Nervous about getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmccorm4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I plan on applying this cycle for pharmacy school. However, I am nervous about getting accepted. I have a 3.12 gpa and scored a 76 PCAT (with 90s in both chem and bio). I have little volunteering and shadowing experience. I'm from Georgia so I plan on applying to UGA, Mercer, and PCOM as well as East Tennessee State, Belmont, and Howard. Could someone give their honest opinion about my chances of getting in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't we all?

From what I heard, UGA guarantees at least an interview to those with GPA*25 + PCAT > 160. Since your total comes to a 154, you have a good chance of getting an interview. For PCOM, I think your stats are average/above average since their average GPA seems to be 3.14. Not familiar with other schools.

I think you should be able to get in somewhere if you're applying to 6 schools, but I would apply to a few more (2 or so) to be safe/give you a few more choices.

Burn your application immediately.

On a serious note, you'll get into one of those schools with your stats. Just don't go full ****** in the interviews and you should be okay.

He has a good point. The interview can provide you a great opportunity to make up in areas in which you feel weren't as strong than you had hoped in your original application. There are several great feeds on here that helps with interview questions. Definitely study up!

Hello!

I plan on applying this cycle for pharmacy school. However, I am nervous about getting accepted. I have a 3.12 gpa and scored a 76 PCAT (with 90s in both chem and bio). I have little volunteering and shadowing experience. I'm from Georgia so I plan on applying to UGA, Mercer, and PCOM as well as East Tennessee State, Belmont, and Howard. Could someone give their honest opinion about my chances of getting in?

Thanks!

You're in. End of story. The 90's in your chemistry/biology is a strong positive. Any GPA > 3.0 is a welcome sight for adcoms. Your welcome in advance because I can say with certainty you will get into more than half those schools.

Nowadays, here's how the game of pharmacy works:

- Obtaining pharmacy school admissions is pretty dang easy.
- Obtaining actual pharmacy employment is pretty hard nowadays, but will be a LOT harder by the time you graduate.
- Upon obtaining your job . . . avoiding the pink slip, making pharmacy a stable career while watching your back for hungry new graduates, work politics, and advanced technology that will take away jobs makes the immediate prior bulletpoint look easy. And trust me, it's far from easy these days . . .

Before you choose to commit next year, I would HIGHLY suggest upping that volunteering/shadowing experience not for your PharmCAS application - but for your own personal experience. Talk to pharmacists, see what their job entails, get their opinions on the future of the field, etc. You do NOT want to be in your P2/P3 year to figure out that this ain't your bread and butter. DO attend as many interviews as possible though; it definitely gives you formal experience talking to people you've met for the first time. Good luck, and keep us all posted!