Nervous About the AOA Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pochi111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been stressing about the ortho AOA match. I just received an email from one of my rotations saying that they are "not recruiting for the 2019 academic year" anymore. Now I'm finding myself scrambling for another audition rotation to fill that month, which honestly threw off my plans quite a bit. I was wondering if this was going to become a recurring theme throughout the year with more programs either not achieving accreditation or simply dropping out of the match? AOA Opportunities website just updated their 2019 AOA match status and there are currently 27/42 programs who are either "under review" or will not participate in the match this year. Only 15 programs currently state that they will participate in the AOA match this year which ultimately means less and less spots for us applicants.

I guess my question is, what does "under review" really mean and is it worth setting up or keeping audition rotations who are "under review" at this time? I don't want to find myself in a situation where they pull the rug out from under me last second. Come July when ERAS opens up, will we know for sure whether or not these programs are actually going to participate in the AOA match or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your'e registered for the AOA match you should've gotten an e-mail today explaining the under review designation. If not I'lll paste it here for you:

"Dear D.O. Applicant,

As the opening of the residency recruitment and match season draws near, some American Osteopathic Association (AOA) training programs are still in the process of transitioning to Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accreditation. New AOA standards require a formal review of AOA training programs before they are able to register in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®). The AOA Program Trainee Review Council (PTRC) will meet on July 19, 2018 to determine eligibility of the training programs to participate in the 2019 AOA Match. AOA programs that are granted PTRC approval to participate will be able to register in ERAS shortly after July 19, 2018.

Because of the timing of these decisions, these AOA programs may begin recruiting several days after ERAS opens for programs on July 15, 2018. Therefore, applicants and schools should be aware that additional AOA programs could have their status change from “Not Participating” to “Participating” (accepting applications) in ERAS after July 19, 2018.

We appreciate your patience during this transition. If there are any questions about the process, please email the AOA at [email protected] or call (312) 202-8272. For questions about applying to programs in ERAS, please contact the ERAS HelpDesk or call (202) 828-0413.
Regards,

The ERAS Team"

Yeah, I saw that email the morning after I posted this. Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been stressing about the ortho AOA match. I just received an email from one of my rotations saying that they are "not recruiting for the 2019 academic year" anymore. Now I'm finding myself scrambling for another audition rotation to fill that month, which honestly threw off my plans quite a bit. I was wondering if this was going to become a recurring theme throughout the year with more programs either not achieving accreditation or simply dropping out of the match? AOA Opportunities website just updated their 2019 AOA match status and there are currently 27/42 programs who are either "under review" or will not participate in the match this year. Only 15 programs currently state that they will participate in the AOA match this year which ultimately means less and less spots for us applicants.

I guess my question is, what does "under review" really mean and is it worth setting up or keeping audition rotations who are "under review" at this time? I don't want to find myself in a situation where they pull the rug out from under me last second. Come July when ERAS opens up, will we know for sure whether or not these programs are actually going to participate in the AOA match or not?
Which program was it that said that?

Yep, seems like the last 10 or so programs (only 28 available on ERAS as of right now) just need to finish filing some paperwork for ERAS and it'll be a very similar match to previous years. Awesome news for all us DO ortho bros.

Reactions: 1 user