Nervous about Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.MG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with NYCPM coming up soon, and I really want to hit it out of the park. Does anyone have any good advice for the interview?

Also, does anyone know what percentage of people are accepted into the program of those who get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Review the interview feedback page and answer the questions beforehand. Think of some questions to ask your interviewers (student and the doc). Relax.
No one knows what percentage of students are accepted post-interview. That info isn't given out by the schools.

I have an interview with NYCPM coming up soon, and I really want to hit it out of the park. Does anyone have any good advice for the interview?

Also, does anyone know what percentage of people are accepted into the program of those who get an interview?
Your stats please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats please?
It's not cool asking this to so many people. There are plenty of stats in the "what are my chances" thread as well as the, "acceptance" thread. Most people post stats if they want to. If they don't it is better to ask in a private message.

Asking this question also seems to change the subject of the topic.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats please?
Advice. Stop worrying about others stats. I see you asking everybody and their mother. If you psych yourself out about what others are doing you'll lose focus on yourself. Focus on finishing out your semester with solid grades, and studying hard for the MCAT. You will be fine if you focus on yourself. There are plenty of people who have shared stats in this forum if you are super curious

Hahaha it's always the people who are irrelevant that are hot tempered. As for Mr. MG he has a very respectable question I would like HIM to answer if that is ok..of course.

Hahaha it's always the people who are irrelevant that are hot tempered. As for Mr. MG he has a very respectable question I would like HIM to answer if that is ok..of course.

I think you took their response the wrong way. SLCpod and Sweatshirt are just trying to HELP you realize that you're better off reading old threads than asking for stats individually. You need to understand that every applicant is different, and that each year the application pool gets even more competitive.

Rather than focusing on what others have, create a solid plan that will enhance your uniqueness...and find a way to standout ;)

I think you took their response the wrong way. SLCpod and Sweatshirt are just trying to HELP you realize that you're better off reading old threads than asking for stats individually. You need to understand that every applicant is different, and that each year the application pool gets even more competitive.

Rather than focusing on what others have, create a solid plan that will enhance your uniqueness...and find a way to standout ;)
Spoken like a true gentleman...well said.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hahaha it's always the people who are irrelevant that are hot tempered.
A number of your posts on this forum have been overreactive, profane, and impolite.

SLCpod is an actual podiatry student taking time out of his day to give you advice on becoming one yourself and you disrespect him simply because you cannot handle constructive criticism.

Here's the best piece of advice you'll get: The world is not all about statistics. An ill-mannered attitude towards your peers or your superiors will show through and quickly blemish even the most unblemished of statistics, the kind of which you don't even have the luxury of beginning this journey with. A 3.0 GPA with a 500 MCAT does not a competitive applicant make. The students who got it worst in the residency shortage and who may never find a residency at all were not necessarily the ones that had the worst stats, but the ones that had the worst personalities and attitudes. And anyway, this is a small field. The odds of someone in a class ahead of you like SLCpod (or a number of other people on this forum if you don't apply this cycle) crossing paths with you in the real world aren't astronomical. The impressions that you leave now might directly affect your chances of landing the residency or job that you want in the future.

Take it from everyone's favorite dead white dude, Henry James, "Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind."

Reactions: 2 users
A number of your posts on this forum have been overreactive, profane, and impolite. "

To incite that I have been using impolite, profane language is quite untruthful. Overreactive is this nonsensical post you have just posted. If you go back to what I posted all I said was "could you please post your stats". If this statement comes off as "profane", "overreacting", and "impolite" then God help you man.

To incite that I have been using impolite, profane language is quite untruthful. Overreactive is this nonsensical post you have just posted. If you go back to what I posted all I said was "could you please post your stats". If this statement comes off as "profane", "overreacting", and "impolite" then God help you man.

Like this post from this thread?

"Dude he said if I apply early like the first ****ing day I have a chance of getting in. He didn't say I was guaranteed any school of my choosing at anytime I applied. You need to relax your anus and take it to another thread."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacpmas-2015-2016-cycle.1154114/page-30#post-17359194

"Dude he said if I apply early like the first ****ing day I have a chance of getting in. He didn't say I was guaranteed any school of my choosing at anytime I applied. You need to relax your anus and take it to another thread."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacpmas-2015-2016-cycle.1154114/page-30#post-17359194

I seem to recall this one, as it was directed at me. Coming into a situation looking for advice and continually resorting to defensiveness has done you no favors. You're rebutting to every person that has stayed active on this thread for the last several months. Many of us are accepted and exactly where we need to be but we keep coming back to help those that are willing to listen. You don't seem to be one of those people and you've been disruptive ever since you spawned on here. If you hope to have a career in medicine you better be able to accept you will be wrong day after day, and you will be given criticism by your superiors day after day. But I'm sure I'm out of line just like the other 10 people that have told you that you need to change your attitude. Like the great @bobtheweazel I'll throw a quote at you. "Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash." -Top Gun. But seriously just take it easy on here, cowboy.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys can we please get back to this thread please.

Members don't see this ad :)

Know your application inside and out.

If you have any low grades/test scores/GPA, be prepared to explain it thoroughly. During my interview, it felt like the basis was how I will succeed their super rigorous, hardcore, pain in the butt program that no other school will offer, if I have such low scores. Not sure about other applicants, but the interview felt more like an interrogation than an interview, but I hope it will be better for you (left a bitter taste in my mouth..).

As Cardsfan92 stated, look in the interview feedback section for NYCPM and look over the questions they asked students. Also, do a little research about the school, so you know what they offer and whatnot.

There will also be an interview with a student, but that one is more informal/relaxed.

If you have any low grades/test scores/GPA, be prepared to explain it thoroughly. During my interview, it felt like the basis was how I will succeed their super rigorous, hardcore, pain in the butt program that no other school will offer, if I have such low scores. Not sure about other applicants, but the interview felt more like an interrogation than an interview, but I hope it will be better for you (left a bitter taste in my mouth..).

As Cardsfan92 stated, look in the interview feedback section for NYCPM and look over the questions they asked students. Also, do a little research about the school, so you know what they offer and whatnot.

There will also be an interview with a student, but that one is more informal/relaxed.
Well said.

When you wrote you personal statement did you mention your said "low stats". I'm just curious because I don't know if I should including an explanation in my personal statement.

Well said.

When you wrote you personal statement did you mention your said "low stats". I'm just curious because I don't know if I should including an explanation in my personal statement.

A personal statement is a page of what makes you so great. Don't talk about your low stats or try to explain them.

A number of your posts on this forum have been overreactive, profane, and impolite.

SLCpod is an actual podiatry student taking time out of his day to give you advice on becoming one yourself and you disrespect him simply because you cannot handle constructive criticism.

Here's the best piece of advice you'll get: The world is not all about statistics. An ill-mannered attitude towards your peers or your superiors will show through and quickly blemish even the most unblemished of statistics, the kind of which you don't even have the luxury of beginning this journey with. A 3.0 GPA with a 500 MCAT does not a competitive applicant make. The students who got it worst in the residency shortage and who may never find a residency at all were not necessarily the ones that had the worst stats, but the ones that had the worst personalities and attitudes. And anyway, this is a small field. The odds of someone in a class ahead of you like SLCpod (or a number of other people on this forum if you don't apply this cycle) crossing paths with you in the real world aren't astronomical. The impressions that you leave now might directly affect your chances of landing the residency or job that you want in the future.

Take it from everyone's favorite dead white dude, Henry James, "Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind."

I seem to recall this one, as it was directed at me. Coming into a situation looking for advice and continually resorting to defensiveness has done you no favors. You're rebutting to every person that has stayed active on this thread for the last several months. Many of us are accepted and exactly where we need to be but we keep coming back to help those that are willing to listen. You don't seem to be one of those people and you've been disruptive ever since you spawned on here. If you hope to have a career in medicine you better be able to accept you will be wrong day after day, and you will be given criticism by your superiors day after day. But I'm sure I'm out of line just like the other 10 people that have told you that you need to change your attitude. Like the great @bobtheweazel I'll throw a quote at you. "Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash." -Top Gun. But seriously just take it easy on here, cowboy.

Guys can we please get back to this thread please.

Good comments guys. We have some cute family feuds on SDN.

Esamoham, you are the one that takes threads off subject. You did it with your most recent post. You asked how to write your personal statement when the topic is how to prepare for a specific interview. It's not a bad thing to ask questions but you might consider creating a new thread or looking for one that already answers your questions. In fact, it might be a good idea to start a new thread about personal statements. I know that some people are getting ready for the next cycle and it might be good to start a fresh personal statement thread.

Good comments guys. We have some cute family feuds on SDN.

Esamoham, you are the one that takes threads off subject. You did it with your most recent post. You asked how to write your personal statement when the topic is how to prepare for a specific interview. It's not a bad thing to ask questions but you might consider creating a new thread or looking for one that already answers your questions. In fact, it might be a good idea to start a new thread about personal statements. I know that some people are getting ready for the next cycle and it might be good to start a fresh personal statement thread.
You gave me an excellent answer to my question so now let's just leave it at that.

Sorry about the negative experience you had at your interview.

Thanks for the heads up about the interview atmosphere, as I do have a few poor grades that I will need to explain.

Review the interview feedback page and answer the questions beforehand. Think of some questions to ask your interviewers (student and the doc). Relax.
No one knows what percentage of students are accepted post-interview. That info isn't given out by the schools.

Thanks, I didn't even notice that NYCPM was in the interview feedback page.

About the percentage accepted post-interview: yeah, I figured they didn't give out the information, but I was just curious as on Wiki it said they accept ~50% of their applicants, so I was wondering if that was pre or post interview.

ouch, that burn
:corny:

OP, you'll be fine. If you have things in your application that need to be explained then do so in a way that isn't too defensive. Just have a conversation with them (faculties & student). Best way to hit it out of the park is to remain calm and take control. They're not out to get you, this whole interview process is two-way.

Some of the best advice I've had was from my UGrad advisor. He said there's a reason they want you, so they're using this as a way to get to know you. If your stats weren't where they needed to be you wouldn't even get an invite. You've already accomplished half the battle. Biggest thing is to be cordial to everyone and make it seem as if you're as comfortable as possible.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't be nervous. If you were given an interview they obviously see something they like. To prepare I would browse the interview feedback on here,
Look over their website, and have a list of questions for when they ask 'do you have any questions?'. Maybe make a list
Of things you're looking for in a program?

Just don't be weird or rude... Which can be difficult for some to follow.

Don't forget- you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you.

Uh, liar. Word of advice if you ever do get accepted: stay hungry and stay humble. Clearly your attitude has already been evident here to upper classmen. Don't dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Uh, liar. Word of advice if you ever do get accepted: stay hungry and stay humble. Clearly your attitude has already been evident here to upper classmen. Don't dig a deeper hole for yourself.
What.....

Anybody wondering about waitlist movement. I was put on the KSU waitlist in October and was accepted last week with scholarship. It was a long wait but don't give up hope. I'm going to have to reconsider my school choices now

EDIT: I meant to post this in the 2015-2016 cycle thread my bad. Mods can delete this if you want