Nervous about my Freshman year start

Started by WarrenPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WarrenPT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wrapping up my first year at my university and would like to share my concerns with you all and see if I am thinking straight.

My first semester grades were as follows:
Military Science 101 - A+
Personal Fitness (Exercise Science Major Requirement) - A+
Biology L112 (Intro) - C+
Anthropology A105 (Arts and Humanities class) - A
Sociology 101 - A
Spanish S200 - B+

Second semester comes around and this happens...

Intro to exercise science - B+
Intro chemistry (Not a pre-req for PT school, but more of a preparation) - B-
Spanish S250 - B
First Aid and CPR - A-

Now my question is that we have a program at our school that allows up to 10 credits to be retaken before the end of sophomore year where if you retake a class the GPA is not averaged between the old and the new, but replaced.

For my #1 pick, IUPUI, C103 and Bio L112 are not science pre-reqs but I feel as if I do not do well in Chemistry at the intro level getting a B-, that if I go to a more advanced level come the fall semester I won't be getting high enough grades to satisfy admissions.

What is your advice? Do I retake intro biology and chemistry to get the intro classes and skills down before moving up and to also improve my overall GPA or do I just continue with classes and try to do better next time?
 
Don't waste your time and money by retaking classes that aren't pre reqs. You're only a freshman. Move on.
 
C's are always a little bit concerning, but I definitely wouldn't retake the chemistry class as it won't really be needed for anything anyway...general biology may or may not be a pre-req depending on where you go, but often it isn't. Was it a one semester intro to biology course or the first half of a 1 year sequence?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
C's are always a little bit concerning, but I definitely wouldn't retake the chemistry class as it won't really be needed for anything anyway...general biology may or may not be a pre-req depending on where you go, but often it isn't. Was it a one semester intro to biology course or the first half of a 1 year sequence?

I am on the edge between a B- and a C+ for intro chemistry which prepares me for Chem 1 and Chem 2 which are pre-reqs and I feel that if I can't get a good grade in that class, moving to more advanced classes will just hurt me.

Biology was a one semester (fall semester for me) intro to biology course.