like here), I know that I'm not totally alone, and that we're a pretty strong and numerous force in the medical professions. For every tenth of a grade point lower than the 22 year old beside me, I have that much more experience, and most of the time, confidence.

Don't get me wrong, I get along great with my classmates, but there is a vibe of immaturity sometimes, and at those times, I'm thankful for the years behind me. I'm extremely proud of what I've done, where I've been, what I've learned, and especially, where I'm going. You can't study that.

i started med school at 31. now im 33 and just started 3rd year. no problems here. youll be fine. good luck.

Kiernin,

I know what you mean. I'll be going from an environment where I'm one of the youngest to being one of the oldest. First time in my life this role reversal has happened. People tell me I look like I'm still in college so I'm not going to advertise my age. I'm hoping to blend in seamlessly.

3 words: "Hot younger women"

or "Hot younger men"

take your pick, at least one of those phrases should apply.

ken37 said:
3 words: "Hot younger women"

or "Hot younger men"

take your pick, at least one of those phrases should apply.

This is great until one of them "Sirs" me...I am in the south :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't think this will be a big deal at all. I just finished taking my pre-reqs with a bunch of 19-year-olds. I really did not feel old compared to them (I was 28 at the time. 29 now).

UNTlabrat said:
Don't get me wrong, I get along great with my classmates, but there is a vibe of immaturity sometimes, and at those times, I'm thankful for the years behind me. I'm extremely proud of what I've done, where I've been, what I've learned, and especially, where I'm going. You can't study that.

I noticed this when I took my MCAT. There were a bunch of "kids" there complaining about missing a concert the night before because they had to come take the test. (I took it in August, so maybe I got in with the slackers..LOL). I just sat there thinking "my kid kept me up until 1:30 and I had to get up at 6:00--scr** your concert!"

I figure if I survived being the teacher in a class full of students who were 10 or 20 years older than me, I can handle being one of the older members of the class.

Willow

I will be two days short of birthday number (ick) 40 when I graduate in May.
I would have to say the age difference hasn't been that big of a deal. Yes, I haven't attended as many parties as I would have had I been younger, I have different priorities than many of my fellow classmates but that hasn't gotten in the way of making some very good friends in my time in med school.
I will say that when I went back to undergraduate school to finish up courses to get into med school I felt VERY old in the freshman biology class with all those 18 year olds.

I remeber how nervous I was when I started undergrad at age 32. But everyone was great. I guess people figure if you are older, you are wiser. Lots of the students were always coming to talk to me and ask my advice all the time.

The only time I felt badly was.... One day I was talking with some people and one of the girls asked me how old I was. I told her and her eyes got wide and she said, "I had no idea you were that old. My mother is almost the same age as you!!" :rolleyes:

OUCH, Amy! That is harsh! Now try it in reverse when your students find out how old you are and say "Oh...my daughter is the same age as you!!" LOL

How funny...we probably spent our teens trying to be "different" and now all we want to do is fit in! The irony is inescapable.

Willow--non-conformist, dammit...really, I am!

AGE, experience, more focused, wiser even... these are usually the upper hand factoids that on the side of older students.... when they go back to school... but just remember that everyone has the same potential... potential to do well... but also the potential to do bad and fail... so when it comes down to it... its up to you... not your age....GOOD LUCK with school!!!!!!

Age, experience, focus -- those are the positives. Then there's the brain cell loss! I have to fight constantly to keep all the random stuff that's thrown at me in my head. :rolleyes:

But yes, there is the... age, experience and focus. ;)

Plusses about being non-trad:

How about the ability to juggle 10 things at once? That's something that comes with age, experience, and being a parent...

Calmer reactions to stressing events

Being used to a 40+ work week already

Being able to put things in the right context

For those of us who have families- Pleasant distractions from stresses of school, reminders of what is REALLY important in life, the wonderful support of your kids and spouse/SO

Age is relative to the individual. I have known people in their late twenties with one foot in the grave. Last night I was talking to a lady that I would have guessed was not older than 40--she is 73. You are as young or old as you permit yourself to feel.

When I started school at 32, I was really worried about the immaturity that I expected to see in my classmates. Now that I'm well into my fourth year and know most of my class pretty well, I can tell you I shouldn't have worried at all.

I've been incredibly impressed with the vast majority of people in my class, regardless of their ages. Medical school is pretty tough and serves, in most cases, as a pretty effective filter. I don't think I could ask for a group of more mature, intelligent, well-balanced people than I found in my class. Truly great folks.

Maybe my little "off-shore" school is different, but I doubt it. You're justified in your concerns, but give your classmates the benefit of the doubt and assume that they'll be mature. I think you'll be proved right. :)

Take care,
Jeff
UTMB
Galvston, Texas