Nervous about Getting Good Recommendations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianThunder88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys -

I'm a sophomore right now, and in pretty good academic standing (~3.8 GPA). And I'm already starting to prepare for the MCAT, so I'm hoping I should get above a 30.

However, I'm really nervous that I won't get good recommendation letters. I haven't really taken the initiative to get to really know any professors. I hear a lot of people on these forums confident that they have strong recs.. how do you guys do this??

If anything, I feel that's going to be my Achilles heel in this whole process.

Thanks for the advice guys

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let it be then. Get to know your professors, even in big lecture classes.

Do research... then get a letter from that. Any classes smaller than 20 are definately fair game. So schedule a seminar or two that interest you. Then get to know the prof and their research.

Stop worrying, start thinking. Play your cards right. You still have time.

You can always get LORs from your ECs. I wasn't a science major, so while I will probably get a couple from a favorite professor and my department head, my best ones will probably come from my boss at the hospital where I am volunteering and my boss from my job as a CNA.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about if you take a year off? Would any professor remember you?

Getting to know the people who write your letters is vital. Actively search out opportunities to get to know them or to talk to them without being a brown-noser. Also, remember that it is in a schools best interest to have students from thier institution matriculate to medical school: looks good for them and you. I gave each of my letter writers a portfolio which included transcripts, CV, and MCAT scores. Give them as much information about you as they can so they can write detailed letters. Good luck.

Getting to know the people who write your letters is vital. Actively search out opportunities to get to know them or to talk to them without being a brown-noser. Also, remember that it is in a schools best interest to have students from thier institution matriculate to medical school: looks good for them and you. I gave each of my letter writers a portfolio which included transcripts, CV, and MCAT scores. Give them as much information about you as they can so they can write detailed letters. Good luck.

Great advice. I recommend you read what he just said 5 more times.

All I can add is when you give them your information, make sure to explain the process to them. That will give them an idea of the timeline that you want to keep. And show them how to fill it out (if theres an eval sheet to go with) and how to submit (if online). Nothing is more frustrating than having your application sit around unread at a med school waiting for another LOR to get sent in.:)